VSG Maintenance Group

NSV for me too

Melissa K.
on 4/4/11 11:38 am
Just wanted to share because I am extremely proud of my accomplishment yesterday.  As some of you know, I use my pedometer every single day.  It is so easy and it helps keep my level of activity on my mind to ensure I am meet the step range for a person to be considered active to highly active range (10,000 - 12,500 steps).  So if I am low for a certain time of day, I take the stairs a few extra times or I park extra far away....just little things like that really help my stay on track especially when my schedule doesn't allow me to get "formal exercise" in.

I typically range from 12,000-15,000 a day.  So yesterday I set a goal of 17,000 steps and since I got that in during the AM, I thought I'd just see how many steps I can get in.  Keep in mind, I have a 2 year old, so getting "me things" in are sometimes not that easy.  

Anyway, I ended the day yesterday with a total of 51,180 steps.  That's a personal record (not one that I want to break in the near future). 

In case anyone is wondering, here are the guidelines you can use to tell your activity level

1) Under 5000 steps/day may be used as a "sedentary lifestyle index"
2) 5,000-7,499 steps/day is typical of daily activity excluding sports/exercise and might be considered "low active."
3) 7,500-9,999 likely includes some exercise or walking (and/or a job that requires more walking) and might be considered "somewhat active."
4) 10,000 steps/day indicates the point that should be used to classify individuals as "active". 
5) Individuals who take more than 12,500 steps/day are likely to be classified as "highly active".

Still Fawn
on 4/4/11 12:35 pm - SIERRA MADRE, CA
Wow- where did you take all those steps? That is awesome! I am curious what mine would be, but not enough to buy a pedometer.. ha ha. Maybe I should steal my daughter's! LOL

I am still loving life with my sleeve! Been maintaining at or below goal for over 4 years!
"People spend a lifetime searching for happiness; looking for peace. They chase idle dreams, addictions, religions, even other people, hoping to fill the emptiness that plagues them. The irony is the only place they ever needed to search was within."   - Ramona L. Anderson

diane S.
on 4/4/11 1:09 pm
unbelieveable! you must not have sat down for one second! nice going. diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Maintaining Cindy
on 4/4/11 6:36 pm
Ok, so now I want one of those!!  Does a regular pedometer always show steps?  I have only had one in the past and it showed miles, but is it possible it also showed steps or is that something new?

What kind do you have?  I would want one that is the least obtrusive one I could find, as I don't wear much more than a sundress down here in paradise and I don't want it to show much.

Congrats!!  That is very impressive.

Cindy

Melissa K.
on 4/5/11 12:39 pm
 yes they should.  You can get several that are smaller than mine, this one was just cheap and I can download to the computer so I have a record of what I did over time.  I saw a few really small ones at best buy the other day when I was there and I know there are several on amazon.com.

My pedometer is the best thing that happened to me.  So even if my lifestyle doesn't let me get much formal exercise in, I can still be active.  So it keeps me honest.

Let me know if you decide to get one and how it works for you.