Needing a Pick Me Up!

davenportcrd0106
on 11/10/15 9:53 am

Hello fellow lightweights!  Am needing some encouragement here.  Am told by Doctor that I only have 2 thing to do.....1) Keep my A1C under 7 and 2) Shrink my liver.  My surgery date is scheduled for 01/26/16, so I will work on "shrinking the liver" diet on Dec 26th.  Right now, I must keep my A1C down.  I had lab work last week and it was 6.8.  Although that IS below the 7.0, I am just concerned it will go up since there isn't a lot of wiggle room.  It seems like the harder I try, the more I seem to gain a pound here and a pound there.  I feel this has got to be pushing my A1C up.  Any advice/suggestions/encouragement??

Thanks to all! This is why I love this Board!

VSG. 01/26/16

Price S.
on 11/11/15 4:41 am - Mills River, NC

I had never been diabetic or thought I was but my initial labs for WLS showed a high A1C.  It was a surprise to everyone.  It was under the limit but was higher than it should be. 

I really have no information but I would think that a good old meat and veggie diet would help.  You need the protein, the fiber from veggies help keep you full.  I would limit carbs, esp. white ones and over processed stuff.  So kind of like Atkins or any low carb diet.  It will help get rid of those carb cravings anyway.  Our 6 month diet was 1500 calories, then 4 weeks of 5 optifast shakes a day and one small food meal (4 oz meat, 1/2c veggies 1 small fruit).

Congrats on your date!!!  Now just to make it through the holidays!!!

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 11/11/15 8:47 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

As you know, the A1C is your sugar level, averaged for the past 90 days.  It's hard to fool it.  So, when you go into surgery on 1/26, your A1C will include all the Thanksgiving stuffing and all the Christmas cookies you've had (and some of the Halloween candy).  For this part of your pre-op requirements, you would be best to start on the low carb stuff right now.  (My surgery was last Dec 22, so I had to do the pre-op diet over thanksgiving and all the holiday parties.  I did it and so can you.) 

It's great that you have a date. Put on your big girl pants and get ready for WLS!!    

Sharon

italianspice
on 11/11/15 9:13 am - Eastlake, OH

To keep your A1C down you have to limit your carbs. Stay away from the refined carbs and move more! It will help with the stress too! Stress elevates blood sugar, so try to walk and do some deep breathing!

Congrats on the beginning of your journey!

~Maria

SW 230 Preop 205 GW 130 LW 131 CW 135 Ht 5'1"

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 286 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 410 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 471 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 495 views