Other Protein Sources

kbennett2013
on 10/21/15 1:02 pm

Hi EVERYONE :)

I hope you are having a fabulous day! I had VSG on 7/27/2015 HW 310 CW 245.

I am not a big meat eatter, and am struggling with protein. I"m not a huge fish, shellfish eater either (hence my problem).

Does anyone eat peanut butter? What do you all use that perhaps are good for protein, when you just can't force yourself to eat a hunk of turkey, or just another yogurt?

Also, do any of you other VSG's eat carbs? Does anyone ever get to eat bread, rice, pasta again or are we forbidden for ALL ETERNITY?

I'm hoping that y'all have some good awnsers and if you all have questions I'm more than happy to respond back. We all need to know that even if we don't have good support systems. On this site you don't have to explain or defend your choice.

With Love,

Kristin

VSG 7/27/2015

lerkhart
on 10/21/15 4:37 pm

Do you do protein drinks? That is what a lot of us use so we don't have to worry as much about eating enough protein. I use the Syntrax Nectars that have 0 carbs and around 100 calories per scoop. It is the correct type of protein for my surgery type. I love the Lemon Tea, Latte Cappuccino, Chocolate Oreo and Chocolate Truffle.

I have eaten peanut butter, but it has a lot of fat and calories so you have to be careful with it. I think if you have a DS you need to eat more fat but not with RNY or a sleeve.

Carbs will never be good for you, they cause you to eat more carbs and it is just a cycle that leads you down the wrong weight loss path. Several of us on here know this because we have struggled with it. My advise is to never start something that you know might be a problem for you. I am sure if you can eat small amounts and keep it under control it would be ok when you get further out. I still can't do a slice of bread, but I had RNY, it just doesn't sit well in my pouch.

Good luck!!

Linda

14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
(deactivated member)
on 10/21/15 7:20 pm

Nuts and cheeses of all kinds are great sources of protein.

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 10/22/15 4:47 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Nuts are not great sources of protein. They are important in other ways, but not really as a source of protein. Reg cheese is a little better. How about LF cottage cheese, ect?

Natural Almonds (America's Choice)

Per 12 almonds - Calories: 85kcal | Fat: 7.50g | Carbs: 3.00g | Protein: 3.00g Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese (Tillamook) Per 1 oz - Calories: 110kcal | Fat: 9.00g | Carbs: 0.00g | Protein: 7.00g

Sharon

Roz !!!!
on 10/22/15 8:08 am - Butler, PA

I don't think you can compare Protein to Protein. You have to compare Protein to Carbs. When you comparing Nuts to "bad" carbs they are a great source of Protein.

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 10/23/15 7:19 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

You still have to eat a lot of nuts to get in much protein. I can't do much more than a handfull.

Sharon

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 10/22/15 4:38 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

How far out from surgery are you?

PB - not much protein. That's a lot of PB to get in your protein on a regular basis. I'm good with many sources of protein, but at 10 months out, I do use some of the high-protein versions of pancakes and Pretzels (from dietdirect.com and other vendors) and these new Quest chips - 20gms protein per 120 calorie package. I used to like pancakes better but now my taste buds are not so happy with them.

They are individually packed with helps with portion size, but they are expensive, so they are not a daily item. I still use protein shakes a few times a week.

There are 94 calories in 1 tablespoon of Peanut Butter.

Calorie breakdown: 72% fat, 12% carbs,16% protein.

Sharon

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 10/22/15 4:40 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

I just saw your surgery date. You're not that far out - I'd contact your NUT and see what suggestions they have.

Sharon

Roz !!!!
on 10/22/15 8:12 am, edited 10/22/15 1:12 am - Butler, PA

Welcome to the LW Board! If you could put your Surgery Type and Date in your heading where you listed your Surgeon or Signature that would be great!

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 10/23/15 6:43 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

When I go to my profile, it is there. A few weeks ago I wondered why it doesn't show-up. I think it used to. I'll check into it again.

In the meantime, I had RNY on 12-22-14. (I remember because I busted out of the hospital on Christmas Eve.) I'm down 105 pounds from surgery, still losing, and staying on track. I do not have an exact goal weight anymore, but I have 25-30 pounds yet to get to my California weight (ie - from when I lived in California and at non-overweight BMI). I cannot believe that I will soon schedule my first 1-year check up.

I was in last Tuesday to my Supp Gr and my PA said I was doing well. I told her thanks to her, because I did not do this alone. That is how I feel about the people on this website - they have really been (and are) important to me.

Sharon

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 287 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 410 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 471 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 495 views