VSG Maintenance Group

Groups » VSG Maintenance Grou... » Discussion » Measuring Body Fat ...

Measuring Body Fat - Calipers vs. Hydrostatic Weighing

Jp2lose
on 1/30/11 12:08 am - Omaha, NE
I've had my body fat measured with calipers, but I felt like all the places they were pinching were where I have extra skin.  Has anyone with loose skin had their body fat measured with calipers and by hydrostatic weighing?  If so, how did they compare? 

diane S.
on 1/30/11 2:26 am
Hi Omaha person! I used to live there, having migrated a few years back to northern california. still miss things about the midwest - like the decent economy and housing prices. Anyway, to answer your question, i had caliper measerment many years ago when i was pretty fat and it was so bad i just blocked it out. Not long ago I had the dunk tank measurement and was 30% body fat even though i weighed only 130 lbs at 5'4.25. While that was a little higher number than i expected, my surgeon said it was totally normal and fine for my age and gender. Anyway, i think the calipers are not worth much. You should be able to find a health club or someplace that has the testing equipment for the test. I did it in southern cal for about $50. Maybe the Prairie Life Center (that I used to belong to) has it. Anyway, well worth doing. And if I might ask, did you use an Omaha surgeon? My brother back there is looking into vsg - Dr. Winterstein at Methodist.   Any thoughts? My husband used to  work in IT at methodist.   Diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Jp2lose
on 1/30/11 4:47 am - Omaha, NE
They do the test at Creighton University and it's only $30. Just wondering if it was worth the money, since I can get the caliper test done for free at my gym. I think I'll just give it a try. I think my body fat percent is around 30% as well. I have loose skin like almost everyone else, but won't even consider plastics until I know I've done everything I can on my own first.

My surgeon was Dr. Winterstein and I think he's great. Very caring.

(deactivated member)
on 1/31/11 9:57 pm - GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
I vote hells to the YES its worth the money!  Its worth twice that money.
MacMadame
on 1/30/11 10:22 am - Northern, CA
I've had both but there was a long gap and my body fat definitely changed in between so it's hard to compare them.

The most accurate body fat measurement method is a DEXA scan. Then the hydrostatic (dunk tank) and body pod (air displacement) methods have a similar accuracy.

Calipers and bio-impedance are all over the place. Bio-impedance gets throw off by many factors including how hydrated we are and where the electricity shoots through you. The ones that shoot it through the foot will over-count your lower body and the ones that you hold in your hands over-count your upper body.

As an example of how accurate it can be: I have a scale that's supposed to be pretty accurate and shoots the electricity through my feet *and* my hands and it varies within 4% points over the course of a week. I'm pretty sure my body fat doesn't change *that* much during that time. OTOH, it gives a similar (if slightly lower) number than the dunk tank gives and the calipers at the time.

For calipers, it totally depends on the skill of the person wielding them. Someone who is skilled can be almost as accurate as a dunk tank measurement. Someone who isn't skilled can be so far off, it's laughable.

Plus they definitely over-estimate body fat in people who've lost a lot of weight and have loose skin like us. I felt like my measurement was about 2% higher than it really was.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Jp2lose
on 1/31/11 3:04 am - Omaha, NE
Thanks MacMadame! I had a feeling the loose skin through those things off! I'll look into the DEXA scan. I've never heard of it. I guess as long as the measurement I choose is consistent it doesn't really matter. I just have a small frame and I've already exceeded my doctor's goal for me. I want to lose more and want to back up my reason's when I go for my 1 year follow up. I think body fat % is a much better measurement for me than actual weight.

(deactivated member)
on 1/31/11 9:56 pm - GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with

I tend to not be impressed with the calipers (had the same person do mine 3 times and got 3 different numbers) or the hand held things.

I am now a fan of the hydrostatic weighing and will have that done every year now.  I am durning myself that I did not get it done before surgery and when they shows up around when I reached goal, because it would have been neat (afterwards, of course :} ) to see the difference in my body composition.

I really think it also helps to give a person a *realistic* idea of their body weight that they NEED TO KEEP!  :}

diane S.
on 2/1/11 1:31 am
Hi Brandilyn
If you don't mind my asking, what fat % do you get when you get your test? I had one a few months ago and was 30% at weight of 130ish. I thought that seemed high but dr. said it was pretty normal for my age and gender. still hoping to get a few muscles but my exercise is now Aikibojitsu plus the sports on the xbox kinect. Love the horsey games. diane

(deactivated member)
on 2/1/11 2:37 am - GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with

That day I weighed 151.25 on their scale

Body fat percentage was 19.7%, weight of body fat 29.75. 

Lean body mass 80.3% Lean body mass weight 121.45.

So just a little over the 85th percentile for my age group, 23.5% being "optimum health" for their test group. 

diane S.
on 2/1/11 9:36 am
Holy Moly, you are one formidable well muscled chick. Good for you. Shows that the lifting works and is good. Be proud wonder woman!  diane