Need Some Motivation

Dec 03, 2008

I have been doing really well up to this point.  My weight loss has been steady, I've been eating the right foods and I've been exercising.  My exercise consists of trying to walk at least 8.000 steps a day, and I usually do 4 laps around Triangle Towncenter Mall in Raleigh during my lunch break.  I haven't gone the last 3 days, however, and am feeling really guilty about it.  I do NOT want to sabotage myself and I know I just need to force myself to get up and go.

I am feeling better, I've lost two inches around my waist (from a 48 to a 46), and have had to buy some new clothes.  I'm thrilled and also terrified that the weight loss will stop---I know I have to be committed to this, get off my lazy a#$ and move.  Help!

First Fill Yesterday

Nov 21, 2008

I'm sorry its been a while since my last post.  Overall, things have been going well, although I still fight bouts fo excessive gas and bloating which is really irritating.  I'm downing the Gas-X strips like there's no tomorrow.

I went in for an appointment with my surgeon yesterday.  I had lost 8lbs. since my last visit on Nov. 10, so my total loss so far is 31lbs.  The doctor seemed pleased and he asked me a lot of questions about how I was feeling and what I was eating.  I have transitioned to solid foods and am eating a little more than I thought I should, so the doctor did a fill of 1cc.

It is certainly true that my feelings of hunger are pretty much abating, but getting sick or bloated from eating the wrong things help reinforce that message to the brain.  I have been doing about four laps every day around the local mall and that seems to be helping as well.

If I could just control this gas, things would be great!

Eleven Days Post Surgery

Nov 05, 2008

Recovery has actually been a little rough.  I had an infection, some swelling, and a lot of pain.  The doctor put me on steroids and new pain medication and I'm slowly starting to feel human again.  I had hoped things would be smoother, but I guess I just had to endure a bit more to get to my new lifestyle.  Believe me, food has been the furthest thing from my mind.  I got on the scale today---306lbs., as compared to 335 on the day of surgery.  I'm excited, but I know the hard work still lies ahead.

Today was only my second full day back at work.  I tried to return to work last week, but ended up in the emergency room instead, as I was doubled over in pain at work and my boss ordered me to the hospital.  They pumped me fool of fluids, found the infection and got me started on new meds.  All's well that ends well.

I hope you all are well and please don't be discouraged by my story.  I'm well on my way to feeling better and thrilled at the weight I've lost so far (I can already feel the difference, believe it or not---I feel a lot lighter afoot, but maybe that's just the pain meds LOL).

Still Really, Really Sore

Oct 26, 2008

Well, its been a little over 48 hours since my surgery.  I have no nausea, no vomiting or anything, but I am still extremely sore.  It hurts a great deal just getting in and out of bed or a chair.  I am trying to move as much as I can.  It actually feels best just to stand and/or walk.

I've been drinking only water and broth, but this morning decided to be daring and try a protein shake (since I hear protein helps to heal you faster).  It took me about 2 hours to drink the whole thing, but no nausea or other nasty stuff.

The soreness is keeping me from being physically hungry (I can't imagine eating anything right now), but the head hunger has definitely kicked in.  I had a dream last night about fried chicken.  LOL

I'm not going back to work until Wednesday.  Hopefully, I'll be a lot less sore then.  I'm the typical male patient, I guess; grouchy and just wanting to move on more quickly than I should.

Talk to you all again soon!

--Bob in NC

Extremely Successful Surgery

Oct 24, 2008

 I am truly amazed.  I had my surgery at 7:15m and, 75 miles later, was home at 11:30am.  When I came out of the anasthesia I felt so good that I told the nurses I wanted to walk around so they would release me faster.  They made sure I wasn't vomiting and could keep water down and let me go.  Other than being very sore and groggy from the pain meds, I feel great!

I guess the hard part begins now.  Major lifestyle changes and making exercise my friend.  I feel really motivated now that I have FINALLY had surgery.  I know I need to be around for my wife and my little girl and the rest of my family.

It has really been great receiving so many kind messages from folks.  I know I will need your support and encouragement in the days ahead, and I hope I can provide the same.

I think now I will take a walk aroud the house and head back to bed.  Take care all!

--Bob in NC

. . . and the journey continues

Oct 22, 2008

Well, I have jumped through all the presurgical hoops:

* lab work
* chest x-ray
* upper GI
* psych. evaluation
* nutritionist consultation
* ekg
* submit paperwork to insurance
* insurance approval
* pre-surgical registration at Rex Hospital in Raleigh

The next step is the actual surgery.  I had my last solid food last night:  chicken parmesan.  Nothing but clear liquids today, tomorrow and for the next two weeks.  I passed by Fuddruckers on my way to work today and almost cried.  LOL

My wife is upset because she absolute CANNOT get off of work tomorrow, so my father-in-law is being a trooper and taking me.  Since I have to be at the hospital at 5:15am, and the hospital is 75 miles away, we decided to get a hotel room right by Rex so I can basically roll out of one bed and into another.

Well, if all goes well, and I'm not too drugged up with pain medication, I'll post tomorrow evening and let you know how everything went!

--Bob in NC

About Me
Hope Mills, NC
Surgery Date
Apr 12, 2007
Member Since

Friends 6

Latest Blog 6
Need Some Motivation
First Fill Yesterday
Eleven Days Post Surgery
Still Really, Really Sore
Extremely Successful Surgery
. . . and the journey continues