Greetings and a Question!

JenO8396
on 2/7/19 7:14 am, edited 2/7/19 7:19 am

I am so glad to find this forum. I am a fellow lightweight. I began my journey at 5'2" and 195 with a BMI of 35.7. However, I have polycystic ovarian syndrome which comes with a host of weight-related issues including high blood pressure, elevated cholesterol, apple figure, infertility, insulin resistance, to name a few. Thankfully I have not had anything but support from family members, co-workers, and basically everyone. I have had a few people ask me how on earth I qualified, but other than that, nothing but love! The biggest issue I found prior to my gastric bypass on January 22 is that there wasn't really any representation of how my journey might appear. I saw so many posts of people losing 60 pounds in the first few months, but I knew that's not what would happen for me. My entire weight loss will only be 60 to 75 pounds, so there's no way I would lose that amount of weight in a couple months!

So I'm really curious about the journey of some veterans here! How long did it take you to reach your goal? How much weight did you lose the first three months, or six? What have been some of your experiences?

Blessings to all!

Jen

Pure_Prairie
on 2/12/19 9:00 am
VSG on 01/10/19

Hi Jen,

Welcome to LWs.

My journey began at 183, and I am only 5' so my starting BMI was 35. I have gotten feedback on "not looking that heavy" but the scale doesn't lie and BMI is just math...

Every journey is unique but I can share my journey as a LW and even though it hasn't been very long (5 weeks) it has been more successful in my mind.

Pre -op I was 171 lbs, at 1 week I was 161 lbs, 1 month 148 lbs. I can see where it has slowed somewhat, and adding in walking 1 mile a day helped me pick up the pace somewhat.

I am a little less than 20 lbs from my goal and I am sure it will continue to slow but my follow up appt with my surgeon is April 4th, and I would be thrilled to be at my surgeon's goal then. Of course I know it will take upping my exercise even more. His goal for me is 128, which is no longer overweight for my height. However, at 118 I felt amazing, and felt like I looked amazing, that was about 2007 - 2008.

Sorry I cannot offer more data... best wishes on your journey!

HW: 183 Pre-Op: 171 Post WLS Month 1: 149 Month 2: 141 Month 3: 133

Surgeon's goal: 128 My Goal: 118

Roz !!!!
on 3/24/19 5:29 pm - Butler, PA

Hi Jen! I just checked in and was wondering how your journey was going??? I'd like to hear from you if you have time send me a message!!

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

JenO8396
on 3/25/19 8:32 am

Hi Roz! Thanks for checking in with me. I'm two months out and doing really well. I've lost a total of 44 pounds and have 26 more to lose before I reach my goal. Solids are going well and the constipation I was struggling with has resolved now that I've added in Benefiber and a flax/chia/hemp seed blend. I have discovered my body's "please don't take another bite" signal and have been focusing on slowing my eating so that I don't miss it. There have been some minor challenges here and there, but my main focus is changing my relationship with food. My husband is a great support and it's great to see that I'm not the only one who looks to my faith for guidance!

Blessings,

Jen

My goal is to no longer allow food to be detrimental to my health and well-being, but rather learn to utilize food to enhance it!

Roz !!!!
on 4/11/19 1:02 pm - Butler, PA

That's Wonderful!!!!

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 278 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 403 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 464 views
Still kickin'...