Feb 21, 2008

I will be two years post-op RNY on March 2.  I haven't updated my file in months so I thought I would do some catching up today...

Old me                      New me

weight 320                  weight 135(toggle between 135-142)
pant size 30/32             pant size 6
shirt size 3X               shirt size s (4-6)
undies size 13              undies size 6
bra size 44 C               bra size 34 B (not happy   
                                about this one, lol)
shoe size 10 wide           shoe size 8 regular

I have lost 185 pounds and feel great!!  I actually enjoy cleaning my house now!  Alot has happened since my surgery..My dear hubby of almost 21 years was critically injured in a motorcycle wreck on his 6 month surgiversary which was September 29,  2006.  We spent 83 days in Vanderbilt hospital, and it was very touch and go for a long time.  According to medical records, he shouldn't even be alive.  He had a ruptured heart and most people with that bleed out at the scene.  He is now a paraplegic as a result of the accident.  God saw fit to allow me to have him on this earth a while longer.  Had it not been for HIS intervention, I would be without my best friend and soulmate.  We have come a long way, and still have a way to go, but I know with God's grace, we will be fine!  Because of all of the doctor's appointments, I was taken off of my "salaried" position and put on an hourly rate. This has put us in a little bit of a pinch, but you know what? My God has not forsaken us or forgotten us.  HE has taken care of us by making sure all of our bills have been met!  Then, on October 2007, I lost the other best man in my life, my daddy. I miss him dearly and think about him daily, but again, because of God's grace and promises, I will see him again.  I could go on and on, but I have no reason to whine.  I am a blessed woman!!  I thank God daily that he made a way for me to have this surgery.  He knew that today I would be where I am and he knew that I could not have done it weighing in @ 320 pounds.  I cannot express in words what God means to me and how much I've learned to FULLY depend upon HIM.  He has proven himself to me over and over this last 2 years.  People have said to me over and over again about how strong of a person I am and they don't know how I've handled things so well....I haven't...GOD is doing it through me..Before the accident, I only "partly" trusted him with my life. I can assure you that when I got that dreaded call, I gave my life to him 100% and I haven't been the same since.  I do want to thank my immediate family, friends (especially Michelle who was my crutch through the critical times) church family, co-workers, Brian's co-workers, total strangers, and of course, my OH family for all of your prayers, well wishes and support.  Sorry, if it sounds like I am a preacher's wife (which I am, by the way)but my cup runneth over today.  I am so at peace with everything and only wish I could give it to  each of you. Please, if you do not know this man called Jesus, search HIM out before it is too late.  I have been asked if the surgery was worth it, if i would do it again.  My answer to both questions is YES!!  Thanks for taking the time to read this "book", and if I can help you in any way, please feel free to call on me! I will try to post some pics soon, I promise! I love you all!


Jun 14, 2007


Mar 29, 2007

I know this is a little late as I actually celebrated my one year anniversary on March 2.  However alot has transpired in a year and I wanted to get my thoughts in order before I posted.  First let me say that I know my whole profile is not here right now.  I will update it as time allows.  As some of you know, my husband, Brian, was critically injured in a motorcycle accident on September 29, 2006.  That was about our 6 month post-op date.  We spent the next 83 days at Vanderbilt hospital.  He is now a paraplegic, but THANK GOD I still have him.  I do not know why God allowed this to happen, but I know that it was for a reason and I am still trusting Him to live day by day.  My hubby is the most important part of me and I don't know how I'd have made it if God had chosen to take him home.  By all medical aspects, he should not be here.  He had a torn aorta which most people die from before they ever leave the scene of the accident.  Of the 10 % that do, only 3 % of those actually make it to the hospital in time.  Brian also had various other breaks and fractures.  Please keep us in your prayers as we continue to adjust to this new lifestyle.  I wouldn't trade it for the alternative.  I will say that if we'd not had the WLS, he probably wouldn't have pulled through and/or I wouldn't have the energy that it takes to keep going.  I am doing my best to take care of him and hold down a full time job.  This has not been easy, but again, it sure beats the alternative.  I am still 100% happy with my WLS, and can now say I am NORMAL again.  Not even overweight, much less morbidly obese, which is where I started on this journey.  My starting bmi was 50, now it's 24.4!!  I have gone from 30/32 pants down to 10/12.  From 3-4X shirts down to S/M.  Shoe size has gone from 10W to 8 1/2.  I am 6 pounds away from the 150 goal.  I have lots more energy.  I feel like doing things that I wouldn't even have considered a year ago.  Would I do it again???  You betcha, without even batting an eye.  I still see myself as big when I look into the mirror sometimes, but I know that is a mind thing.  I do have to be careful that I am not doing too much "grazing".   I will try to post pics soon, I promise!!  I have met all of the goals I set out to meet.  I am finally happy with me(except for loose skin issues, LOL).  I could not have done it without first of all, my God, who has held me in the palm of His hands, my hubby who is STILL my earthly rock, my family who have been more than supportive, my surgeon, Dr. Torquati, and of course, my obesity family who have given my sound advice and suggestions over the last year.    If you are reading this and are thinking about having the WLS, I cannot direct you as only you can make that decision.  I can tell you that it is working for me and has been the best thing I have ever done for me.  Just be sure you are ready for a lifetime commitment.  God bless and keep you all in his care.  Hugs!

APRIL 2006

Apr 02, 2006

So sorry I didn't get back on my one month post-op date.  I ended up back in the hospital that morning.  I was having severe nausea and vomitting.  Turns out I had a stricture.  Email me if you'd like to know what that is.  They had to go in through my throat and dialate my opening to my new pouch.  I went in through the ER and ended up staying in the ER all that day and part of the next day as there again were no beds!  I felt better immediately after the procedure and went home the day after I went there.  Brian is doing complications.  Hugs, Donna (2 Kings 20:5)

MARCH 2006

Feb 28, 2006

March 12, 2006

Just wanted to let everyone know that I am home and am feeling great now. I did have some complications, but they were not related to the surgey itself. I will update more in a day or two. It feels great to finally be sitting on that loser's bench. Thanks for saving me a seat. A special thank you to my angel, Angela. Hugs,
Donna (2 Kings 20:5)


March 13, 2006

Okay...for all you that are just dying to are the details of my surgery as best as I can remember them. I arrived at Vanderbilt medical center and was placed in a holding room. I was given my IV and was allowed to visit with my hubby, daddy and sister until they came after me. They actually came for me a few minutes early which is a rarity. Two hours later the surgery was over and I was back in the holding room because they didn't have a regular room to put me in. I had no pain whatsoever from the operation. Thank you God for hearing and answering my prayer! I was just a little sore and tender where the incisions were. I also was running a low temp, but otherwise felt fine. I was slated to go home the next day, but developed some nausea so they kept me until Saturday. I was so glad to get home and in my bed. I was getting in all protein and liquids and even went to church on Sunday night, one day after being home. Then on Monday I started vomitting. At first I thought I had just drank too fast or too much. But as the evening went on, I got worse. I wasn't being able to hold anything down. On Tuesday morning, it was back to Vandy I go. I was so dehydrated that Dr. T started me on Iv fluids while I was in his office. They ended up admitting me again.

/////(Side note: As they were fixing to get me off the elevator to take me to my room, the elevator didn't stop on the 9th floor as intended; it shot straight to the roof and a message came on and said, "code blue, please exit the elevator." Life flight (air transport) had arrived with a patient and I had to wait for them to get that patient in the elevator and taken to the ER before I could get back on and proceed to my room. The wheelchair escort kept apologizing for me having to wait. I told him it was fine, at least I was sitting up and breathing!)/////

Finally, they determined that it was a intestional flu bug which I caught while at the hospital the first time. They had several patients that had left come back with the same symptoms. They ended up giving me mega bags of potassium, thiacin, magnesium, B-6, B-12, fluids, and I can't remember if there was anything else. I was one sick puppy. I had 5 bags dripping through my IV at the same time. My veins were no where to be found. I ended up with an IV in 3 different spots. They had to take blood from my neck. Keep in mind that I had just had the WLS, got the intestional flu, now throw the monthly cycle in on top of that and you can imagine how I felt. Finally got my discharge orders on Friday.

/////(Side note: When the nurse took out the IV before I left, she stuck a band-aid on it and we thought we were good to go. As I attempted to put on my shoe, I noticed blood on my sock. I looked up at my wrist where the IV had been, and blood was flowing freely, it was everywhere. The nurse took off the band-aid and when she released the pressure, blood spurted all over that side of the room. What makes this funny is the fact that they had such a hard time getting any blood from me when they needed to, and now it's just free-flowing. Go figure!)/////

I think I am back on the right track now, although it is a bit harder for me to get in all of my liquids and protein now. Again, I want to stress that the 2nd hospital stay had NOTHING to do with the surgery itself. So don't let this discourage or scare you if you are considering this surgery. I have already reaped some benefits. I am down 25.5 pounds since the liquid diet. Sometimes I can see it, sometimes I can't. As far as the list of stuff that I needed for the hospital...I only used the chapstick, baby wipes, and my hubby. The MOST IMPORTANT thing you can carry with you is your support person. YOU WILL NEED ONE! Brian was there with me (both times) every step of the way and helped with some major chores that we won't discuss here. Funny thing is it was the little things I needed him for...wetting a wash cloth, brushing my hair, answering the phone, and the list goes on. Brian stood up to the challenge and passed with flying colors. He was at my every call. Every time I moved he was right there asking me what I needed. I only hope I am as much help for him as he was for me. I felt so bad that he had to spend all those nights in a hard chair. It reclined, but it wasn't a recliner. Don't bother asking for a cot, they are not allowed to have them on the 9th floor due to fire codes, at least that is what we were told. You guys please keep Brian in your prayers. He starts his liquid diet Wednesday and his big day is March 23rd.

He almost backed out when he saw what I was going through with the virus. He is ok with it now that he knows it had nothing to do with the WLS. Enough typing for now. Thank you all for your prayers and well wishes. Good luck to everyone regardless of where you are on your journey. Donna (2 Kings 20:5)


March 22, 2006

Hello all. Just thought I'd let everyone know that tomorrow I will be 3 wks post-op and have lost 38.5 lbs. so far! I actually have shin bones that I can see again! I am having a bit of a problem with my energy level. I can do a little something and then have to sit down til I am rested and then try again. Is this normal for 3 wks post-op? They gave me a B-12 shot the last time I was in the hospital but I haven't really noticed any real benefits from it yet. I guess it just takes time. Brian goes for his surgery tomorrow. He has lost 12 lbs. on his liquid diet. Please pray for him that he will have a pain-free uneventful surgery. Good luck to all the March re-births and to those of you still awaiting your approval. Hugs, Donna (2 Kings 20:5)


March 27, 2006

Just a quick drop-in to let everyone know that Brian came through his surgery. He did experience some severe nausea and vomitting. He came home on Saturday and is doing great. I will update more on Thursday which is my one month post-op date. Can't wait to share the news with you all. Good luck to you wherever you are on your WL journey. Hugs, Donna (2 Kings 20:5)


Jan 31, 2006

February 2, 2006

Hello, all. Just wanted to post an update on a couple of things. First of all, I contacted the insurance company this morning, and DH, Brian's case is officially under review. Shouldn't be much longer now before he gets his approval...I am not worried about him being approved...he has type ll diabetes, high blood pressure, hypertension, as well as other co-morbidities. It is just a matter of formality with him now. I now have an angel. Her name is Angela Russell and she is the one who turned me on to this site. Thanks Ange, love ya girl! Please pray for her step-son, James. He is 12 and is having some potentially dangerous medical problems. Also, my mom is having outpatient surgery Monday on her ankle. Please pray for a fast recovery. GOD is the great physician and he is STILL in the healing business! Good luck to everyone reading this no matter where you are on your journey. Future loser, Donna
(2Kings 20:5)


February 7, 2006

I am jumping for joy right now! Hubby also got approved!! Thank you again God! I just called the insurance company and his letter is going out today. He doesn't know it yet, because he is away from his desk. Hopefully, the worst of the waiting is now behind us. I will update again as soon as I know what the next step is. Now I am really pumped!! Good luck to you no matter where you are on your journey! Also, thank you Myra for sprucing up my profile. Very pretty!! Donna (2 Kings 20:5)


February 8, 2006

I HAVE A DATE!! It is March 2nd...of THIS year. I can hardly believe I got one so quick. Of course, this may have to be rescheduled due to the fact that I am not sure now that Dr. Torquati will do both surgeries on the same day! That upsets me a bit for the day is...My son, Josh and his wife Tammy found out today that the contract offer they put in on a new home has been approved, so they will officially be homeowners hopefully by the end of this month. Way to go kiddo's! I have so much to get done before my big day. I had no idea it would be this soon. Good luck to those still waiting. Donna (2 Kings 20:5)


February 10, 2006

I just got off the phone with Dr. T's nurse and she says he absolutely will NOT do the surgeries on the same day. At first I thought bummer...but I am now thinking that is GOD'S way of saying we don't need to have them on the same day. I must admit I am feeling a little bit guilty about mine being first. I guess the main thing is that we both will be having it. Besides, in general, men lose weight quicker than women, so, don't worry Brian, you will catch up to me in no time. I have a consultation scheduled for Feb. 14th @ 9 a.m. Then @ 9:30. I do all of my pre-admit stuff. I am so excited, I can hardly contain myself. I only hope that DH doesn't see what I go through and then back out. Please pray for both of us but especially Brian. He has never spent a night in a hospital or been put to sleep. He has seen a documentary on people "waking up" during surgery, and is a little apprehensive about the whole thing. ***THE FOLLOWING IS A SPECIAL NOTE FOR FAMILY AND FRIENDS. YOU MAY THINK THIS MORBID, AND YOU MAY NOT WANT TO READ IT. IF NOT, SKIP DOWN TO WHERE THE CAPS ARE OFF.*** DEAR FAMILY AND FRIENDS, PLEASE DON'T WORRY ABOUT ME. INSTEAD, PUT ALL OF THAT ENERGY INTO PRAYING FOR ME. IF SOMETHING WERE TO GO TERRIBLY WRONG, THEN IT WAS IN GOD'S PLAN THAT MY TIME WAS UP. PLEASE REST ASSURED THAT I WILL BE IN HEAVEN WITH JESUS. I AM A WINNER EITHER WAY! I LOVE EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU VERY MUCH AND HOPE THAT I HAVE SHOWN THAT LOVE TO YOU. IF YOU DON'T KNOW JESUS, PLEASE SEARCH HIM OUT SO THAT WE WILL BE TOGETHER AGAIN. I don't forsee anything going wrong, but just in case it does, I just feel that the above statement needed to be put there. The countdown has begun. 20 more sleeps and a wake-up! Good luck to everyone awaiting approval. Donna (2 Kings 20:5)


February 15, 2006

Hello to all of my OH buddies! We finally got huubby's approval letter in the mail on Monday. We are now waiting to see when his big day is. I met with Dr. T, the surgeon, yesterday, am am at peace with him doing the surgery. I asked him if he was a praying man, a Christian, and he informed me that he is a praying man, attends mass every Saturday, and relies on faith. Whew, what a relief to know your surgeon is a PRAYING surgeon. I also had bloodwork, a urinalysis, and an EKG done. Now I just have 2 nutritionist appts. to get behind me and then the big day will be here before I know it. Only 15 sleeps and a wake-up! Oh my gosh...I haven't even started packing yet! LOL! Dr. T was impressed with how much I knew about the surgery and was proud that I had done my research. A lot of that information came right from this site. Thank ye! His nurse Maureen told me she knew I was going to be a "fun" patient. She even told me today that she wanted me to keep her informed on our progress...she really likes me. ((big grin)). Hubby went with me so he doesn't have to see the surgeon when he goes for his consultation, he will just have to be weighed in. I have put in a call to find out when his date is, and am still waiting for a return call. I am also trying to get his nutririonist appts. for the same day as mine so we don't have to make so many trips to Nashville, about 45 minutes away. Many thanks to Myra, who placed my first ticker for me. I just couldn't get it to pop up! Myra, you're the bomb! DH and I had Valentine's dinner at Ruby Tuesday's and I ate my "Last Supper" complete with a huge piece of cake, called a Blondie. For those of you who don't know what that is a HUGE chocolate chip cookie in the form of a cake. They give you this gigantic piece topped with ice cream and caramel sauce. Very good! Now I have to try and lose 5-10 more pounds by surgery day. No problem, I will just start my liquid diet today, two weeks before surgery. LOL A special thanks to you Brian, for escorting me around Vanderbilt yesterday. I would've been so lost without you! I am so looking forward to a healthier life with you! Good luck to those still awaiting approval. Donna (2 Kings 20:5)*****LATER SAME DAY***** Brian has a date! His surgery is scheduled for March 23rd @ 7:30 a.m. YOU GO BOY!!


February 21, 2006

Hello, all. Tomorrow is my first meeting with the nutritionist. Brian's is also tomorrow, same place, same time. I can hardly wait to see exactly what I can have to eat and when. I want to make sure everything I need will be there when I get home. And of course, I will have to share with Brian. That's ok...we've shared lots of things over the years. Please pray for him as he seeks direction on pastoring a church. He knows he has this calling on his life, and is praying for the door to open. Pray for me also that when that time comes that I will be the pastor's wife that God would have me be. I have been in a cleaning frenzy the last few days. Doing things I haven't done in months, just trying to make sure the house is in order so Brian can devote all his time to taking care of me. LOL. Brian, I know you are reading this and I want to thank you up front for taking such good care of me, as I know you will. I draw so much energy in the fact that I know you are my # 1 cheerleader. What worries me is that I also know you will be my # 1 coach...HE HE HE!! I love you and thanks for all you do! You losers slide over and make room on that loser's bench. You got another team mate coming...9 sleeps and a wake-up! (2 Kings 20:5)


February 23, 2006

Hello to all. I went for my first nutritionist appt. yesterday and am now on a liquid diet until surgery day...7 sleeps and a wake-up! My "food" now consists of 8 ozs. of skim milk and a packet of carnation's instant breakfast mix (no sugar added) 6 times a day, about every 3 hours. That along with LOTS OF WATER seems to be doing the trick. I had one more "last meal" last night and probably could've had anything I wanted, and you'll never guess what I chose??? McDonald's! I wanted a double quarter pounder meal, go large, and an apple pie, and that's exactly what I had! Still not nervous at this point, just really excited!! I need to go ahead and pack a hospital bag so I won't forget anything. My DH has taken off of work and will be with me, so I can keep him busy retrieving things from the bag and then returning them! Good luck to all those awaiting approval. Donna (2 Kings 20:5)


February 27, 2006

Hello. Just wanted to let everybody know that I am doing okay with my liquid diet. I am on day 5 and other than a bad headache and feeling a little weak, I am doing fine. I have lost 8 1/2 pounds since Thursday on the liquid diet. I am anxious to see if the nutritionist' scale says the same. I go back for my last pre-op visit today. I still am not the least bit nervous. I think it is because I have God's peace and he is holding me high above the anxiety level. Thursday may be a different story, so keep those prayers coming. I also want to take this time to thank everyone that has signed my surgery support page. I plan on printing it out and taking it with me to the hospital. This will probably be my last post until after the surgery so take care and polish my seat on the loser's bench. I'll be there in three sleeps and a wake-up! Good luck to all other March "re-births" and to those still waiting. Happy birthday Brian (tomorrow), I love you, and will try to make this as easy as possible on you! Hugs, Donna (2 Kings 20:5)


Dec 31, 2005

January 4, 2006

Happy New year! I hope and pray everyone had a good Christmas. I had a great one and didn't worry about the WLS during this time. But now, it is full speed ahead. 2006 is my year. I am so excited, and at the same time trying to be patient. I spoke with the insurance company again this morning to be sure what they wanted and was told they needed something from my PCP about any weight loss attempts that I've had over the past two years! So, I typed up a letter to my PCP stating what diets I have tried and have asked him to put that in a letter and fax it to the insurance company. Keep your fingers crossed for me! Has anyone else had luck with that actually working? I am trying really hard to deal with my knee pain which is constant in one knee and the other one is hurting more now. I have gotten a new blender so I will have that for my new "gourmet" food. My DH got me an indoor grill, kinda like George Forman, only Hamilton Beach makes it. That will come in handy when I graduate from the"gourmet" food. LOL . I am addicted to the OH website. I can't stop reading it for information. My DH says he doesn't want to read anything on here so that he won't be assessing his situation by someone elses. This surprises me because he is a very analytical person, likes to analyze things that don't amount to a hill of beans. I love him though, he is my rock on this earth. I am trying to read as much as I can so that I will know what to expect and how to handle it when it comes. I've learned alot. Today I learned that the effects of alcohol are intensified after the WLS. Good thing I only like a glass of wine every now and then! I had tried to post a pic, but it's not on here, so maybe I didn't do it right. Will work on that. Better get back to work now. Looking forward to being called a LOSER. Good luck to all who are awaiting approval.


January 5, 2006

I just called my PCP to find out if he accepted requests via fax and he does! So, I faxed him a copy of the letter telling him EXACTLY what I needed. Hopefully he will type it up and get it to the insurance company soon. If I have to do the monthly weigh-in thing, then I'll just have to do it. I just don't want to do it. I want to get this surgery out of the way so I can start living again. My DH and I are going on a cruise next year for our 20 year anniversary and I so want to be at least a size 14 by then. You can find some really cute formal dresses when you get down to that size. Good luck to all who are awaiting approval.


January 10, 2006

Hello, all. I went to the doctor Friday about my knee and they think I have soft tissue damage, a direct result of me carrying all this weight around. I came home and proceeded to get very sick. Losing liquids from both ends, bad headache, achy, couldn't sleep. Must have been flu, not sure. The letter that I had sent to my pcp was paper clipped to my file, so I know they got it on Thursday. I will try to call them today to see if anything has been done on it. Wish me luck! Good luck to all those still waiting. Future Loser, Donna


January 11, 2006

Today is a good day for me. I just got a call from my pcp's nurse. The letter is ready! YIPPEE! She is going to fax it to the insurance company today. PLEASE pray that it will work and this is the last big hurdle I have to jump. I tried Slim Fast's extra protein shake and it is not bad. I think I can live with that one if it meets the protein requirements. Now I have to concentrate on helping hubby get what he needs. I am feeling better today, other than still feeling a little run down. Also, today is my son's 21st birthday. I am starting to feel old. I know this surgery will help with this problem. RIGHT!! Future Loser, Donna


January 12, 2006

I just called the insurance company and they say that it could be 10-14 days before it shows up in their system that they have received the letter. I am going to make a committment to call them every other day. I will bug them until they have to approve me to get me out of their hair. I am not downhearted yet. I expected the first denial. I know that some of you have waited months and now it is my time to play the waiting game. I know they are going to put it off as long as they can, hoping I will just change my mind and drop it. FAT CHANCE!! (lol) They don't know who they are dealing with. I am a very head-strong person and I WILL HAVE THIS SURGERY. My PCP did an excellent job typing my letter. He didn't leave anything out. I am so proud of him. Thank you Dr. Sherley!! Good Luck to those who are in the same boat as I am. Waiting for the day I can be called a Loser, Donna


January 20, 2006

Hello all. Sorry I haven't updated in a few days. I called the insurance company on Wednesday. They told me they hadn't received my letter from my PCP. I called my PCP and sure enough, it wasn't sent until Monday. Why did it take them from Thursday until Monday to fax a letter? To make matters worse, Monday was MLK, JR day, and the insurance company wasn't even working that day. So I called them again yesterday, Thursday, and it isn't noted in my file as being receive yet. I did have a nice gentleman by the name of Adam tell me that while it does sometimes take 10-14 days for the letter to be scanned into their system, there will be a notation in your file within 2-3 days showing that it has at least made it to their office. I will call again in a few to see if it has made it into their office. My knees are not in as much pain since they prescribed me mobic. My spirits are still high! I have been reading every profile I can get my hands on. I want to know the good, the bad, the ugly...I want to know it all. I am fixing to call the insurance company back. I told them yesterday to be prepared to hear from me every day. Every other day is too long to wait. Good luck to all of those still waiting on an approval. Don't give up. If you are as committed as I am , WE WILL HAVE THIS SURGERY!! Future Loser, Donna

P.S. This is the power verse that will help me make it through the surgery with no worries:


Victory is mine, I am claiming it right now in the name of Jesus!!


January 25, 2006

FINALLY! The insurance company just told me that they do have the letter; received it 01/20/06, and that is was in review. Could be 7-14 days before I get my answer. PLEASE SAY A PRAYER IN MY NAME! I will definitely be calling every day now. Today is the 3rd business day and counting! I have started trying to drink 100 oz. of water a day, and boy is it hard. The good thing is I'm not hungry and haven't had much problem with head hunger. I now understand when of members have said it is so hard to get your liquids in. I haven't even had surgery YET and it is hard to get in 100 ozs. I just can't imagine having to drink 64 ozs. of water plus the protein shakes with a stomach the size of a shot glass....but I am so looking forward to doing it! My DH has sent his request for his letter to the PCP, and hopefully they have done it by now, and he is well on his way too. I am hearing that I need to make some goals for myself, so here is my list. Some are immediate, some are in moderate time, and some are long-range. In random order they are:


1. Be approved for WLS - ACCOMPLISHED
2. Weigh less than my husband - ACCOMPLISHED
3. Cross my legs like normal people - ACCOMPLISHED
4. Tie my shoes AFTER I zip up my pants - ACCOMPLISHED
6. Be at a healthy weight -ACCOMPLISHED
7. Be a size 14 by cruise time with my hubby-ACCOMPLISHED
8. Have energy to burn - ACCOMPLISHED
9. Run, Run, Run - ACCOMPLISHED
10. Ride all amusement park rides, not just ones with wide seats
and big seatbelts. ACCOMPLISHED
11. Fly on an airplane without having to ask for an
12. By cute clothes, not just ones that fit - ACCOMPLISHED

I will update as soon as I know something else. I am still looking for a couple who has gone through or is thinking about going through the WLS at or about the same time. Email me, I'd love to talk with you. Good luck to all those still waiting. (2 Kings 20:5) - "I HAVE HEARD YOUR PRAYER, I HAVE SEEN YOUR TEARS. SURELY I WILL HEAL YOU". I have such an overwhelming sense of peace come over me every time I recite this verse. It is this assurance that lets me know that God is on my side and this WLS will go as HE decides it should go. Thank you Lord for your blessings on me!
Good luck to those who are still in limbo. Don't give up!! Half of the battle was won when you made the decision to have WLS. Future Loser, Donna


January 26, 2006

4th business day and still waiting. WAITING definitely is the hard part...tell me yes or tell me no (be ready for an appeal) just tell me something!! I am happy to report that I have my first support on my surgery page. It is from my bestest friend in the whole world. We have been friends for over 20 years now and have managed to stay in touch (she was an army brat, went in herself, and then married one). Thanks Michy, Love ya girl! I can also report that I have lost 9 1/2 pounds because of all the water I'm drinking. My DH is drinking too, so we race to see who can get in more. (I have to admit he won yesterday, but, ah, today is a new day). Remember what I said on a prior post...we like doing things TOGETHER. I love you Brian. I love you more. I love you mostest. You are my source of earthly rock and mean the world to me. WE WILL HAVE THIS SURGERY! I am going to read more profiles now. If you live in TN and have had the WLS, I have read your profile. AL...I am working on you now. I have just been consumed by this site. Thanks again Ange for turning me on to it. It is so cool that you can come on here and read a profile, and shake your head (again and again), and say "yep, I know how you feel." Oh, by the way, Brian had called his PCP and she SAID she faxed his letter today, so we will be checking on that in a couple of days. Move over BC/BS...the Hanvey's are in town. LOL! Good luck to those who are in the same waiting mode as I am. Future loser, Donna (2 Kings 20:5)


January 30, 2006

Just wanted to let everyone know that I kidnapped my DH this weekend and we went to Chattanooga, TN and from there we went to Huntsville, AL. Had lots of fun and did a couple of more "firsts". We went to the IMAX theatre and saw a safari movie in 3-D. Very cool! We also shared a jacuzzi in our private suite. Very, very cool. (BIG GRIN) I am fixing to make my daily call to the insurance company. Will let you know the outcome. APPROVED, APPROVED, APPROVED! Thank you God!! My letter was sent out today. I am anxiously awaiting my copy. I have called Vandy's Pre-determination dept. to find out where I go from here. I am SO excited. Thanks to all who said a prayer in my name. I went from being all calm to having about a zillion butterflies in 60 seconds. This has gone from a far-fetched dream to a reality. I am so psyched! Now we have to make sure DH gets his approval. Good luck to those still waiting. Be really does pay off. Future loser for real, Donna (2 Kings 20:5)


Dec 14, 2005

My insurance company says it is not a covered surgery. Is that the same as "excluded"? If someone has the answer to that, please let me know. I have been told that sometimes if you push it, the insurance company will cover a "not covered" surgery if it is deemed medically necessary.

The next step was to file it on hubby's insurance. They have now said they need more information. They are supposed to be sending me a fax as to what it is they need.

I should tell you that DH, Brian is also trying to have the GBS. We are hoping to have it at the same time so that we can know what the other is going through and for moral support. This is not the first thing we've done "first" together. We got our GED together. We went on our first non-stop plane ride together. And the list goes on. We are a team and it just works better that way. Anybody else gone through it with their spouse at the same time?

I have already had the EGD? (Scope), the ultrasound, the psche. evaluation. I've been to the seminar. Fast forward to today...I am waiting on the letter from the ins. company to see what kind of information they are lacking. So wish me luck.

I want to thank Angela R. for turning me on to this site. I can't stay off of it. Congrats on your weight loss Ange and keep up the good work. You look great!!

If any one has any ideas on how to get an insurance company to pay a "Not covered" surgery, please feel free to email me to [email protected] Will update as I receive more information.

Good luck to all those who are trying to get approved. Cannot wait to be called a LOSER.

Hope you all have a Very Merry Christmas, and remember, if not for Jesus, there would be no reason to celebrate Christmas.

December 21, 2005
Just got a letter from Vanderbilt which states that my insurance company BC/BS is requesting 6 months of weigh-ins and documented proof of a weight loss program. If anyone knows a way around this, please let me know. It is very discouraging to know that I have to wait six months. I wonder if I am going to have to take all the tests over again? Funny how fast that question was answered...Jennifer just emailed me from Vandy and said the tests would still be good. How refreshing to get a bit of good news. I know some of you have waited longer than 6 months and I knew this was going to take some time. I am just so ready to have this surgery done. I am going to try not to worry about it until after Christmas and then its full speed ahead again. I think I am going to have to break down and go to the doctor about my knees. The pain is getting to the point that I can't stand it much longer. Six months longer may put me in a wheel chair. I am still pumped, this is only a setback not a denial. I WILL HAVE THIS SURGERY and be on to a better life for me and my family. All prayers are welcomed! Good luck to all those still waiting. Future loser, Donna

About Me
Clarksville, TN
Dec 19, 2005
Member Since

Before & After
rollover to see after photo
JUNE 2005

Friends 21

Latest Blog 8
APRIL 2006
MARCH 2006