Low Ferritin - 15 years post-op

Jennifer K.
on 3/30/21 9:25 am - Phoenix , AZ

Has anybody experienced low ferritin that is 5 years out or further from surgery?

I've been taking my vits/supps daily since surgery, get blood work annually and until two years ago have not had an ongoing issue with iron until now. My last physical in 2019 it was low, they had me add additional iron, did a recheck at 90 days it was improved, reduced the iron, did a recheck at 6 months and all was fine. I stopped the additional iron at that point (my multi has iron). My 2020 physical in August it was extremely low, I had been feeling sluggish, tired and issues with dizziness and that was attributed to the low ferritin. The dr had me taking iron 2 times a day on top of the multi, recheck at 90 days and it improved slightly, she then switched to 3 times a day, another recheck 90 days later (6 months) and it was slightly improved, she had me start tapering down the iron, recheck again in 90 days (9 months) and it was low so they sent me for an endo/colonscopy. Just had a follow up with the GI who said both tests came back fine as well as biopsies and they have no answer as to why and are chalking it up to the gastric bypass. She suggested I go back to the triple iron. They are looking into the cost locally of iron infusions and stated it would be a complete out of pocket cost because insurance will not cover since I am not considered anemic since its only the ferritin that is low.

Looking to see if anybody has had a similar experience and what the reason/treatment path was they followed.

Thanks!

First visit to surgeon - 288 ~ bmi 45.1
2 week pre-op 252 ~ bmi 39.5
Total lost - 153 Since surgery - 117!
Goal weight - 155 (mine) 180 (surgeons)
Current weight - 135 (2020 I lost 10lbs due to dedicating myself to working out more and being in better shape)

Extended TT, lipo, fat injections - 11/2011

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Scar revision on arms - 3/2015

HALO laser on arms/neck 9/2016

Thigh lift 10/2020

Sharon H.
on 6/25/21 5:04 am

I was able to get the infusions so have them appeal. I think mine were because of gastric bypass and my ferritin was 7 at my first infusion. I check about every 3 months or so. Just have the ferritin run. My oncologist (not sure what else to call him because he primarily does oncology) topped me off at 18 I think and you know what I have been fine ever since!

So get them to appeal based on complications of gastric bypass. That may help put it through. Good luck!!!

Sharon

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 288 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 413 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 475 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 496 views