1 Week Post-Op

Feb 22, 2012

I got sleeved February 14th, Valentine's Day, it probably will be my best Valentine's Day gift Ever!!

I was pretty nervous that morning, I had to be there for 9 am, and then I was brought up to the 3rd floor for preparation after admission.   Surgery time was supposed to be 11 am, but we waited until almost 12 pm before they got the call that they were ready for me. I think that is where I got a bit nervous as I was wondering why was the Dr. late?  Did he have complications with his first surgery?? Million things were going through my mind and wondering if I should just go home!! LOL

Anyways, then they brought me downstairs, and then I was put in the little waiting room before wheeling me in the operation room. Some nurses, anesthesiologist and other people I didn’t know were asking me questions.  Then Dr B, came over, talked to me for a few mins and then smiled at me and said “Welcome to your new life”! I just smiled back and said Thank You!!

Once in the operation room, there was like 6-7 people already in there preparing, I got on the operating table and they started working on me, everyone all over the place. Then finally they put a mask on me and told me to breath in deeply to make sure I had plenty of oxygen in my lungs, and don’t remember anything after that, little buggers didn’t even told me I was going to sleep!!

So in the waking room, first thing I remembered when I heard someone calling my name, was “Holy Shit!! What have I just done to myself!!?”  My chest felt like there was a 50 lb brick lying there!! I could hardly breathe and my mouth was so dry that all I wanted to water, they did give me water, which really surprised me, they gave me water and a straw and I was able to drink a little. 

Then nausea started! Seems every 5 mins or so it was hitting me and they had to give me some meds so I wouldn’t get sick. I think I stayed in that room for about 1 hr or so, not so sure, as I know is that they moved me to my ICU room at about 3pm or so.

So mostly from this point on I was so sleepy and slept most of the day.  At night, different story, was not able to sleep, had a lot of pains, still nauseated and they had to keep giving medication for that. At night I was only able to sleep about 1 hr at a time then I would wake up in pain till they gave me more meds.

Next day was still pretty rough also, Monique and Rinette came to see me shortly after 9am and talked to me for a bit, then maybe about ½ hr later, Dr B came to talk to me, gave me the ok to go home that day. So I left the hospital prob around noon.

The rest of that day was pretty rough also, couldn’t drink water or take any meds, as at home I vomited when I tried to take prescription with a little water so slept most of that day also.

3rd day, was able to sip a little water without feeling sick at all, and from then, it kept getting a bit better each day. I took pain meds maybe for the first 3 days, but it wasn’t every 4 hrs, after that it was only mostly at night because I found if I took them during the day it would just make me sleepy.

So 1st week done and liquids are coming down not too bad, still have some gas bubbles in my sleeve depending what I drink, I’m doing really well with Jello and happy I can have that!

Looking forward to start blended food, I need to think of what kind of things will actually be half decent blended so if any of you have any ideas of what you had please feel free to share and give me ideas!!

Over all, I’m glad I had surgery, I know it will just keep getting better and better as the days goes by!


About Me
Surgery Date
Jul 08, 2011
Member Since

Friends 22

Latest Blog 4