VSG Maintenance Group

Groups » VSG Maintenance Grou... » Discussion » Exercise after 1+ y...

Exercise after 1+ years

VickyO
on 11/30/10 12:57 am, edited 11/30/10 12:59 am - Riverside, CA
Hey guys,
I had vsg surgery in August 2009.  I've lost 130 +/- lbs.  I saw my doc at 1 year and he was very pleases with my results, said I was in the 95 percentile.  I must say I was very pleased too.
So, here I am today, 5 months post vsg.  My doc said most people lose the majority of their weight in the 1st year, so it seems that I've lost some of my enthusiasm for some of the things I did before, like "EXERCISE".  I got into bike riding, long distance stuff and was doing yoga and going to the gym.  I dropped the gym and got a WII thinking I would do that instead.  They gym kinda grossed me out, plus was trying to save some money.  My body tone has dropped drastically cuz I barely do anything now.  I walk the dog, very short distances and that's about it.  I went on a bike ride a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed it, but haven't been back on it since.
I can see the difference, I can feel the difference, but it doesnt' seem enough to get me motivated to get off my ass and do it.  I just saw Cindy's pics (BelizeSleeve) and WOW!  She looks amazing as many of you do too!  Brandilynn is such an inspiration for me.  Exercise is so good for my mind too, but I just can't get motivated.  What kinds of exercise are you going after 1 year out?  Love you!

(deactivated member)
on 11/30/10 1:13 am
VSG on 05/04/09 with
I think, girlie, the best exercise in the world is whatever you will do consistently!

I love love love zumba, after a break, (sick or vacation) I never have to convince myself to go back because its like dancing with my girlfriends, sans the hangover and smelling like bar :} 

I lift because I like how it works, I hike the dogs up and down the hills, because they need it, I do the booty lift exercises because lunges, squats, and deadlifts are just not filling up my flaps - but Zumba is F U N!!  And its not just good for my heart (the muscle) its good for my heart (the joyful part of me!) and my spirit! 

DO you have any bigolhills around where you are that are not filled with cougars?  (the creatures, not the predators :} ) maybe hike your doglet up some hills?

I hope you find something fun!  Bellydancing is fun!  I liked it, but it collided with my Zumba classes, and I can go heavy/harder much easier with zumba than I can with the bellydancing! 
sublimate
on 11/30/10 7:01 am - San Jose, CA

Sometimes I get in the dumps and don't want to exercise either.  I put together a list of exercise motivation ideas that I can read when I'm feeling down in the dumps about exercising and posted it here:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/VSG/4277582/Exercise-Motivation/

Hope that helps...

Start weight: 388, Current Weight: 185, Goal Weight: 180, Weight Lost: 203 lbs
Certified Nutritionist VSG FAQsublimate: To elevate or uplift.
3/2012 Plastics: LBL, 3 Hernias Fixed, BL/BA, Rhinoplasty & Septum Fix. 6/2013 Plastics: Arm and thigh lift

diane S.
on 11/30/10 9:56 am
well this is a big issue for me. dr. made a big discussion at support group the the other night about how important exercise is to maintaining - more so than in weight loss phase. I have had phases in my life where i did regular exercise but would just get sick of it. Used to like to lap swim but live in an area with few pool options now. used to pump iron too but now have stuff wrong with my hands that makes it hard to grip things. think i will check out a gym and see if they have some weight machines that don't have the grip issues. guess i just lack the discipline. zumba looks like fun but then you gotta drive somewhere and fit into a schedule etc. boy i am sure full of excuses and the only person it is hurting is me. dumb dumb dumb.

so the answer to you question is: not much and i need to get to doing something. Anybody do martial arts? was sort of thinking of trying that just for a lark. D

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

MacMadame
on 12/1/10 1:46 am - Northern, CA
I think it's important to do something you love and to turn it into a hobby. So I do triathlons because I love them. Other people do martial arts or join a cycling or running club or take up ballroom dancing.

Anything is better than nothing so I think you should find something that you love rather than something you feel like you "ought" to do.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

VickyO
on 12/1/10 2:11 am - Riverside, CA
Great stuff!  Thanks for the replies :)