Is it Mind Over Matter?

Jennifer G.
on 3/25/15 10:24 am

So of course I'm new to this whole new life style.  I was wondering if anyone went through the start of their weight loss feeling they are losing the weight but when they looked in the mirror didn't see it? 

I'm asking because in the start of my progress I felt the weight coming off because my clothes were getting bigger on me. But whenever I looked in the mirror I felt like I was still the same person who started this whole thing at 299 pounds. Is this normal? 

Gastro sleeve 11/20/2014, Starting weight 299, Current weight 230.5 ,Goal weight 190 or less.   

TanyaRN
on 3/25/15 10:31 am - Palm Bay, FL

very normal.....I am 11 years out and Still sometimes see the old me. Chronicle your journey with pics, measurements, et****pt one pair of my old jeans. It was a real eye opener to put those on and watch them fall to the floor

Jennifer G.
on 3/25/15 10:36 am

I'm putting my old clothes on still.  I can now fit into size 22 pants ans 2x shirt but I still put my 26/28 pants on and my 5 or 6x shirts. I can't seem to say goodbye to the big clothes. And everyone keeps saying what are you doing? And I'm always saying nothing what does it look I'm doing lol. And their response is you don't fit them anymore they ate swimming on you. And I say but I'm comfortable so what's the big deal. And then I get dirty looks. 

I know this is all new to me because I'm only four months into this but when do I finally give up my old life style and take on my new one?

Gastro sleeve 11/20/2014, Starting weight 299, Current weight 230.5 ,Goal weight 190 or less.   

Price S.
on 3/25/15 12:05 pm - Mills River, NC

it took me quite a while to come to grips with the "new" me.  And I kept heading into the big girl area of shops.  I couldn't figure out who that was in the mirror.  I still look at my pants before I put them on and wonder how they will ever fit.

yep, it is a process.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Jennifer G.
on 3/25/15 7:25 pm

Well it's good to know that I'm not allow on this topic. Because it came to a point were I was like I don't want to look in the mirror since I didn't know myself.  I take pictures and I'm like who's this person I've never been this thin and all. So I guess till I finally understand that it's me I'm going to continue to wear my plus size clothes that are really big on me. Thanks for letting me know I'm not crazy and alone.

italianspice
on 3/26/15 1:05 am - Eastlake, OH

Definitely not crazy or alone! 

I still find when I am folding clothes, I cant believe how small my underwear are! LOL!!!

Still granny panties, but a much smaller version! 

~Maria

SW 230 Preop 205 GW 130 LW 131 CW 135 Ht 5'1"

Jennifer G.
on 3/26/15 10:25 pm

It's ashame when you refuse to get rid of any of your big clothes and you continue to wear them bra and underwear and all. Lol

singdoremi
on 3/26/15 3:04 am - NJ

Sometimes I see my old "fat" face when I look in the mirror. This usually happens after I have had a day or two of unhealthy eating. It takes a while to accept your changed body!

VSG 6/4/13
Ellen

Jennifer G.
on 3/26/15 10:26 pm

I can totally agree with you on this. There is times I see myself and then their times I see the old me and turn around and walk away from the mirror. 

Koko10
on 3/29/15 10:24 pm - NC

My surgery was February 1, 2011, so I am 4 year out. I just recently, within the last 6 months, began to see what other people see when they look at me. I always saw the bigger me. I used to immediately head to the section of clothes for sizes 18-22! The more people asked me questions and said, I cannot see you large enough to have had gastric bypass, and I show them pictures, I can see the difference in then and now. You will get there.

Height 5'0 HW-247; SW- 238; GW-140  

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 287 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 413 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 474 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 496 views