So now the journey begins. . .

Dec 24, 2008

I can't believe that I actually did it.  I'm not one who typically follows through on things that are "all about me", especially when it concerns my well being.  I tend to always put everyone in the forefront.  However, as of Monday, Dec. 22nd I took control of me.  My surgery went well and without any complications so I am very pleased and relieved to know that that part is now behind me.  I came home as planned today although it was questionable last night given that I still had my catheter in and was not really passing any fluid.  I had become dehydrated.  I know I am not a doctor nor do I pretend to be one but I was kind of baffled as to how I could become dehydrated when I was having IV fluids pushed through me plus extra.  All it took was a water pill and I was good to go "literally", lol.  It felt good just to walk in the door at home.  It truly felt like a new beginning.  Now it is up to me.  I'm no longer have someone there making sure that I'm taking my meds, drinking or walking.  Every thing seemed different, especially the way that I look at food.  All of which I am very excited.  I feel I have been given a second chance and I want to take advantage of this opportunity. 

I found myself putting something in the fridge and looking at all the food that was in there and feeling sad.  I will no longer be turning to food for comfort.  Even though initially I felt sad there was a sense of accomplishment (I shut the door which I never did before without grabbing something out).  Although I am sure it helps that right now I have no real appetite and food does not look very appealing.  I hope the later stays with me for quite a while.

My stay in the hospital was unbelievable.  Being one that has never been in the hospital before I wasn't sure what to expect.  Everyone though helped to ease my nerves.  From my surgeon to the dietary folks they were all soooooooooooooooooooooo nice.  On a lighter note I had my own version of Dr. McSteamy with me throughout my stay.  OMG how lucky was I.  A couple of the nurses even walked to halls with me even though I was ok and did not need any assistance.  They said they would just walk and talk with me since I could only walk the halls and make a big circle which was boring.  Anything I asked for they did without hesitation and smiled whiled they were doing it.  My nurse this morning before being discharged even hugged me and wished me the best of luck.  Wow!  I would not hesitate to recommend West Penn Hospital or Dr. Gagne.  They are superior and I feel very blessed.

Well I am struggling with the liquids but I am giving it my best to make sure I am getting them in.  Hopefully, once I get myself in a routine everything will work it's self out.  I do notice that everything except popcicles needs to be room temperature.  If it's too cold or hot I get some cramping.  Unfortunately though I think I am getting a cold.  My throat is super sore and I feel like my head is becoming congested.  Well I prayed a few times that I wouldn't catch anything prior to surgery so it probably has caught up with me now.

Thanks to everyone who had me in their thoughts and prayers.  It's great to know that there is such a wonderful support system.  May "yunz" have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year. 

1 Comment

About Me
Surgery Date
Oct 27, 2008
Member Since

Friends 13

Latest Blog 3
Six days and counting