Holy Cow!!!

Dec 16, 2008

I can't believe how long it has been since I have posted a blog, but tomorrow I will be 8 months out and physically I feel amazing. So I took some time over the last couple of days to compose all of my thoughts about what has happened so far...forgive me if I bore you, but here goes.

My WLS journey has taken me so many places so far. In January 2008 I decided it was time to do something about my weight. I had tried unsuccessfully to get the excess weight off. In December 2007, my brother who only weighed 40lbs., ended up with a blood clot on his brain caused by high blood pressure. I had been diagnosed with high blood pressure since I was 14 and this scared me to death. I went to see my PCP on January 10th and asked him for a referral to Barix. I had never pursued RNY before becuase it wouls have inhibited me from being able to care for my brother, a quadrapalegic. On January 12th, my brother passed away and I felt this was confirmation to move on with my surgery. I had my first appt. with Dr. P on January 21st and she said I was a great candidate for surgery. I preceeded with my pre-op testing. I had to have a sleep study in which they found I had sleep apnea, so I had to wear a CPAP for a couple of months before my surgery. I also had to have a stress test and bloodwork which all came back fine. During this pre-op time I also read alot of information on OH and talked to lots of people who had RNY. I wanted to be as prepared as humanly possible to have this done.

I also started attending Barix support group meetings. My first support group meeting was great. WLS patients are a whole different breed of people, they understand things in a totally different way.

You see I had no idea what it would feel like to be "thinner" or even "healthy." I had weighed over 200lbs since I was 10 years old. So the thought of weighing less than that was totally foreign to me. I couldn't even pictue myslef without the excess weight.

So finally my surgery was scheduled for April 17th, 2008. The night before my surgery I went to a post op meeting and Barix and was AMAZED. Mary Ivins was having her 1 year surgiversary and she had done a tremendous job. She was so willing to share and she showed me that my goal was attainable. She made something that seemed so foreign to me and made it real (Thanks, Mary).

When I was in the hospital some of the people I had met from the support group meetings came to visit me and it meant the world to me. They gave me some advice that became very helpful over time. I also had the privilege of sharing my hospital stay with Beth, who also by the way is doing a FABULOUS job.

After surgery I remember experiencing a lot of gas pain and feeling like that would never end. But it did.
In the weeks and months that followed I had some trouble with some foods, mostly b/c I didn't listen hard enough when people told me to take it easy.
By my 4th month out I was eating much easier and was able to tolerate most foods. It was this month that I hit my first goal of weighing less than 200lbs.

At my 6 month appt, I weighed in at 177lbs. I had been at that weight for about a month and figured this was my first BIG stall. Then a friend at the gym gave me some tips of how to get a better workout on the treadmill and I have dropped 15lbs. (Thanks, Mike). I also started a weight training program at the gym thanks to the same great friend and it feels great. I used to hate going to the gym because I felt like a big goofball, but now that I know what I am doing and I feel so great afterwards I go just about everyday.

SO those are the basics. This morning I weighed in at 162lbs. My personal goal is 150 and I hope to reach it by the time I turn 30. That will give me so many reasons to celebrate....guess I better start planning.

If you are considering surgery or have any questions, please feel free to email me......my new pics won't download to OH and my camera is currenlty broken for to see me now you can check out www.myspace.com/ktreavis


6 weeks out

May 31, 2008

Last Thursday I was six weeks out and down 32 lbs since surgery. Overall I am happy with the changes that my body has made. I am getting sick alot and that sickness is making me tired but I am trying to deal with it as best as I can. Even with getting sick I still would have gotten my surgery. 
I have already had some WOW moments and they have made me happy. Most of all my general health is better. If you have any questions feel free to send me a message.

About Me
Surgery Date
Jan 25, 2008
Member Since

Friends 28

Latest Blog 2
6 weeks out