Question for Lightweights

avivaps
on 6/25/15 8:19 pm
RNY on 02/28/12

I'm 3 years plus out from RNY.  Was 204 lb, 5' tall, sleep apnea, borderline BP (similar story to you).  I considered sleeve due to my history of migraines and limitations of anti-inflammatory use after RNY.  However my surgeon encouraged me to pursue RNY and I have no regrets.  Migraines actually a lot better and respond well to tylenol/caffeine tablets.   I honestly believe that a MAJOR part of LONG TERM success is how much we are willing to work our tool (rather than presume the will do all the work for us).  I had an easy surgery and recovery, my labs have been good - I had a low Vit D but higher dose has rectified this.  

I think ultimately if you are prepared for the hard work of changing lifestyle and working consistently on changes over the years (not just months) then either tool will work for you.

Good luck

Andrea.

RNY February 2012

starting BMI 40

sbrown921
on 7/22/15 9:08 am

Andrea, I don't know if you will see this but I'm currently in the process of getting approved for the sleeve. My surgery is tentatively scheduled for 8/19/15. I'm 32 205, 5'1 with sleep apnea.

May I ask you a question? If it's to personal I totally understand you not wanting to answer. How much loss/excess skin did you have after you total weight loss. I'm asking because I've been scouring all over the internet searching for someone in my shoes, who is considered a WLS lightweight. 

Your response would be greatly appreciated. Once again I apologize if it's to personal for you to answer and understand if you feel uncomfortable answering. I'm trying to do as much research as possible to prepare myself for the life changing event.

Sheena

avivaps
on 7/22/15 1:29 pm
RNY on 02/28/12

My excess skin is ugly (naked) but not unbearable.  I have loose flabby thighs and jiggly tummy but things don't hang over to the point of making wearing pants difficult or make me terribly unbalanced.  I would love to get a tummy tuck and breast lift but if I never do I will still be very happy with my results (especially clothed :)  I was big breasted my whole life and they have really deflated and sagged since losing weight.  I was also surprised how my faced wrinkled.  I had never considered myself a vain person but was thrilled when cheekbones I never knew I had appeared.   However, the were accompanied by some turkey neck and smile lines I wasn't expecting for a few years yet.  I have tried not to let the negative changes take away from the absolutely, life-chaning, amazing results of the overall weight loss.  Even 3 years out I still pass my reflect and gasp in amazement that it is me, the slim person, in the reflection.  I still jump for joy and grin like an idiot when I realize I have fit into a small or medium in the store.  This journey has been an absolutely phenomenal gift and even if I never have that tummy tuck, breast lift or botox I am eternally grateful for this new life. 

Sheena, if you have a specific question or want more clarification please feel free to ask.

Good luck on your journey.

Andrea.

RNY February 2012

starting BMI 40

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 285 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 409 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 469 views