VSG Maintenance Group

Groups » VSG Maintenance Grou... » Discussion » Saturday, December ...

Saturday, December 21, 2019

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 12/21/19 6:58 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Can I just cancel Christmas?

I spoke with the neurologist here yesterday afternoon. He suggested that it might make more sense to bring in hospice which would mean heavy sedation (morphine) to keep DH calm but would remove his mobility. I think it makes sense if DH qualifies as the Geri-psych stay would be very traumatic, he'd still have to be heavily drugged and he has no quality of life regardless. The only real benefit is that he'd be a little more alert and might be able to walk a little longer. But what's the point? Hospice is supposed to come speak with me this morning. We would have to have them on board and DH already medicated more than he is now to go back to his facility. He is incredibly agitated this morning even with a lot of medication. Of course he probably also has hospital delirium on top of his original agitation.

The plan today is to talk to hospice and determine if this makes sense, have BIL furnace-sit (it has to be restarted periodically), and then swap locations with BIL so I can go home a bit earlier today than I have been. Justice will be happy.

I am doing well with food in the hospital because I have snack packs and there really isn't easy access to anything else. But there has been wine at home before bed the last couple of days.

Thanks for listening to my soap opera. Hopefully there is some resolution soon.

Have a sunny Saturday!

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

DiamondD
on 12/21/19 8:51 am
VSG on 06/13/12

There really are no words to offer in the face of these choices. How awful. Please God, bring peace to this good man and his family.

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 12/21/19 9:30 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

And that is really what he needs is some peace.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

CC C.
on 12/21/19 9:13 am

You can totally cancel Christmas. BIL better not come up with any excuses to back out this time or I think I can easily rally the rest of the tribe to come with me to break his kneecaps.

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 12/21/19 9:34 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

BIL is on his way here to the hospital after being at my house.

I spoke with the Hospice nurse. She thinks it is the best course too but needs to look at some things to make sure he qualifies. Interestingly she said if they take him this weekend hospice could admit him to a regular hospital room to get him started on their palliative meds and get him calm, then we would transfer him back to his facility.

Peps
on 12/21/19 9:35 am

Oh, Liz.... I hope your wonderful kids and family rally and support you through this tremendously difficult time. I wish I could be there as a physical support for you, too. Please know I am with you in spirit.

This is definitely a BOOOOOOOOOOO moment. My heart aches for you.

LeapSecond
on 12/21/19 10:16 am - AR

Lid, so sorry. Definitely yes to hospice if he qualifies. It is a great source of information and care. Our dying process has been kept top secret as if it really doesn't happen. I would put off Christmas too. Maybe postpone it 6 months. Hugs.

HW=362(6/14) SW=314(9/14) GW=195 CW=270 (1-26-2020)

ocean4dlm
on 12/21/19 11:03 am - Liverpool, NY
VSG on 05/27/15

Liz...where is teleporting when you need it !? I would seriously drive out to the Cape, to provide some support, if DC was more mobile and able to drive. Lots of love and positive energy. Hospice seems like the way to go !

Age: 64; 5' 5"; High weight: 345; Start weight: 271 (01/05/15); Surgery weight: 218 (05/27/15); Pre-Op (-53); M 1 (-18); M 2 (-1.5); M 3 (-13.5 ); M 4 (-13); M 5 (- 8); M 6 (-12) M 7 (-5, Xmas); M 8 (- 9) Under surgeon's goal and REACHED HEALTHY BMI 12/07/15!! (Six months and one week.) AT GOAL month 8. Maintaining at goal range (139- 144) ~ four (4) years !!

CC C.
on 12/21/19 12:30 pm, edited 12/21/19 4:30 am

Liz, I think wine is a fine response... so glad BIL is helping. I hope you get some more rest today.

Not much going on here, but I am still staying on track with food. I forgot how much I liked the Real Good Pizzas made with the chicken crusts. 25g of protein 4g carbs, and 270 calories. My friends got me a Nespresso for Christmas. So much fun and so delicious, though it means consuming more milk than I normally do since I usually use sugar free powdered creamer. But this came with a frother, so how can I not froth? Those two big days of weight loss mean my water water is gone and now the hard work begins. But I'm 28 pounds from my high end of range and my car so I'm feeling ready.

I enjoyed seeing Ann's friend's pictures on FB. What a trip she?s had! Selfishly, I'm looking forward to her return. Shirley's big party was yesterday. Hope it went well and she was feeling good enough to enjoy it. DianeO, how are you doing with WW? Love to all.

diane S.
on 12/21/19 2:35 pm

Greetings All

Yep, fine by me if Christmas is cancelled. Doesn't feel much like Christmas here as its rainy and cold and windy enough that the neighbors took down their inflatable Christmas decorations. Either that or the Grinch came by.

Liz I sure hope the hospice thing comes through and quickly. Having had a mom that was on hospice, then off, then back on, I have tremendous respect and appreciation for the concept. Wishing you a resolution on these arrangements soon. Glad BIL is stepping up. May Santa bring you a nice furnace.

I took bananas to the homeless project this morning. Heartbreaking to think of some of these people sleeping outside in the rain. Our town is small but really needs a shelter since some of these folks don't have bus fare to get to the next town that has one. Counting my blessings.

Two days ago we got "elved". A bag showed up on our porch with candies, wine and dog treats. A printed note said we had been "elved "and to share the treats, enjoy and go to some kind of facebook page. I have shared the candies, drank the wine myself but not looked at the facebook page. Too organized. Methinks the elf got the wrong house.

Well time to take the old dog to the vet for med renewal and senior check up. And of course its pouring rain. Preparing for major wet dog smell in waiting room.

Would it be too Scroogey to do an all gift card Christmas?

Take care all and rest up those of you who need it (not me, I am well rested). Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/