VSG Maintenance Group

Winter Depression

abejita
on 12/8/10 7:20 am - dallas, TX
Anyone have problems with increased depression in the winter? What do you do that helps you deal with it. I 'know' exercise helps me tremendously, but it is hard to get up and go when I am feeling so blah...

mary

I'm 5'4"      SW 220 / CW 130 / GW 115
Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 12/8/10 8:00 am
Hi Mary,

I have SAD and find that light therapy helps. I have this but think you should see a doctor first in case you can get help paying for it. I don't have insurance and got a cheaper one than I otherwise would have.

www.feelbrightlight.com/fbl.html

yes, exercise helps and it's very hard to do.  outside helps, even though the sun is so low in the sky and behind clouds most of the time. sigh!

simple carbs make it worse!

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

abejita
on 12/8/10 8:07 am - dallas, TX
I am sure that is what I have, although I need to just go and have a chat with my pcp. I do take antidepressants that, along with tons of exercise,  just about eliminate any signs of depression during the spring and summer. Around this time of year, not so much.

Tell me about the carbs, LOL!!!!  Know what I had to eat today??? ciabatta bread and butter, thats it, a couple times today...I know, I need to back away from the carbs!

mary

sassyscorpio
on 12/8/10 9:34 am
I have it too. It's miserable. I know when I don't exercise,  it's much worse. I've always meant to look into one of those light boxes, but I have never actually done it.

I try to get outside when it's a nice day, but those days are rare here in Oregon in the winter.

I hate winter!

band 12-29-06     revision  to sleeve  Alberto Aceves  4-29-09

I love my sleeve!!

Lost 107 lbs and maintaining

Posted Image

Maintaining Cindy
on 12/8/10 10:00 am
I moved to Caye Caulker Belize, it worked wonders for me! 

Sorry to joke, big hugs honey! 

I sincerely hope you get some great answers here, and find some way to deal with your sesonal depressioon...

Take care,

abejita
on 12/8/10 10:05 am - dallas, TX
Maybe I'll just come visit you for a couple months ;-)

For some reason, it didn't hit me as hard last winter as it has this winter...probably cause I was on a weightloss high last winter...this winter, not so much!

mary

Maintaining Cindy
on 12/8/10 1:50 pm
Come on down!!  It is beautiful here!!

Big hugs,

diane S.
on 12/8/10 12:50 pm
Funny you would post this. I was just thinking today what a crab I have been for a couple of days. Too much to do, others not doing their share, turf wars at the studio, snapped at the hubby  and bla bla bla. Of course, it makes me want to eat the kitchen. went to a ****tail party and while i didn't blow it , ate stuff i shouldn't have.  We live in a rainy winter place and the lack of sun definately gets to us. My husband uses a light box and I think I should maybe get one too. And on top of the winter stuff there is all the holiday stuff coming up. enough to drive anyone into the blues. So I guess its pretty common. a shrink told me that sunlight and exercise are proven natural anti-depressants and I am sure thats true. Oh well, off for  a quick trip tomorrow for a couple of days. A change of scenery is always good even if its from one foggy place to another.  D

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

(deactivated member)
on 12/8/10 5:15 pm
VSG on 05/04/09 with
Sorry for your funk Mary.  It is tough, especially when nice weather is helpful and you are in a cold sort of snap!!

And I do not *even* live somewhere where its winter 8 months of the year!  Oy.  Those folks are amazing.

Let us know if you get a lightbox and it makes all the difference.  I was thinking about one, but I am such a vampire, especially early in the morning, the computer monitor is bright enough! 
abejita
on 12/8/10 10:05 pm - dallas, TX
I live in Dallas...so it is not like I am up in the depths of a northern winter, LOL! Pulling myself up by the bootstraps today. I felt so crappy after eating nothing but bread and sleeping yesterday. Power walked with the pup this morning and I'll ride my bike inside later on (too windy and cold to get outside for a ride today)

mary