New member to the WLS Lightweights

Teri P.
on 1/28/19 8:16 pm
RNY on 01/15/19

Hello from Teri38

I just had my RNY on Jan 15th, the day after my 62nd birthday. Happy Birthday to me! I was glad to see this forum available and hope to learn a lot. I am 5 feet tall, with highest weight (in 2011) of 220. August 2018 down to 203 when I started this journey. The morning of surgery I was 188.8.

I am still on my post op liquid diet and go for my 2 week post-op visit on Wednesday. I have lost 5 pounds so far and actually thought I might have lost more. Anyway, I am 100% on board with no cheating and it is a different feeling to be excited to go to a physician and actually be excited about weighing in! (I would have downloaded my photo, but can't get my photos to open!)

The hardest thing right now is getting in the protein and liquids. I am doing it, but feeling full a lot! Never thought I would dread having to eat/drink more. I know that won't last.

The big things on my mind are fear of eating again as so many people seem to stretch out their pouch and gain weight back. Every time I feel full I am worried I am stretching out my pouch. I am going to talk to the dietician about calorie goals for meals and protein goals from hereon out. I am not so young and don't have time to be gaining weight back. I already threw away one blood pressure medicine and my metformin. FBS is 92-99 ( YEAH!!)

Anyway, a couple of people in my orientation class said, " why are you here? you look fine to me?" My reply was-- " Well, that's not what the charts say and that's not what my numbers say." I have told only an handful of family and friends. I do have 3 very supportive friend/family members who have all had RNY, one struggling and two holding close to goal (but both of them have gained 40+ pounds and lost it again). I want to stay on this website and keep finding people who have been there.

Pure_Prairie
on 1/30/19 6:45 pm
VSG on 01/10/19

Hi Teri,

Welcome to lightweights, tomorrow is my 3 week mark. I am also 5 feet, and got similar comments. However, 35 BMI is 35 whether you are 5 feet or 6 feet.

The liquids were so tough for me too. I try every day to get enough but good grief, I am like you, I feel full and I quit as soon as I do. Water is a daily struggle, I get a great start but by the afternoon around 4 I feel like I cannot drink anymore water.

Congrats on loosing the meds! That has been a NSV for me as well. I told only family & 1 friend so far. I am more comfortable now than I was pre - op talking about it but just like the rest of my medical history I don't share it as a general rule.

Tomorrow is my BIG day, solids! I am also nervous about making sure I am eating the right foods, but also worried about getting enough protein eating tiny amounts. So I am sure shake days are still in my future. Keep us updated on your post op appt and how you are doing.

HW: 183 Pre-Op: 171 Post WLS Month 1: 149 Month 2: 141 Month 3: 133

Surgeon's goal: 128 My Goal: 118

Teri P.
on 1/31/19 8:00 pm
RNY on 01/15/19

Dear Pure_Prairie,

Thanks for the reply. So you are a week ahead of me, so you are on soft foods as well I guess. Good luck with the regular diet transition. I had to drink 2 shakes today to get in my protein, but did enjoy some homemade chicken salad (2 oz) and two club crackers and yogurt. Amazing the small amount that fills me up, but that makes me happy !!!

Good luck and I hope we meet our goals along the journey. I am walking daily and I believe that will help! Take care and good vibes your way!

Teri

Ginnny
on 2/1/19 6:25 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

I would leave out the crackers going forward. It may say on your plan that they are allowed but most successful people here don't eat simple carbs during the weight loss phase. No potatoes, pasta, rice, bread, crackers, chips, etc. etc.

Protein protein protein, and then if there's room non starchy veg. It's up to you - you will still lose weight because the surgery is doing all the work, but if you avoid these things from the start it will make it much easier for you the further out you get.

Over 100 lbs lost! and 13 lbs below goal weight!

Teri P.
on 2/1/19 5:01 pm
RNY on 01/15/19

thank you, Ginnny I will leave off the crackers. Carbs are addictive and don't want to go there. So, I will go get my egg salad and subtract the 2 crackers I had planned. I want to get to goal!!

Ginnny
on 2/2/19 4:04 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

Awesome!

Ginnny
on 1/31/19 1:06 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

The Lightweight Board is not very active any more. You may find you get more feedback if you just post on the regular RNY forum.

Getting in your protein and liquids is your job right now. Sugar free popsicles, jello, protein shakes, decaf coffee/tea all count as liquids. Of course water is necessary too.

In the first weeks many people use protein shakes to make sure they hit their protein goals. I suggest you visit and participate in the daily menu thread on the RNY forum. You will get lots of meal ideas and get tons of support. Be sure to measure/weigh all your food and stop when it's done or sooner if you feel like you can't tolerate it. Many of your nerves have been cut and will take several weeks to heal. Don't push yourself.

Teri P.
on 1/31/19 8:04 pm
RNY on 01/15/19

Thanks for the reply, Ginnny!

I will take your advice and post on the RNY forum, but will visit this one as well. I found that "what's on your menu" thread and really like it. Thanks for that lead. I really need that type of menu planning help. The RD in my program is willing to see me any time I want, with no charge. The people there are very helpful. I am weighing and measuring all my food and recording all foods and fluids. I would not know where I was every day without that, so glad I did that for the last month or so. Thanks again. Teri

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 286 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 410 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 471 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 495 views