VSG Maintenance Group

Groups » VSG Maintenance Grou... » Discussion » Back on track plan ...

Back on track plan from an 18+ year veteran

(deactivated member)
on 12/5/10 8:56 pm
VSG on 05/04/09 with
Hiya folks.   

I had been lurking on the Graduate board and found a something from Vitalady, who is like 18 years out from Roux-en-Y and still maintains – and like in War of the Roses when Danny Devito says “And when a person making $400.00/hr wants to tell you a story for free, you should listen to it."

Course, first plan of action is to always be vigilant!  If we need plans B and C - :}  then here are some good tried N true ones!   

I was thinking of folks who might appreciate a heads up and be on guard for the future and the information.

Of course, all things being what they are - maybe this will be helpful to you, maybe you will never need it (and more power to ya!) but - in case this can be helpful to anyone, I am bringing it over here.

Of course ALL credit for this goes to Michelle, AKA Vitalady. 

Post Date: 4/9/10 11:17 am

I have 2 game plans now. I'll post them both. The original that worked for me for ages. Then the one where it DIDn't work and I had to take another strategy.
Starting over:

Maybe I can help you start over. YOU have to do it. One thing is to start
recognizing the physical portion of the disease. I could've told you that
you don't care about bfast, don't start eating til mid day and have trouble
slamming on the brakes at night. That is how our disease works.

We start out ok. Then as life starts smacking us down, the serotonin level
goes down. We eat food (carb) to raise serotonin level ( and label it
emotional eating, because it makes us feel better. DUH, it is a chemical
feeling). OUR serotonin level doesn't just go up to a nice comfy level, it
shoots thru the roof, then a lil later, KA THUD, back in the basement.
Repeat cycle. Hence, the more carb we get, the more we want (need) to try to
level out the serotonin, which cannot be leveled for us because it's broken.
Of course, this is taking the blood sugar on a wild ride as well. You can
see the cycle.

SOOOOOOO, you do protein drink (30g each, no added milk, fruit, juice) , small non-carb meal (well, complex carb on
the side is ok, once you get out of the binge cycle) 2-3 hrs later, protein
drink, "sensible meal". Protein drink (esp mid-day, about 2-3pm in a normal
person day) and protein snack. Yet another protein drink
before dinner to lower volume or prevent grazing while prep. About 2 hrs
after dinner, when the S level starts to plummet, stick in a protein shake,
followed by a protein snack. Maybe like meat & cheese with grain cracker or
bread. You'd have to experiment & see if it triggers you. If the craving is really bad, you can do another protein.

All meals are over in 15 min. You take your food on a plate to the eating
place. You can eat anything but milk or sugar & white carbs (right now),
preferably normal fat, not fat free. You can have a big fluffy salad, if
you want. With breaded chicken, with normal dressing--I don't care. What I
don't want is white bread or saltines with it. See?

And of course, start sucking water 30 min after eating and get as much as
possible.

Does it sound do-able?

Vites go (roughly) like so:
iron + C with the first non-dairy, non-caffeine protein or meal (no eggs or whole grains)

1 multi
2 calc (if mine)
1 A-25
1 D-5
1 E

with next protein drink or snack

1 multi
2 calc
1 A-25
1 D-5
1 zinc
1 E

with next protein drink or food
another pair of calcium (or use UpCal D in all shakes EXCEPT the one taken near iron)

B12 any time

If you take HSN or B-complex, it can go with either multi-grouping.

And another 2-3 calcium before bed

And the usual set of "rules",
64+ oz of water, as in water
no drinking with meals
distinct "meals", not grazing
limit sugars to 6 g per MEAL
try to avoid "white" things, like bread, potatoes, rice, pasta

Good snacks:
cheese
beef sticks
jerkies
tuna
chicken (don't care about skin)
smoked salmon
other meats or fish
some protein bars

Issue yourself a portion in a Ziploc bag to take to work or on the go. Control your portion in advance, before you are hungry

It's all about rhythm. Creating a system that keeps you in a "I'm doing the
right thing almost all the time" frame of thinking. That alone helps keep
the serotonin level closer to smooth, esp for US, with the 100# of guilt we
carry at any weight. Ditch the guilt to keep the S level from dropping. If
you fall off the wagon, then by the next meal, you get back on. One slap to
correct yourself and stand back up, do the next one right. Keep the
serotonin level smooth, not whacking all up & down like a yo-yo. You can
ALWAYS insert another protein in the trouble spots until you get a grip on
them.

Starting over AGAIN:

Surgery 10/94
The Peeps Incident spring, 2000, 6# regain, lost in 2 weeks
The Fruit Pounds, summer 2002, 8# regain, lost in 2 MONTHS
The Fudge Pudge, summer 2005, 15# regain, lost two YEARS later

I had fallen into the vat of fudge in June 2005 and could not get out. I went from "just a bite" to being able to eat several donuts a day within a few weeks. And yes, I do dump on sugar, but not if I outsmart it (stupid!).

I ultimately gained 15#. Finally in late 06, I went off sugar completely for 3 months. NOT ONE SINGLE POUND came off. Then, all I did was taste pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving. I don't even LIKE pumpkin pie! But the sugar was on me again, like the proverbial white on rice. I didn't gain any more, but I also couldn't stop eating sugar! Very scary.

In April 07, I realized I HAD to get those 15# off by June 1. I went back to my original doc. He's the least fat- judgmental person I've ever met. He put me on his special program. I already do 6+ protein shakes, powder + water, so adding more is no big deal. Whereas my original get-back-on-track includes moderate carbs, that just didn't work this time. His plan is simple. The protein drinks as I was doing, the more the better. BUT food, "if it doesn't walk, swim or fly, don't eat it". Yes, no nuts, seeds, grains, veggies or fruit. I think it included cheese and eggs, but didn't ask.

I don't LIKE meat/fish/chicken. I do 5 small meals per day + protein drinks, so the best I could do was very low carb protein bars. I chose Rockin' Roll (identical twin to Payday or Nut roll?), smallish bar, 21g protein, but only TWO g net carbs. So, I had a whole bar twice/day and two halves. I tried to eat meat for the 5th meal. Some days I was in a meaty mood and ate a meal of that, skipping a bar. Yes, I used gravy, sauce, mayo.....something with the meats. It was only about the carbs, not the fats.

The funny thing was, after I went completely clean, in just 3 days, the cravings stopped, and I felt........ lighter, less sluggish.

The end result being that I did lose the wt by my goal date AND I felt better. It was actually about 6 months before I even toyed with potatoes or bread again. The last "sugar" I had was 4/1/07.

While fudge or butterceam frosting are for sure my Gateway drugs, I suspect there are more and so I just don't even go there. My staff had donuts, and I was drawn to the ones with sprinkles, so I took the box out to shipping. It's always about texture with me.

My analogy about sugar is thus: I had a dangerous destructive relationship with sugar. He OWNED me and called all the shots. I broke up with him. But he called me and whispered, "It'll be ok, we'll meet in a public place." So yeah, I'd pick up a cookie at the bank and I couldn't get back into bed with him fast enough. I'd break it off again, and then he'd call and say, "It'll be ok, we'll meet in a public place." And I'd pick up a mini-candy at the doctor's office. And I'd be back in bed with him within 24 hours. This sugar, he is one guy I cannot even touch, let alone kiss one time! Bad stuff.

Many others have broken off with him for months or even years, and then he calls, whispers the magic words and BLAM, back in bed with him we all go.

I tell me it's not the "forever again" sugar I can't have, it's just the first bite. It's easier that way.
Lee ~
on 12/5/10 10:29 pm - CA
Mz B~
Thank you for bringing over Vitalady's words of wisdom.  They are so appropriate for the holiday season and a great reminder to me.  I was happiest the nine years in the 1990's that I was vegan and didn't eat sugar or flour.  Michelle is right, once it's out of the system, it's so much easier to deal with from the other side.

Reminders are why I come and read here.  So big thanks and bigger hugs to you.

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

(deactivated member)
on 12/5/10 10:45 pm, edited 12/5/10 10:46 pm
VSG on 05/04/09 with

I definitely had much fewer mood swings and cravings when I was vegan, than when I was trying to eat by the "pyramid"  

That Michelle is one smart almond flour succanant cookie!  :} 

It is *so* easier to deal with on the other side.

You are welcome beebee!  And I second your hugs and raise them! 

I found this in my word expansion program.  :}  I had been looking for it for a while (since my other computer died) and had it printed out, and ran across it this morning in a search for something else.  Hooray for word expansion programs!

Hooray for Michelle! 

*and I have a huge hooray for you in my heart, myLeemyLove!

Mimi N. Y.
on 12/5/10 11:51 pm - New York, NY

Excellent post!!!

"While fudge or butterceam frosting are for sure my Gateway drugs.." - oh boy! that is speaking my language. Right now if I try to eat that I will surely dump (I speaketh from experience).

"But Mimi, we have a pyloric valve, yada yada yada." Yeah, I occasionally dump with sugar, like some other VSGers. I get severe nausea, tummyache and a sense that I'm coming down with a cold - but I don't get diarrhea or bowel issues. And it normally last about 30 minutes or so.

Just like with RNY'ers, I know my dumping won't last forever, heck, it doesn't even happen everytime, so I know it won't always be a deterrent to eating a sweet- just like it isn't NOW.

While alot of my problem was volume eating, I know that sweets are something I need to have a proper and respectful relationship with.

Thanks for posting Michelle's words of wisdom!
(deactivated member)
on 12/6/10 4:58 am
VSG on 05/04/09 with
I think proper and respectful is a big ol deal, my Mimi!! 

Getting "casual" with our triggers is, well.. the beginning of the toilet swirl!  Boo to the spiral!  BOOOO!!

Jean in the I E
on 12/6/10 4:32 am - Fontana, CA
Thanks for posting this Brandilynn...

Vitalady is such an inspirational and insightful woman and there is so much to this post that resonates with me. Sugar is also my drug of choice and I'm so much more focused and sane when I stay far away from it. I forsee Christmas and New Years being much easier to get through than Thanksgiving was. Again, thanks for posting this from Michelle :)

On another note, has there been any word on how her hubby is doing? He had such a tragic accident!!!

Jean  I'm 45, 5' 4-1/2" -- 315/272/230 -- 43 lbs lost pre-op
"Progress, not perfection..." ~Dr. Roger Gould
Breast reduction & lift - 11/11/11 (sooo wonderful!!!)

(deactivated member)
on 12/6/10 4:56 am
VSG on 05/04/09 with
Absolutely welcome!   Savory Starches are my choice drug, but I could stand and shoosht buttercream in my mouth all day and grin like an idiot all the while.  :} 

Last I heard he was doing better since they started to listen to her about getting more protein in him, but I am afraid he is still pretty poorly.  :{  Boo.
Jen C.
on 12/6/10 5:15 am
 I think for some people without emotional/sugar issues what plummets during the day is insulin, not serotonin. But substitute the word insulin in there, and that's good advice for me. Thanks for posting Brandilynn!

Height: 5'7"     Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!!  
                          http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

(deactivated member)
on 12/6/10 5:22 am
VSG on 05/04/09 with
I could definitely get behind the word being insulin, or blood sugars too. 

I think whatever is the plummetter, for those of us who are like this - its the wide swings of the cycle that make us feel like supercrap and its hard to control when its been swinging sooo wildly!! 

Boo to wild swings!  Moderate moderation for us! 

*laughs wildly to self*
(deactivated member)
on 12/6/10 6:25 am - TX
VSG on 10/19/09 with
Brandilyn,

I'm confused.  Is she saying to drink 5  protein drinks plus eat???  Just the 5 protein drinks would be 150 grams of protein, right?  Sorry I'm such a doofus.  LOL

Also, been meaning to tell you I've been a transcriptionist for 30 plus years.  :)

Laura