VSG Maintenance Group

Groups » VSG Maintenance Grou... » Discussion » feeling guilty in n...

feeling guilty in northern cal

diane S.
on 2/2/11 3:20 pm
This is ot but just got off the phone with a good friend in the Denver area. It was -17 degrees without any windchill. News reports of snow and subzero temperatures have been horrendous. Having spent 50 winters in the midwest I experienced many nasty freezing days and remember shoveling the driveway for hours only to have the snow plow plow it shut, struggling to get to work, having a battery go and car die in rush hour trafftic after dark and below zero and living on a hill where occasionally I could not get my car home due to ice. So to Moparmeow (sp?) and our other members in the midwest and east, I feel your pain. Here on the north coast where it usually rains all winter we have had a month of sunny days in the 50's. Keep thinking its going to pour here any day which means loads of snow 30 miles inland. So i am feeling slightly guilty for enjoying this mild climate and wish i could send a little of it to the rest of the country. Being in a cold environment makes you burn more calories so i hope those of you who want it get that benefit. Stay warm. Diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Still Fawn
on 2/2/11 8:38 pm - SIERRA MADRE, CA
Enjoy it! When I lived in TX I longed for winter and snow and now I got it in spades, lol.. I am moving to Cali in a few months and am soaking up my last "real" winter for a few years personally, lol..

I am still loving life with my sleeve! Been maintaining at or below goal for over 4 years!
"People spend a lifetime searching for happiness; looking for peace. They chase idle dreams, addictions, religions, even other people, hoping to fill the emptiness that plagues them. The irony is the only place they ever needed to search was within."   - Ramona L. Anderson

Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 2/2/11 8:52 pm
the weather where I live is pretty much like Denver, just a little worse. little colder in the winter, little hotter in the summer, little less sun *boo*, little more wind...

but I grew up in northern Minnesota so I know it could be worse!  actually, things are milder there, too, thanks to climate change.

I saw enjoy yourself! you had the sense to move out there!

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

Lee ~
on 2/2/11 10:30 pm - CA
Having grown up in Cleveland, then moving to a farm in W. Va where I had to drive 30 miles through the mountains to get to work, I remember being stuck in the ditch too often, or laying on the ground putting chains on my tires so that I could try to get to work.  I have total appreciation for what people are going through.

I almost feel guilty for the San Francisco are weather but the operative word is "almost".  I moved out here in 1982 and have never looked back.

Wishing all of you in the storm area, lots of warmth and fun things to do as you wait out the snow to melt and the temps to rise.

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

Jean in the I E
on 2/2/11 10:49 pm - Fontana, CA
Yep, guilty here in So Cal - I think the forecast is 65 with lots of sun. I have friends & family in Utah, Ohio, Iowa, Indiana and Colorado. Their Facebook posts tell it all...

Jean  I'm 45, 5' 4-1/2" -- 315/272/230 -- 43 lbs lost pre-op
"Progress, not perfection..." ~Dr. Roger Gould
Breast reduction & lift - 11/11/11 (sooo wonderful!!!)

moparmemaw
on 2/3/11 7:30 am - IA
Don't feel guilty Diana - feel blessed to live in a warmer climate!  I wouldn't leave Iowa for anything, because my children and grands are here.  I grew up in Illinois, so I've lived in this climate all my life. As I get older, I dislike it more and more.  I'm cold all that time (with the exception of the proverbial hot flashes that don't last long enough to help)  I really should live in the south, because I love warm (hot) weather.  I can sit outdoors on a day it's 100 degrees and soak up the Vitamin D with great pleasure.   My scales aren't moving much right now, so I'm doubtful that I'm burning more calories. 

Trying to stay warm...I think I'll light the fireplace and snuggle under my electric throw...ready to watch American Idol. 

Get this, I JUST ordered a pair of boots on Monday!  I've been wearing my tennies whenever there has been snow on the ground.  But when you have a foot and more of snow, the tennies get snow in them.  When I was SMO, bending over to put on boots was too much work, so I just didn't have any.  No problem bending over now, so doing a little serious shopping.  Can't wait til they come!
Wanda
Some people might not support my WLS decision. 
Those people remind me of slinkys. Not good for much but it would would bring a smile to my face if someone pushed them down the stairs.

Ticker includes Pre-op weight loss 24 lb. 

NanaDebby65
on 2/3/11 9:56 am - North Richland Hills, TX
Dont feel guilty!! Send some warmth our way!! I'm in the Dallas/Ft Worth area and let me tell you it is CRAZY here!! We had a "little" snow/ice storm Monday night and havent been above 20 degrees since!! Our roads are still ice packed and the schools have been closed for 4 days (tomorrow included). I finally made it to work today (white knuckling it all the way) and really wished I had a valium by the time I got there!! I know we didnt get near the snow/ice and sub zero temps like the upper States have, thank goodness, but this is actually the worst I have seen in MANY years for our neck of the woods!! Enjoy your warm weather!!

Debby
HW: 228/GW: 140/CW: 134    
TabithasMom
on 2/4/11 4:57 am - San Jose, CA
I have zero guilt!!

I love living in CA.
  CindyLou (Hw261/SW232/CW168/GW150)

sam1am
on 2/5/11 5:31 am
You should feel guilty!  Not!  But I am very jealous up here in Ontario Canada.  We have lots and lots of snow, but today was warm about 28 degrees, lol.  We go south often to the Carribean to get away from all this, where do you go?  See that costs us a fortune, you really are lucky, ENJOY! 

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One