VSG Maintenance Group

Groups » VSG Maintenance Grou... » Discussion » When to call it qui...

When to call it quits?

momto3girlz
on 2/11/11 11:20 pm
I am 2 pounds from a weight I consider to be my end all be all goal.  My face is extremely thin, my chest is bony, my stomach isn't flat because I need a tummy tuck (ps said I likely have about 2-3 pounds of skin around my stomach and will need an extended tummy tuck with a 360 degree incision).  My legs are still pretty thick.  I am of eastern european decent and that is where we like to keep our weight.  I don't think there is much I can do about it and I honestly don't think much weight will come off that area.

I guess my question is this.  How far do you take it?  I always hear of a bounce back.  I would like to "cushion" for that.  Of course, at this stage of the game, the weight isn't falling off anymore, but even at .4 - 1 pound per week, that is significant in my opinion.  At what point did you all say, enough is enough and I am going to increase my calories?

Along those lines, how did you do it.  Per a discussion on this group earlier in the week, I don't really restrict so much what I can eat.  I eat protein first, and then whatever I want, within reason, mindfully.  For example, I just had lunch.  I had 2 slices of boars head deli turkey (thicker cut), 1/2 plum tomato, 1/4 small avocado and 1 tablespoon full fat blue cheese.  Tossed together with some yummy aged balsamic vinegar and I was able to eat about 2/3.  I don't worry about the full fat cheese and I am happy as a lark eating that delicious, nutritious avocado.  So really, what else can I do?

Sorry for the ramble.  I am just doing a lot of thinking out loud.  Any insight, thoughts.....let me know.

xoxo
208/129/138
Starting weight/current weight/ultimate (would be shocked to get to!) goal weight
Jennifer

mini_me_ now
on 2/11/11 11:34 pm
i found when i got to the point that i was losing maybe .2 then gain .5 then lose .4 and it was going on and on and on i called it a day and i was at 135  then i was maintaining at about 136-138, then christmas came along and i gained 6lbs which i had started to take off again then i got pneumonia and started holding water weight  the vicadon was giving me contstipiation from hell, the scale was going up even though i was barely eating, although i wasnt drinking enough either, so now i threw those away and am on my way back down again... i hope  :) sighhhhhhhhh  im still under the goal my nutritionist set for me but i want to go back down the 5lbs... to get back to at least 138

so for me yes gain comes pretty easily and that sucks... but it was it is....
Linda     5".4

6lbs under goal weight
                  Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

(deactivated member)
on 2/11/11 11:37 pm - GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with

Once you stabilize your weight, all your angles will smooth out some. 

I cannot answer the question about the "weight." I called goal at a size.  I have a ***** of a time finding 6 long britches locally.

To increase calories, I add good fats or manipulate calories by changing my meats. The same volume of turkey is much less dense, calorically than that of beef, ground beef or most pork cuts. 

I have always eaten full fat cheese, so upping that was not an option for me.  Adding virgin coconut oil or macadamia nut oil, or almond oil are ways that I up calories without upping volume, avocado also, but oils are always in season.  :}  And again, the type of meat changes the caloric density. 

Good luck

(deactivated member)
on 2/12/11 12:50 am
It sounds to me like you are already eating intuitively.  I would not worry so much about the right number, but just keep eating well and on program until your body stops losing.  My doctor set a goal weight for me of 110 lbs. I thought that was ridiculous, well, I ended up closer to 103 lbs and am easily maintaining that by just eating intuitively and keeping an eye on the scale.  The way you look will change in about a year after to stop losing, the fat redistributes and you look better.  Take a look at the newer long term study, it is a great argument, in my opinion, for losing to your lowest healthy level or as low as your body will comfortably let you.  I wouldn't change a thing.
momto3girlz
on 2/12/11 3:08 am
Thank you! All of your insight is wonderful, so helpful and appreciated!
Xoxo
208/129/138
Starting weight/current weight/ultimate (would be shocked to get to!) goal weight
Jennifer

diane S.
on 2/12/11 6:49 am
Another person just posted a similar question so here is the answer I gave:

I got less guidance on final goal  from my surgeon than i expected. We started with a goal of 130 to 140. i am 5'4" or so. At a 9 month consult I was at 137 (140 at office) and he said i looked good and was done. I asked if i could go to 135 and he said sure. So i did that. And I started increasing calories by 100 or so a day with a little higher carbs.

And I took a trip for a month and didn't weigh though I felt like i was eating plenty. toasted almonds every night. Came home and had lost 5 lbs. Thought oh well. But I still kept losing very slowly though I was slightly increasing calories. When I would take a trip i would lose a couple. So now I am at 122. Thought surgeon might have an issue but he said its fine, i was a bmi 21 and thats perfect, even though it was 12 lbs  below prior goal. So the goal he set before may have been what he thought i could do and not necessarily the ideal. My surgeon seems to like people to get rid of every excess ounce; possibly because he knows there can be a little regain. So I am just trying to maintain and still keep a food journal and still limit calories and carbs.

So settling on a final number is somewhat of an art and you need to decide where you feel best. If you want to lose a few more and its coming off easily, by all means do it. now is the time. it will never get any easier. so long as bmi is 21 to 24 you are fine i think. So this is just my experience but hope it sheds a little light.   Eating nuts and cheese is my personal favorite way also of increasing calories. And my evening snack is a blob of peanut butter on a spoon.  My dietician said if i was having trouble stopping weight loss to add another protein drink (yuck) or go to 1% milk instead of skim. hope this helps. congrats on reaching goal.    Diane

momto3girlz
on 2/12/11 9:22 am
So helpful! Funny, I eat a blob of natural pb every night! So delish!!
208/129/138
Jennifer

diane S.
on 2/12/11 9:45 am
dang it! now I gotta go get a blob!  diane