VSG Maintenance Group

Groups » VSG Maintenance Grou... » Discussion » Tuesday, March 21, ...

Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 3/21/23 5:24 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

The sun is out again and the forecast is for warmer than usual weather by the end of this wee****il we leave in 9 days (mid-80's).

Eating not great, not terrible. I could have just had peel and eat shrimp for lunch yesterday and been satisfied but instead had to eat half of a fantastic hogfish sandwich. At least it offset the terrible fish sandwich from the prior day (which I actually didn't eat but Mike did).

Today we are going to Little Palm Island, an expensive resort on a key reached only by boat for lunch. They allow limited reservations for those not staying at the resort. We made the reservation over 2 weeks ago. The cost to actually stay on the island is mind-boggling and to go off-island one has to take a shuttle, then drive. I guess those rich folks who need total privacy appreciate it.

First it is time for a Justice walk. Have a thoughtful Tuesday!

CC C.
on 3/21/23 7:58 am

Raining again! Let's hope the ground is soaking it up. I was supposed to meet with the landscaper this morning to sign off on their work (which was great) and give final payment, but he canceled because of the rain. I do adore a canceled plan!

DianeO, how sad for your sister's loss. Suicide is so awful for everyone, from the one who couldn't go on to the people and the pain they leave behind.

DD, how apt your moniker is with your club duties! I think the D&D crowd is a special bunch. I don't understand it, but they love it and for teenagers struggling to otherwise bond, it's a wonderful activity. I remember the fear around it when I was a kid and the evangelical amongst us saying it was satanic. Hogwash. That was a major theme in the last season of Stranger Things...

Liz, glad you had a redeeming fish sandwich! Bad fish in the Keys?! I hate falling into tourist traps. I have done so here too (the incident with the chips and frozen salsa comes to mind).

DianeS, I do so love your updates and look forward to your take on the day. Amazing about the hostage released being from your town. How much must that mess a person up. Heartbreaking thought.

Food and weight continue to be problematic, but I had three instances of not buying sugary crap I wanted to buy yesterday (candy at the checkout counter at the craft store, cookies, a shake at Chick-fil-a - all on an impromptu trip to the bigger town for supplies). So maybe I'm heading out of my post-parental stay feeding frenzy.

Anyway, hunkered down inside in the rain today working on crocheted flowers for a garland for the yarn-bombing at the library in June. They are so cute!

Enjoy your days, everyone!

diane S.
on 3/21/23 4:01 pm

Greetings all

It's overcast here but I spent the morning playing scrabble. Only won one game but my big play was "variants". Most of our conversation was about our aches and pains and getting old. Then I went back to the Asian sub place and after that went to the studio with payroll. Only one big chore left which is tonight's gallery membership meeting. For the first time since covid its in person since we have to look at art of a new applicant.Abstract painting.

Liz that looks like a great lunch place. Hope boat ride was smooth. All I can think about on boats is seasickness.

CC more rain in the desert?!! Yeah having house guests - even family - can be stressful and stress leads to cookies. Proven axion. Hope the rain lets up so you can get out and about exploring.

Thinking of Ocean Diane. Difficult days ahead for family.

So we had a discussion today about why have drag queen story hour? Whats the point? I told the story of how my mom took my brothers and me to a drag show in New Orleans when I was about 15. I think her way of teaching us about such stuff. So thats my take on why have drag queen story hour. Anyway discussion to be continued.

DH is watching perhaps the worst movie ever made. Hmmm. Cheers all. Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CC C.
on 3/21/23 5:43 pm

I have absolutely zero problem with adults enjoying drag shows. I'm sure it's really entertaining and glam. But having seen at least a dozen appalling actual videos of drags shows with little children in attendance with twerking and very provocative dancing, thongs, bare fake breasts and *****s being waved about, penis and sex jokes, stage names with "jizz" and plays on the word ******** worked in, and toddlers shoving dollar bills into drag queens underwear, I cannot understand why parents would subject their children to that? Those examples I've seen are NOT Mrs. Doubtfire or Tootsie reading a story book. That I could endorse.

DiamondD
on 3/21/23 6:55 pm
VSG on 06/13/12

I wonder why parents do all kinds of things, bringing little kids to R rated movies, having them hang out in bars (we had someone in the family who were so proud their kid didn't slow them down, they just brought them everywhere. Nothing to be proud of as their kid was napping on a pile of coats under the table. Poor darling). What kind of idiot brings their kid to an adult themed Drag Show? Good grief. On the other hand, when my DD was in a kids community theater (Thank you dear lord, I no longer need to attend children's community theater shows) there was always some drag element, one of the adult male actors playing the Evil Queen in Snow White or the Wicked Witch etc. Where I thought it was a tiresome troupe, the kids just loved it! And for reasons unknown to me, every Homecoming Pepfest at my school involves a skit of senior boys wearing cheerleader costumes. Again tiresome in my opinion, but the kids go wild. I think the issue of Drag, or (mostly) men dressing as women has entertained a lot of people in different ways, for a long time. What that reflects about our society, well there's a whole lot to unpack there.

CC C.
on 3/21/23 7:20 pm

I agree with the notion of questionable parenting decisions. I don't object at all to men dressing as women to entertain like your wicked witch examples or the senior boys dressing like cheerleaders. It's the sexual component of some of these shows that is being pushed on little children that worries me. Any sexualization in front of kids bothers me so much. They get to be innocent for only a blink of an eye now, can't we preserve that for as long as possible? Why is a toddler being cheered on to shove a dollar down the front of a man's underwear?

DiamondD
on 3/22/23 6:45 pm
VSG on 06/13/12

I was very censorous with my own kids for that reason. I didn't want them seeing violence, horror, or sexualized content when they were young, because what's been seen cannot be unseen. I figured they had their whole life to engage with that content, they didn't need to do it in grade school! My daughter still brings up how I wouldn't let he****ch the movie Troy when she was 13 and madly in love with Orlando Bloom. Uh, because it was rated R?

CC C.
on 3/22/23 7:17 pm

You're a good mama!!

DiamondD
on 3/21/23 7:14 pm
VSG on 06/13/12

By tomorrow, we move into the top ten years for length of snow cover. I don't care to break into the top 5, but not much we can do about it. At least us grumbly people know its no exaggeration, this is a long, snowy winter, even by our standards!

Pretty normal day. Our boys basketball won their game today, and moves to the semi finals Thursday. Lots of excitement at school.

I left when it was actual quitting time, and got home so DH and I could workout before the after work crowd got too big. I'm pushing myself more and more, I used some of the resistance machines until my legs got wobbly. Felt kind of good.

I didn't know about Dungeons & Dragons when I was younger. DH said he played a little in college. Both my kids did. CCs point about some people thinking it was Sanatic would fit with my Evangelical upbringing. Things that were forbidden: dancing, alcohol and tobacco. Things that were Satanic: Yoga, meditation and the Who's Rock Opera Tommy. I don't say this to diss this cultural group, because I loved my church and my pastor and I grew up with many lovely people who treated me with kindness and caring. And when I return to my community, I coat shift, and I don't describe the incredible ****tail I had with a sprig of lavender... No need to cause them pain thinking I'm on my way to hell. But it sure is different being a Catholic! (I converted) .

Speaking of D&D, tomorrow is the afternoon I stay with my group until 5. Normally clubs meet for an hour, but once a month I let them pick a Wednesday for a longer meeting. D&D, as I've learned, takes time.