VSG Maintenance Group

Groups » VSG Maintenance Grou... » Discussion » whats the worst wei...

whats the worst weight related gift you ever received?

diane S.
on 2/6/11 3:48 pm
Ok, lets see what we get here. Whats the worst gift you ever received related to your weight? I remember my obese  brother being given a set a sweats and a membership to the Y at christmas. (he is now pursuing vsg yay) I think my worst was the christmas my mother gave me a book about being fat and a diet cookbook. I weighed about 220 then. She also gave my husband a pig that was a refridgerator magnet but it had a motion sensor so it made oinking noises when you approached. I have a good friend I went to school with and she said every year as an overweight child her christmas gift was some different and unwanted sporting equipment, the worst of which was golf clubs. The thread about the daily weighing got me to thinking about all the well meaning people who give obnoxious gifts to overweight friends and family. I am sure all of us have received this stuff. My same mother who gave me fat books also would give me clothes in size medium that i couldn't fit one toe in. So lets hear it. Who got the worst?   and did anyone ever get anything really helpful related to weight?  Diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

(deactivated member)
on 2/6/11 7:58 pm
The gift that began it all....

When I was 4 years old, my dad, in an effort to control what I was eating in pre-school would pick me up on certain days at lunchtime and take me to a park or somewhere. It was supposed to be a "gift" to me...time with my busy dad. The thing was, I knew something was strange because all he would allow me to eat during our lunch outings was a dry can of tuna.

Unfortunately, my dad grew up with a fat sister that was teased and chastised her whole life. He never wanted that for me but through his back-handed efforts laid the groundwork for what would become my struggle with body image and weight.

Yes. That was the worst weight related "gift" for me.

Have a good week, team.
Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 2/6/11 8:53 pm
a couple times my Mom bought me clothing for a Christmas present and it made me sad she has so little sense of me she bought me size medium when I was a 2X. so I told her that it was way too small and she was surprised.  the next year she got me PJs that were a size 5X, I'm not kidding. if you can't get closer than that, don't buy clothes.

she never accepted my size, she couldn't stand it.

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

summer24
on 2/6/11 10:30 pm
OK, I think I can win on this one!

Let me preface this by saying the my hubby is the type that likes his women with a bit of meat on their bones.  I weighed 140 when we met and married.  Granted, I was not obese, but he did not like the skinny type either.

So...
My DH gave me a spinning bike for Valentine"s at a time in my life that I was at the highest weight ever. 

First off, I NEVER exercised at this point in my life, and secondly, HE was the avid cyclist.  But, the fact that this was my Valentine's gift??? I felt like he was pointing to my weight(the thing I HATED most about me) at a time that he should be pointing to why he loved me.  He never meant it that way.  He was trying to motivate me into losing weight, but needless to say, it just sat in our room like a constant reminder of the "worst" Valentine gift ever.

After that, he switched to jewelry
diane S.
on 2/7/11 2:38 am
Oh yeah, i forgot about the exercise  bike my mom gave me one year. this was shortly after my dad had a stroke and i actually did not hate it that much and did use it as i was in one of the phases where i was trying to exercise and deal with weight. of course it failed. but it wasn't as insulting as the others due to the context. btw, my mother was overweight herself though never in the morbidly obese category. at age 85 she eats less like many older people and is of normal weight. diane

Boscogirl
on 2/6/11 11:15 pm - TX
My husband's sister gave my husband and I a scale for Christmas on our first married Christmas because apparently we had both put on a few pounds...maybe 10 or so.  I was very offended of course but we just kind of laughed it off but a few years later when she had "porked up", we gave her a cookie jar that was a pig that oinked when you opened it.  What goes around comes around right?? lol
                                  Goal in EIGHT months!

Highest/Surgery Weight 248 Goal Weight 165 Current Weight 165-175
                           Starting BMI 33.7 Current BMI 22.1
             I'm 42 years young, my height is 6' and I've had no plastics!
                                          I  my sleeve!!!
sublimate
on 2/6/11 11:58 pm - San Jose, CA
Wow, I'd totally lose this one because despite being obese since the age of six, I can't recall even one gift that someone has given me that was weight related. Unless you want to count the gifts of food that people have given me like boxes of cookies that I obviously didn't need and re-gifted the very next moment.

Start weight: 388, Current Weight: 185, Goal Weight: 180, Weight Lost: 203 lbs
Certified Nutritionist VSG FAQsublimate: To elevate or uplift.
3/2012 Plastics: LBL, 3 Hernias Fixed, BL/BA, Rhinoplasty & Septum Fix. 6/2013 Plastics: Arm and thigh lift

Still Fawn
on 2/7/11 12:18 am - SIERRA MADRE, CA
I wish someone would have thought I was smaller than I was- my MIL was always buying me clothes that were huge on me- even when I WAS huge, lmao.. even after I had lost all the weight for some time, they bought me 2XLs.. I mean really? I know people have a hard time guessing.. but I do not look like a 2XL anymore lady. My friend once gave me one of those trash bag workout suit things- she figured the sweating would help with losing.. ha ha- I am a furnace naturally! Never helped me lose a pound! LMAO..

One gift I loved.. we were too broke for a gym, or to buy a bunch of exercise equipment.. but when hubby was going to deploy he found me a Gazelle machine for $10 on Craigslist- I actually used that thing almost every night he was in Iraq!

I am still loving life with my sleeve! Been maintaining at or below goal for over 4 years!
"People spend a lifetime searching for happiness; looking for peace. They chase idle dreams, addictions, religions, even other people, hoping to fill the emptiness that plagues them. The irony is the only place they ever needed to search was within."   - Ramona L. Anderson

(deactivated member)
on 2/7/11 6:25 am
My mother-in-law once gave me a set of holiday recipe books and gently hinted that I aught to ditch my family favorites and make things out of these books for the holidays.  I told her that she should keep them and use them as we were planing to go to her house for a change that holiday season.  That changed her tune in a hurry.  I am usually the one that makes dinner for all of us, about 25 people, for the holidays.  I think her heart was really in the right place, but she really wanted me to lose the weight and she didn't know how to broach the delicate subject.  She is usually a very nice person, this was just an oops.
mini_me_ now
on 2/7/11 8:20 am
I never got any gifts for being over weight unless i specifically asked for them. so i have never had that happen to me.

but my if i was trying to lose weight my husband would always buy me bags of chocolate...
Linda     5".4

6lbs under goal weight