VSG Maintenance Group

Super Bowl Food

diane S.
on 2/6/11 2:47 am
Ok, what is everybody doing for super bowl and food? I don't much care for pro football and this is the only pro game i have even a mild interest in, but its an event. Plus we have the biggest tv of our friends so they want to come here and watch. So I gotta go buy some beer which i won't drink (might have a glass of red wine - my favorite). Going to serve chilli that i make from a chopped up post roast that i cooked yesterday with fat skimmed off. Don't have any crackers for it and am not gonna get any. Do have some low carb flat bread crisps. will put out cubes of assorted cheeses and maybe some raw veggies. Grapes too. Thats about it.

Some of you may be going to parties where there will be gobs of high calorie slider foods. Strategies? Being the hostess and thereby controlling the menu is certainly one way to keep the fare reasonable. And i make a mean chilli with secret ingredients of a bit of coco powder, balsalmic vinegar, cumin and allspice plus chilli powder.    enjoy the day.  diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

moparmemaw
on 2/6/11 3:21 am - IA
We're staying home where it's safe. LOL  I bought an already made dip with guacamole, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese and black olives.  I'm eating it straight - no chips.  That will be my dinner.  I don't think I can eat much of it anyway, but if I get hungry later, I have baby carrots on hand for such emergencies.  A glass of wine sounds good, but my DH doesn't drink wine, so I don't want to open a bottle.  I may have a wine cooler out in the garage fridge.  Not the same, but it might just hit the spot.
Wanda
Some people might not support my WLS decision. 
Those people remind me of slinkys. Not good for much but it would would bring a smile to my face if someone pushed them down the stairs.

Ticker includes Pre-op weight loss 24 lb. 

diane S.
on 2/6/11 3:33 am
my husband doesn't drink wine either but i like a glass of red. so i buy those lille four packs of airline sized bottles of wine. and its usually two servings. a good way to have a glass of wine without a whole bottle going half to waste. have a great day. diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Still Fawn
on 2/6/11 3:30 am - SIERRA MADRE, CA
We are staying home and watching the game alone. Not really up for the parties going on, you know? We are making the junk though.. I am making bbq sauce right now- and its going on the wings I am making in a bit. Then I am making homemade chips and homemade boston creme donuts. I know its not healthy foods, but I am in the mood to watch the game and nosh on yumminess, not healthiness, lol... your chili sounds delish though!!

I am still loving life with my sleeve! Been maintaining at or below goal for over 4 years!
"People spend a lifetime searching for happiness; looking for peace. They chase idle dreams, addictions, religions, even other people, hoping to fill the emptiness that plagues them. The irony is the only place they ever needed to search was within."   - Ramona L. Anderson

(deactivated member)
on 2/6/11 4:12 am - GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
I care not a whit for football not at all, but the neighbors are having a shindig, so I will go eat, say hey visit for a while and then come home and watch what I wanna watch!

That being said, I found a lite (sugar free, which is important for the burning aspect) margarita mixer.  I marinated a bunch of legs and thighs (I could not find any wing drummies) in the margarita mix with Chicago Steak Seasonsing in it all day yesterday, today I baked them for about 20 minutes and now am cooking a little more but mostly putting the golden crispidy skin on them. 

Pork marinated in margarita mix is really good too.  The sugar free is important when you do the crisping up, since sugar tends to burn so easily (further a purely cooking point of view, not as far as carbs n setch).

KNow what else is surprisingly good in chili?  Anise seeds! They pop and give a surprise different taste. 

Hominy is my favorite not meaty chili addition though!
USAF Wife
on 2/6/11 4:39 am
Huge football fans here, unfortunately, neither of the teams are "our" teams, but it's an excuse to party ! ! !

We're going to some friends, and they're having a "beer tasting", chili cook-off, "grazing table" (their words not mine), wine galore, desserts, lord only knows what I will eat today.

Honestly, I only know 2 of the ladies that are going to be there so I'm going to be using a lot of the "early out" tactics of eating small portions and truly grazing on my single little plate to not draw attention to my lack of gorging myself on this huge buffet of yummy food and drinks.

I'm going to run by the store on the way to the party, grab a couple of sushi platters or those little tortilla rollup snack packs, and call it a day. I know that sushi and the rollups are safe for me to eat, and I'm sure I'll try some of the chilis.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Jp2lose
on 2/6/11 4:39 am - Omaha, NE
I'm going to a party at my neighbors. I've come up with a new recipe that I think tastes like fruit dip, so I'm making that and taking some cut up fresh fruit. I normally eat this everyday in the afternoon for a snack!

Protein fruit dip:
2 cups fat free cottage cheese, blended until smooth
12 packets of Splenda
1 tsp of vanilla
1 cup of skim milk
1 scoop of unflavored protein powder ( or vanilla flavored)
Blend all of this together until smooth then add 1 small box of fat free sugar free instant cheesecake pudding.

I put all of this in my magic bullet and it makes 7, 1/2 cup servings.

Depending on your protein powder:
89 calories, 9gms carbs, 0gms of fat, 12gms protein, 5gms sugar.

Mini.me
on 2/6/11 5:48 am
 We have people coming over here ... I have wings, chips/dip, pretzels, chips/salsa, warm cheesey dip with crackers, beer, wine, brownies ... and more stuff is coming ...  YUM!

To be honest ... I plan on eating a little bit of anything I want and drinking me some wine!  It's only one day & if I gain a pound, I can lose it this week.  At least I know I'll get full quickly!

Enjoy everyone!

Revision from Sleeve to DS (with re-Sleeve) on 10/10/17. Slow and steady ...

jimbovsg
on 2/6/11 7:40 am
On February 6, 2011 at 1:48 PM Pacific Time, Mini.me wrote:
 We have people coming over here ... I have wings, chips/dip, pretzels, chips/salsa, warm cheesey dip with crackers, beer, wine, brownies ... and more stuff is coming ...  YUM!

To be honest ... I plan on eating a little bit of anything I want and drinking me some wine!  It's only one day & if I gain a pound, I can lose it this week.  At least I know I'll get full quickly!

Enjoy everyone!
Well to gain a pound of (fat no****er)  you would need to eat 3500 cals over your daily requirements  so over 5000 cals or so?  I don't think that will happen!  enjoy! 

JIMBO...  350lbs! lost!.....  TRIPLE CENTURY CLUB!!  HELL ...YEAH!  
MY  VSG......KICKS ASS!                                                                                                                                                                                      

I  am   6' 2"    

Mini.me
on 2/6/11 7:42 am
Yep ... That would be one heck of a graze.  :-D

Revision from Sleeve to DS (with re-Sleeve) on 10/10/17. Slow and steady ...