At two years out I'm considering revision anyone from VSG to Bypass?

Jenniflower75
on 5/10/15 3:57 am

Wednesday is my two year marker and I'm making an appointment this week to find out about a revision from VSG to RNY I'm not sure if this is considered a DS or not but the doctor considers it a revision.  I'm hoping to find out from two hospitals to see which is better suited for me. The original doctor who did my surgery is no longer in the area.. (moved to a different country) So I'm starting fresh any way with a new doc and possibly a new hospital. I guess what I'm wondering is if anyone has had this revision and how it went? I eat the way I'm supposed to but my biggest downfall is the coffee I drink because I use powdered creamer and a lot of it. I"m on a clean diet so I'm eating good. Nothing processed (with the occasional slip up) I do not drink alcohol or carbonated drinks and I do not drink with my meals. Though I could slow down when i eat. I know how much to eat so I just eat it normal instead of slow and steady and I don't have ill effects. Anyway I would love to  hear feed back on the revision portion of the surgery. THanks

southernlady5464
on 5/10/15 5:39 am

No, a revision from the VSG to the RNY would make a pouch out of your sleeve, eliminating your pyloric valve. A DS leaves your sleeve ALONE and adds the rerouting of the guts. AND allows for more normal eating than the RNY...protein and fat first.

One thing you will learn IF you revise to a DS is to adjust your current diet to allow for MORE fat. So that creamer you currently use would need to be replaced with heavy whipping cream which is far lower in carb count than powdered creamer any day!

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

MajorMom
on 5/10/15 6:36 am - VA

I agree with Liz, a DS might be a better option if you want to keep your sleeve and the benefits that go with it.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Navychic
on 5/10/15 6:46 am
RNY on 02/09/15

I like what I learned here and just use the protein powder slurry(for the flavor ie chocolate or mint or vanilla, etc) & some almond milk as my creamer... positive from what you consider a negative previously ;-)

I'm Jo   HW 245, SW 236, CW 151 Yeah (Normal BMI!!!!)

M1=213 (-23), M2=201 (-12), M3=186 (-15), M4=175(-11), M5=166(-9), M6=157(-9), M7=153(-4) 

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 287 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 412 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 473 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 495 views