New here... Been lurking

Ifoundmywhy
on 1/8/16 2:34 pm

I had my RNY on 11/17/15. My weight was 216. I am down to 186, and I am almost 2 months out. I'm no longer diabetic and am off my blood pressure meds. Those were my main reasons to do this surgery. I was so focused on my diabetes going away I never really inquired about weight loss and the time it would take to lose weight. I wasn't even given a "goal" so to speak. So what should I expect to lose? And am I losing at a good rate? I'm 33 and 5' tall. Just wanted some insight/opinions 

Price S.
on 1/8/16 4:56 pm - Mills River, NC

Welcome    sounds like you are doing great!! 

Some dr don't give goals or some will give you 80% of your excess weight or some will want you to get into a normal BMI.  If you look around on this site, there is a post surgery tracker that will give you some idea of how you are doing.  Every time I looked because I thought I was losing too slow, I would be ahead or right on track .  It was a great support to me as I went along the journey.

As a lightweight, you are likely to lose for at least a year although not as fast as you have been.  You will start slowing down around 5-6 months.  Some lightweights reach normal BMI in about 7 months, others take longer.  It really doesn't matter because once you reach goal, you just keep on keeping on.  Maintainance is forever so no rush to get there.  And it is hard.  So spend this time learning to eat right, shopping at Thrift stores because you are going to change sizes so fast you can't wear anything out, exercising and enjoying all the non-scale victories like being able to tie your shoes, cross your legs, etc. 

Hang on   It's quite a wild ride.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

MajorMom
on 1/9/16 3:36 am - VA

Welcome aboard and congratulations on your successes so far.  

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Roz !!!!
on 1/9/16 5:56 am - Butler, PA

Welcome to our Lightweight Board!!!  Sounds like you doing awesome getting off some of your meds and on the scale!  I'm sooo happy that you are only 33!!  So many young exciting years in your future! 

Every LW loses at their own rate.  We all have different eating habits and food needs.  I eat small frequent meals. That's basically how I ate before WLS but my meals consisted of pancakes, sweets, bread, fried potatoes, etc. Now it's protein and limited carbs.  I lost weight for over 2 years and at 7+ years out I've done really well keeping it off. I never stressed over how long it took me. My goal was to learn what works for me and being consistent. Also posting on the LW board has been a great support system for me.

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

lerkhart
on 1/9/16 1:58 pm

Welcome to the LW Board.  Sounds like you are doing great!!

I think my surgeon said he would be thrilled with 80%.  I went below that and stayed there for a few years.  I have had some regain the last two years and working to get it off.

Go as low as you can because you will have regain.

Use this time to change your eating habits and try not to let the old habits back in.  Try to do low carb and stay low carb.  Carbs will slow down or stop your weight loss.

Good luck and keep us updated!

Linda

14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 285 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 409 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 469 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 493 views