Long lost LW!!

Tantrica
on 3/22/15 2:00 am - An Army Base, XX

Hi all, 

I got a message from OH yesterday in my email box, wishing me a happy Surgiversary and I thought I'd pop in an say hello to all of you that are still here!!  I see a few familiar names and faces still on the boards and many Newbies as well!!  7 years ago, this board was my lifeline.  I credit the support and amazing women here with much of my success, helping me stay on track and motivated when I just wanted a doughnut!!  So here's a year 7 update for all of you!

3 years ago my hubby was medically retired from the Army due to injuries he sustained in Iraq.  We really thought the Army was our forever career and were quite surprised to be headed out the door to civilian life after 13 years.....especially with no plan what-so-ever for a life after the Army!!  The one thing we were both sure of, was that processed foods from the store were slowly killing us and our children soooooo we left Alaska and..... We bought an 84 acre, organic farm, goats, cows, sheep, pigs, chickens, horses, and dug up a garden plot....5,000sq ft of garden plot in fact!!  As of this year our farm is completely sustainable other than a small amount of grain used to supplement our grass fed flocks and herds.  We produce all out own food including dairy and are completely free of the grocery store other than paper products and the occasional fruit or veggie that we can't grow here in Kentucky.  It was a steep learning curve for a couple city kids with nothing but big dreams, but we've grown and learned and couldn't be happier with our choice.  Our small original purchases of of livestock has grown and we now have 24 goats, 12 sheep, 2 pregnant piggies and a male, 5 cows, 100+ chickens, and 3 horses.  (Not to mention the house pets, haha)  Our freezers and bellies are full and we know exactly what went into every bite that goes into us!!

On the WLS side of life, for those of you that don't know me from before, I started out at 260 lbs. and I was just shy of 5'5. I chose LapBand Surgery, because my insurance only offered it or RNY.   I was lucky enough to gain an inch of height in my journey, I'm almost 5'6 now, BONUS!!  haha.  I was blessed to lose my weight quickly, followed Major Mom's example and lost nearly as quickly as our RNY and DSers here on the board.  18 months post-op I reached 100% of my excess weight gone, in fact I just kept on going!! By the time I was 3 years post-op I was at the low end of my healthy weight range and bordering on being underweight for my height so I went to work to gain some muscle and strength.  I got a degree in Personal Training and Nutrition and got my rear in shape.  About a year after that I fell ill.  Once every 6 weeks or so for 3 YEARS(!!!!!)  I'd have horrible stomach pain, vomiting, nausea, cramps, low grade fever, etc; for 5-10 days!  By the end hubby would have to scoop me up and carry me to the ER for fluid and medication.  I honestly thought I was dying.  I saw several different doctors, had a myriad of tests, scans, and the works with no results.  General consensus was that "This just happens to WLS patients" and I should get used to it or have my Band removed.  I LOVE my band (I haven't always, we hated each other for many years, lol), there was NO WAY it was going anywhere, so I suffered.  Finally I found a doctor that would listen to me; she spent hours with me going over diet, supplements, scans, x-rays, labs and my experiences, at my first apt with her.  One week later she removed my gallbladder and VIOLA, I've been healthy as a horse since, even gained 15 pounds (Don't worry, It was MUCH needed, I was so thin I FELT frail, yuck) So current stats at 7 years post op are 5'6 ALMOST, and 125-130 pounds depending on the day.  I'm about a size 2 and I feel like a million bucks :)  I think I got lucky, perhaps, or maybe our mega lifestyle change made a huge difference, but I rarely have to think about meals these days or watch over how much I eat.  My band still handles portion control and I still make good choices....most of the time.  I'm human, I like cake occasionally, as much as the next guy ;)  I had 8CC's in a 10CC band at my last adjustment over 4 years ago.  I've never felt the need for another since.  I've had no band related issues, other than a dislodged port many, many years ago, replaced with a low profile port.  No slips, no erosion, no nothing, just a good happy healthy band.  

Hope all is well with the rest of you!!  Life is VERY busy these days and I get little free time for the computer, but I think of many of you often!!

Kari

Doingrightin2015
on 3/22/15 2:12 am
RNY on 03/10/15

Kari,

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your story with us. What an amazing person you are. You are in KY. I love KY that is where my family roots are. I also lived there for 15 years. Miss it. But back in Ohio where I was born. Back here now 21 years. Still visit KY...still have family there.

Doingitright2015

HW in life 282 HW265 at start SW 244 CW170

Navychic
on 3/22/15 4:02 am
RNY on 02/09/15

Wow Kari, really great story.  Glad to hear you are doing so well.  I gotta say I am impressed with your families commitment to "Go for it", wow on starting a farm with no experience.  I dream about someday making a lifestyle chg of moving down to the med and be a beach family like you see on TV (not that that's anything like what you have done), but I don't think I will ever have the willpower to do such a drastic big change.  For me I think it will stay a dream...

But I do agree the LW board is great!

I'm Jo   HW 245, SW 236, CW 151 Yeah (Normal BMI!!!!)

M1=213 (-23), M2=201 (-12), M3=186 (-15), M4=175(-11), M5=166(-9), M6=157(-9), M7=153(-4) 

JB1114
on 3/22/15 4:09 am - Grain Valley, MO

You have really had a life change and what a success.  I've known of several that had the  band and weren't successful at all.  One woman I worked with had it, lost about 80 lbs. but went back to eating lots of junk food and lots of alcohol and regained.  You have to use the band or RNY or whatever WLS wisely and you have done that.

~Jo~

RNY: July 8, 2008

Dr. John Price

Kansas City, MO

Price S.
on 3/22/15 7:50 am - Mills River, NC

congrats on a successful life.  You should be the poster child for bands!!!

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Jody ***
on 3/22/15 11:33 pm - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with

Hi Kari!  You have had SO many life events and changes and I'm glad I got to follow them on FB!  I LOVE how your farm is self-sustainable and your pics of your new farm babies.

Good to see you here again and that you are successful in life and with your WLS. 

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

Roz !!!!
on 3/23/15 1:25 am - Butler, PA

Kari I'm so glad you checked in!!   Happy Surgiversary!!!! 

You are only the 2nd person I know who has been successful with the Band (the other one goes to WW meetings).  Congrats to you!!!

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

lerkhart
on 3/23/15 5:08 am

Wow Kari, congratulations on your success.  Sounds like you are doing great and living a wonderful life!!

Linda

14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 286 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 410 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 470 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 495 views