A Day in the Surgery Waiting Room

JB1114
on 7/22/15 7:23 pm - Grain Valley, MO

DH has knee replacement surgery today so I was at the hospital from 8:00 a.m. until 7:00 p.m.  I did plan my food rather than make bad choices.  I drank an Organic Muscle Milk on the way, had a Corozonas for a morning snack and for lunch a salad with grilled chicken and a small cup of soup. I came home and had a brat and cottage cheese.

The surgery went well.  All the cartilage in his knee was gone.  He has a few weeks of recovery ahead of him.

The scale just isn't budging.  For the first time since WLS I'm not happy with my appearance and feeling like I've failed.  I saw my surgeon today when he came out to talk to a patient's family.  I keep thinking I'll schedule a visit with him, but really I just want to talk to the dietician. 

I've got to get myself motivated to eat properly every day and to start exercising.

~Jo~

RNY: July 8, 2008

Dr. John Price

Kansas City, MO

MajorMom
on 7/23/15 2:33 am - VA

It's likely not so much you failing but your body adapting and fighting back. Increasing the exercise and reducing carbs is a great way to do battle. 

Good luck to your hubby. I've seen a lot of folks recovering from knee surgery and it does take some time.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Price S.
on 7/23/15 4:47 am - Mills River, NC

My knee replacement was the hardest recovery I have ever had and I basically did it twice, same knee, because of scar tissue and they put me under and bent it after 2 months and we started all over again.  At the same time, some folks breeze through it.

My exercise has been down this week because the gym was being refinished so all classes were cancelled.  That is an excuse, not a reason, I certainly could have gone to workout without class or walked.  I really love that class and for me, the key or one of them is to find something I love and do it.  Then it is fun, not a chore. 

I do have times when my eating isn't as good but it doesn't vary much.  At least for me, those little blips seem to add up.  I think my major problem is I am eating and exercising for maintenance at 134, not 127.  That doesn't seem like much but on my 4'11" body, it is.  It is the difference in a 4-6 or a 8-10 in pants.  So that is what I have to figure out, how to eat and exercise for 127 not 134.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Roz !!!!
on 7/24/15 10:55 am - Butler, PA

I know so many people have or are going to get their knees done recently.  Hope he does well with the physical therapy.  I hear it's pretty intense.

Are you struggling because you aren't working every day?  It would be really hard for me to be home and not on some kind of schedule.

You should make that dietician appointment.  Some encouraging or maybe just a few suggestions might make a world of difference. My Surgeon left within a few weeks after I had surgery and I've only been back to the office 3 times in seven years.  I did call the office this past week on advice about my low B-12 and then I passed the info on to my PCP.

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

JB1114
on 7/24/15 6:51 pm - Grain Valley, MO

Roz, I do better when I'm at home.  I have breakfast around 9:00 a.m when I'm home.  When I'm working I start the day with a protein shake around 6:45.  I have more hours to cover when I'm working.  Many times the jobs I'm working are boring, not very busy and I want to eat but I'm really just bored.  

I saw my surgeon twice this week but I didn't say anything to him.  The first time he was talking to a patient's family and was across the room from me.  It really wasn't appropriate for me to speak to him.  Yesterday I saw him in the hallway at the hospital and wish I had spoke to him.  He wouldn't remember my name.  The surgery was 7 years ago an it's been 3 years since I've seen him.  

A part of me didn't want to talk to him because I've gained weight.  However, it probably isn't noticeable to anyone but me.  Most of my clothes still fit that I've had for a few years.  I know I will feel better about myself if I lose the excess lbs.

~Jo~

RNY: July 8, 2008

Dr. John Price

Kansas City, MO

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 278 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 403 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 464 views