VSG Maintenance Group

Nearly There

Marie B.
on 2/12/11 4:17 am - Pitman, NJ
VSG on 09/20/10 with
I was sleeved on Sept. 20, 2010.  I am nearly at my goal.  I had set a range between 130-135 lbs.  I'm only 5'2", but at 55 years old I felt this would be fine.  My family doctor was shooting for 160!  Anyway, I may let the weight go down a bit more, since I am still losing at about 1 to 1.7 lbs. a week.  I'm not real sure how you settle on a final number.  No real questions or problems here, just checking in and saying hi to the maintainers!

Marie
Highest weight ever recorded: 224lbs.    Surgery weight: 194 lbs.
Goal range:  130-135 lbs.
  Lowest:119.7   Current weight 142lbs Height: 5' 2" almost

jimbovsg
on 2/12/11 6:13 am
Cool,  you're doing great.  Welcome!

JIMBO...  350lbs! lost!.....  TRIPLE CENTURY CLUB!!  HELL ...YEAH!  
MY  VSG......KICKS ASS!                                                                                                                                                                                      

I  am   6' 2"    

Marie B.
on 2/12/11 7:28 am - Pitman, NJ
VSG on 09/20/10 with
Wow, look at you!  You've done sooooo well!

diane S.
on 2/12/11 6:43 am
YOu know, I got less guidance on this from my surgeon than i expected. We started with a goal of 130 to 140. i am 5'4" or so. At a 9 month consult I was at 137 (140 at office) and he said i looked good and was done. I asked if i could go to 135 and he said sure. So i did that. And I started increasing calories by 100 or so a day with a little higher carbs.

And I took a trip for a month and didn't weigh though I felt like i was eating plenty. toasted almonds every night. Came home and had lost 5 lbs. Thought oh well. But I still kept losing very slowly though I was slightly increasing calories. When I would take a trip i would lose a couple. So now I am at 122. Thought surgeon might have an issue but he said its fine, i was a bmi 21 and thats perfect, even though it was 12 lbs  below prior goal. So the goal he set before may have been what he thought i could do and not necessarily the ideal. My surgeon seems to like people to get rid of every excess ounce; possibly because he knows there can be a little regain. So I am just trying to maintain and still keep a food journal and still limit calories and carbs.

So settling on a final number is somewhat of an art and you need to decide where you feel best. If you want to lose a few more and its coming off easily, by all means do it. now is the time. it will never get any easier. so long as bmi is 21 to 24 you are fine i think. So this is just my experience but hope it sheds a little light.   Congrats on your success. You will feel so exhilerated when you hit that goal number.   Diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Marie B.
on 2/12/11 7:26 am - Pitman, NJ
VSG on 09/20/10 with
Thanks guys.  I think I may just stick with the program see where I end up.  But 135 sounds really sweet to me.  HOWEVER, if I hit 124, I'll be in the 100 lb. club.  Either way, I'm very happy with my sleeve, very thankful I had a good surgeon.  When I look back and think that I was in a panic about regaining lost weight, and booking a flight and going to a totally unknown (to me) surgeon in Mexico, well I shudder.  But he was excellent, better then what I would have gotten at my local hospital.  I'm VERY thankful!  It's been great!

Marie

Marie B.
on 2/12/11 7:29 am - Pitman, NJ
VSG on 09/20/10 with
Thanks.  Great advice!