VSG Maintenance Group

a new breakfast

diane S.
on 2/1/11 3:00 am
So i am eating oatmeal for breakfast these days as part of attempt to lower cholesterol. (see prior post where i was a lifelong oatmeal hater but now like it).

Anyway, I used to always toss a few frozen blueberries on it for some flavor but today i mixed a heaping teaspoon of peanut butter in it. Tastes great - like pb cookies only not sweet. could probably add some splenda but who needs it. Maybe everyone in the world but me knows about this, but it sure tastes good to me. Diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Mini.me
on 2/1/11 3:17 am
That sounds good - I will have to try ... I also like to add raisins to mine.  Love the contrast in flavors and textures.

Revision from Sleeve to DS (with re-Sleeve) on 10/10/17. Slow and steady ...

fleurs
on 2/1/11 5:32 am - New Zealand
Yum, I am gonna try that for lunch!!

abejita
on 2/1/11 6:57 am - dallas, TX
Some of the girls on my bike forum love the PB in their oatmeal. I've been making 'super charged oatmeal' I love it. Here is the recipe: I use steel cut oats instead of regular oats.

The Recipe: makes 18 servings

• 3 2/3 cups of old fashioned oatmeal
  • 1/3 cup of ground flax seed (your body absorbs more nutrients when the flax seed is ground)
  • 1 cup wheatgerm
  • 1 cup quinoa

Mix the ingredients in an air tight container.

To cook the oatmeal, mix 1/3 cup of oatmeal mix to 2/3 cup of water in a large microwave safe bowl. (It puffs as it cooks.) Cook on medium power for 5-6 min. Stir and enjoy. You could also cook on your stovetop.

This is a great basic recipe. We like to eat our oatmeal plain with a little salt and butter, but you could add a little cinnamon and brown sugar, dried fruit or berries. However you like your oatmeal, we think you will love this super nutritious and delicious super breakfast!

I'm 5'4"      SW 220 / CW 130 / GW 115
diane S.
on 2/1/11 9:30 am
Hey great idea. i have some ground flax seed but wasn't sure what to do with it. sprinkled it on cottage cheese once. not so good. would be nice in the oatmeal and with the pb would rock. also have a bunch of that PB2 that i haven't known what to do with but in the oatmeal would be good. peanut butter seems to be my favorite treat lately. every night i eat a big blob on a spoon.
diane

bajahahamama
on 2/1/11 11:07 am - CA

Cool, sounds good.  I will try this, I got quinoa and havn't used it yet. 

I make my Oatmeal and add eggwhite for added protein,  I might try adding it to the mix when I make it.

Here is my method.

1/4 cup oldfashioned oats

1/4 cup egg white (I buy from the store in the carton)

1/2 cup water

Mix all well,  nuke 1 min, stir, nuke 1 more min and it is done.  With the added protein from the eggwhite it seems to stay with me alittle longer than when it is just the oatmeal.

moparmemaw
on 2/3/11 7:41 am - IA
I had oatmeal today and it sure tasted good for a change of pace.  I also have some PB2 so I'm thinking it will be added for a little spice of life.  My mouth is watering just to think of it.
Wanda
Some people might not support my WLS decision. 
Those people remind me of slinkys. Not good for much but it would would bring a smile to my face if someone pushed them down the stairs.

Ticker includes Pre-op weight loss 24 lb. 

diane S.
on 2/4/11 3:21 am
ok, tried this today with the pb2. eating it now. not quite as good as with real pb but definitly worth eating. gotta confess i added about a half teaspoon of honey and that was a good addition. so i will keep doing this to use the 6 jars of pb2 i have but don't know what to do with. i confess to using a tsp of honey every time i ate greek yogurt throughout weight loss phase and so long as i tracked it and limited it to that, it didn't seem to cause a problem. didn't make me want to suck honey out of the squirt bottle like a baby bottle!  my former pre op self might have done that. diane