VSG Maintenance Group

Groups » VSG Maintenance Grou... » Discussion » 10/16/19, Wednesday...

10/16/19, Wednesday

ocean4dlm
on 10/16/19 5:17 am - Liverpool, NY
VSG on 05/27/15

1. Within Range: two over
  2. General Wellbeing: 7 on SS
  3. 10,000+ Steps: 8944
  4. Fitness: mowing
  5. Self-Care: mani and pedi today !
  6. Fun: mowing

Still two pounds over my range. Yesterday, DH woke up at 3 AM, bleeding heavily out of penis when he urinated. We dressed and hopped in the car for the two hour drive to the VAMC ER where he had his urethra reconstruction almost a year ago. An ultra sound and two blood draws later, it was determined to be a urinary tract infection, NOT C. They started him on antibiotics, and are growing a culture to verify he is on the correct one. Eating was totally off (hot dog...1st one in 4+ years and pumpkin ice cream on the way home). When we got home, I mowed the front, hopefully for the last time and we took the dogs for a walk at the lake. I have a mani and pedi scheduled for today.

Trying to catch up on posts. Shirl.. so sorry for your loss. Peps... you felt the earth move under your feet ! Liz, you've got to be getting excited about FL ! Ceci.. pack up a storm. Do you have high arches by and chance ? BB.. love the way you are staying in the moment as SAHM ! DD, continue to make the most of outdoor time ! David, hope you and Adalyn continue to feel better ! Love you all !

Age: 64; 5' 5"; High weight: 345; Start weight: 271 (01/05/15); Surgery weight: 218 (05/27/15); Pre-Op (-53); M 1 (-18); M 2 (-1.5); M 3 (-13.5 ); M 4 (-13); M 5 (- 8); M 6 (-12) M 7 (-5, Xmas); M 8 (- 9) Under surgeon's goal and REACHED HEALTHY BMI 12/07/15!! (Six months and one week.) AT GOAL month 8. Maintaining at goal range (139- 144) ~ four (4) years !!

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 10/16/19 5:46 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

What a scare for DH and you! Thank goodness it wasn't the big C and hopefully the infection will clear up quickly.

BEAUTIFUL picture btw! Here on the Cape, Fall comes much later than on the mainland of Massachusetts. It also doesn't tend to have as much bright color as we have a lot of pines and oaks which just turn brown. I'm looking forward to going to central Mass this Friday to visit with old friends, DD and see some good Fall color.

I haven't really been thinking a lot about Florida as it is still a month away. I'm mostly concentrating on figuring out how often and when to visit DH based on his needs and my feelings. And getting some structure in my life again to work around. Yoga three times a week is my initial goal. My visit with DH yesterday was really good. I cut his hair and nails and shaved him. I got to see his very positive interaction with personal care people who had to clean him up after an accident, then with the physical therapist. He was in a great mood and I left him at the chair exercise where he was popping out of the chair to dance with the music.

Today will be one of my yoga days, then I will visit with DH for a bit in the afternoon prior to a support meeting in his facility. Following that I am driving with SIL an hour away to a wake for a woman we both worked with in our careers. She worked until three years ago, retiring at 84. She quickly succumbed to dementia, has been in a care facility for the last year and passed away this week. Kind of blows your mind how quickly things can slide downhill with dementia.

Have a wonderous Wednesday!

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

CC C.
on 10/16/19 10:29 am

Hi guys!

I am finally coffee'd up after an early fasting trek to the hematologist for 20 vials of blood taken to test for genetic clotting issues again. Last time I was already on thinners which can mess with results. So until that comes back I'm off Xarelto and can now sneak a few Advil for my foot. I know it's not good for the sleeve, but a few won't be bad right? Ge said to pop a Xarelto 3 hours before any flight over 2 hours so that will cover me on all my upcoming travels and quell that anxiety. Unfortunately it does nothing for all my other anxieties . And yes, DianeS, I too have entered the old lady pastime of visiting doctors. That's one down, 5 to go.

DianeO, I have recently begun wondering about my arches. Are they high? Flattening? You could be on to something. I bought some shoe inserts with great reviews on Amazon called the Foot Chair that comes with varying levels of arch support you can add or subtract. I've been wearing them the last 2 days and they feel really good. So I think I just wasn't supported well, whatever my issues are. I once had orthotics made, but they hurt and I never wore them.

Last night my Keurig died. Horror of horrors. It was 8:30pm and I hopped in the car and drove to Bed Bath and Beyond before they closed so as not to be without. Because I think the Keurig machines are shoddy, I went with a Cuisinart - another brand I said I'd never buy again after issues with other appliances, but their reviews were better than all the Keurigs. So here's the kicker... Online it was $102.99. In the store it was $145. I showed them and they matched their own price. But it's a good reminder to check a store's website to know if the price is correct! Saved me $42.

Anyway, today I shall enjoy my new coffee machine, get my last two hepatitis A and B boosters (not because I need them to travel to NZ or AUS, but to finish the series I started for my South America trip), and get fully unpacked.

Happy Wednesday all! PS, I'm down another .6 lbs so 2.8 since getting home. Heading the right way.

ocean4dlm
on 10/17/19 2:34 am - Liverpool, NY
VSG on 05/27/15

DH has such high arches it caused immense pain at the base of his toes. Nerve inflammation ensued. After trying inserts and orthotics, his podiatrist had him order Vionic sneakers and Merrill boots with high arch support. Fixed the problem.

Age: 64; 5' 5"; High weight: 345; Start weight: 271 (01/05/15); Surgery weight: 218 (05/27/15); Pre-Op (-53); M 1 (-18); M 2 (-1.5); M 3 (-13.5 ); M 4 (-13); M 5 (- 8); M 6 (-12) M 7 (-5, Xmas); M 8 (- 9) Under surgeon's goal and REACHED HEALTHY BMI 12/07/15!! (Six months and one week.) AT GOAL month 8. Maintaining at goal range (139- 144) ~ four (4) years !!

CC C.
on 10/16/19 10:29 am

Gorgeous picture, Diane!!!!

ShirlAus
on 10/16/19 12:50 pm
VSG on 06/26/17

Good Morning All, Sorry for my absence. I have been so busy looking after everyone else that there is no energy left. Not sleeping well and super worried about DH and my other SIL as they are taking it very hard. My DH's way (A lot stemming from his military career) is to be strong for everyone and dont show grief. Thats manifesting to create an internal pressure cooker and you know how it goes - we always lash out at the ones we are closest too. I have been the brunt of extreme mood swings. I dropped him at the train station yesterday morning and he wasnt talking too me so I just left it. Later he called to discuss a poem I had sent him as a suggestion for the local newspaper submission. I could tell he had calmed down and was able to talk reasonably to him, letting him know Im here for him but will not put up with this poor treatment and his sister wouldnt want him reacting this way. Also discussed that its healthy to cry, healthy to question and how unreasonable it is to place such an impossible expection on oneself to internalise it all. Fingers crossed I got through as he seems a little better. Will take each day as it comes. I drove to the farm last night. Called into my BIL's to see them all. They are in the midst of planning her farewell but still waiting on the all the formalities to be finalised as to the cause of her passing. We are hoping to have that Saturday. I will start working on her photo tribute after work today - will help a little to be able to put together to honour her and the wonderful care and love she gave us so unconditionally. Still doesnt seem real and I find myself reflecting a lot. It comes with tears and smiles. Life is so fragile ......

My youngest DS is bringing DH up Fri Night. My eldest DH stayed with him last night and will go back to his fathers tonight after dinner. Youngest DS and his GF are coming to have dinner with them all as I told him DH is struggling. He spoke to him for a while last night on the phone. I have raised good men - they make he very proud with their caring loving hearts.

Apt with Orth Surgeon yesterday afternoon to review MRI results brought confirmation that my knee is too bad to look at a partial replacement and 99% likely will be a full replacement. We discussed timings, recovery etc in light of everything going on. He said I will make it to 50 (only a couple of months) but will I make 51 or 52 - he doubts and will be guided by my tolerance of the pain etc. I am to come to him when I cant stand it anymore. In the interim he has upped my pain meds to 6 x Panadol Oesto a day and wants me to use Ibrofen for up to a week when I have flare ups (constantly pretty much but not happy using it too much) I see him again in Dec - he will take a further XRAY and we will talk further. Putting that in the background for now.

Diane O - Much love to your DH. Glad it was not the dreaded C and hope the antibotics work quickly to bring him some relief. Gorgeous Picture x It brought a smile to my face

Cec - Sounds like you are in full swing organising for your trip. I hope the anxiety settles and you can enjoy it. NZ is a beautiful place and hiking you will see it in a light many dont get too. Well done on the weight drop and good luck with your feet - bad timing for sure x

Liz - So proud of you and how you have handled DH's transition into care. Such care, compassion and above all you have remained classy. Wrapping you in a big long distance hug x

Peps - Wowsers - that would have been unsettling. No wonder it took a while for you to go to sleep. Counting down the days as you wait for Ella news. Crossing fingers for you

DD- Hope the cold thing is starting to pack its bags and leave! Heal fast my friend

Diane S - Hello and glad to see you have power back- crazy!

BB - Lovely to see you enjoying your precious girls x

Leap - Hope Adalyn is feeling better and you are managing with your knee too - It sounds like I will join you at some stage next year......

Ann - Loving seeing your pictures on FB - you are glowing. Always bring a smile to my face - thank you

Have I missed anyone? If so I apologise. I best go and get some work done. Been starting at 5.30-6.00am to try and play catch up. Im incrediably thankful to have two supportive bosses who are more like family. It makes difficult times easier.

Love to you all x Hug your loved ones tight and above all be thankful for the incrediable way they touch and enrich our lives xx

S

CC C.
on 10/16/19 2:37 pm

Shirl, what a difficult time you're having. I think the way you discussed things with your DH sounds very healthy. Do look after yourself too as much as you can. Including that knee!

DiamondD
on 10/16/19 1:41 pm
VSG on 06/13/12

Diane, loved opening up this thread and seeing a picture that is the definition of serenity.

Wednesday is in the bag as far as work goes. My big plans this afternoon are to take a nap. The neighbors are having their shingles replaced, sort right outside my bedroom window, so I may have to take this nap elsewhere. First World Problems.

I am doing **** poor job of eating well. I need to take a breath, focus, and figure out what is going on. I feel like I'm being so reactive to whatever free food is set in front of me.

Peps
on 10/16/19 8:10 pm

Free Food.... a favorite phrase! As a fellow teacher, I understand the depth of the meaning of those words linked together. I'm not sure non-teachers truly understand.

CC C.
on 10/16/19 4:25 pm, edited 10/16/19 9:26 am

To DianeO (and others with Instant Pots who like hardboiled eggs and haven't used it make them yet)...

I made hardboiled eggs in my IP for the first time. They came out perfect. One cup of cold water in the pot, eggs placed on the rack it came with, 5 minutes at high pressure, 5 minutes natural release, then release all the steam and put eggs in an ice bath for 5 minutes. They were perfectly done, no green ring, and peeled easily.