Hi all, I have my orientation on Tuesday 12/27 and am so excited and hopeful. My husband is going with me (he is the BEST) and I can't wait to get the ball rolling. I have read so many great things and find I have a renewed hope for a healthier, happier, more fulfilling life. THANK YOU JESUS!

I had my orientation yesterday and my wonderful husband accompanied me. He is the best, and so supportive. I would be so lost without him. The orientation was wonderful, informative and interesting. They described 3 different procedures which could be done, the pro's and con's of each procedure and a great question and answer part at the end. One of the actual surgeons at MMPC did the orientation and he was funny and very pleasant. From here I meet with my surgeon (Dr. Randal Baker) on Friday 12/30/05 and then the internist, and behaviorist on January 10, 2006. I am getting very excited. From there I wait for a date for surgery (provided they find me to be a candidate for surgery). I do not think there will be any issues, but you never know. My insurance has already told me I am covered and need no authorization ahead of time (how wonderful:-).

Praise God that this whole process has gone so smoothly and I feel like I am in the pefect will of God. When everything comes together perfectly like it has been a well executed plan with no effort or obstacles - I know I am in His will!!! I believe God is leading me through this and has led me to Dr. Baker. I can't help but get excited now :-)

I met with Dr. Randal Baker yesterday and of course my husband went with me too. He was very pleasant and answered all my questions. He kept saying I looked familiar - I know why. I told him that he was a Christian and so was I. We tend to recognize the spirit of God within others.

After speaking with him about my medical history, he confirmed I was a perfect candidate for surgery and that he did not see any issues. From here I go to have a sleep study done (because I SNORE) and meet with the internist and behaviorist on Jan. 10th. Once that is complete I go to scheduling (I do not have to wait for approval from insurance - I am already approved - THANK GOD!) I see a light at the end of the tunnel and am starting to get anxious and excited. Some days it is all I can talk about or think about. I have struggled with my weight all my life and it is such a blessing to finally see hope. I will keep you updated, for now God Bless!

My sleep study is scheduled for January 12th. I am having it done at the hospital where I work in Battle Creek. I am curious to see if I actually do have sleep Apnea. Kind of scary if you ask me. You stop breathing at night. Not sure how well I will sleep away from home and in a strange bed (hospital bed-yuk). My hubby is going to stay with me if he can. We will just squeeze in the same bed if they let us. I love him so much, he is so good to me. Oh well, it would kind of explain why I wake up so many times during the night. And here I thought it was all because I am premenopausal and having hot flashes (LOL- just kidding)!! God bless for now!

They called me from the sleep center and had a cancellation for tonight and wanted to know if I wanted to go tonight rather than waiting until the 12th. I agreed and will be having the study done this evening. This will be great. When I meet with Dr. White and Scott next week, I will have the results from the study complete. Wouldn't that be nice :-) Wow, this has just gone so smoothly - I am getting more and more excited :-)

OK, got my results from the sleep study and it turns out I have moderate sleep apnea. I guess I woke up 187 times in 7.25 hours. I guess that is once every 3.0 minutes. Here all this time I thought I was loosing it. I can't remember stuff sometimes, it is always hard to concentrate - I find I have to really focus or I don't get stuff and I am always tired. I guess now I have to go in again another night and get one of those breathing machines. Not sure if I am going to be able to use it, I can't handle anything on my face or smothering me. Good grief, I am not looking forward to this at all.

Good news is that I meet with Scott and Dr. White tomorrow afternoon and hopefully from there I go to scheduling. It is getting closer and cannot come soon enough for me.

Met with Dr. White and Scott and they were so awesome. Especially Scott Glass. He was so patient and calm and even prayed with me after our consult. I felt so good afterwards.

I have been given the go ahead to move on to scheduling so, here I wait. I have to have the final blood work done tomorrow morning, they will fax the results to MMPC by noon and I will be off to scheduling. Looks like the date will be in the mid-end of Feb. I am guessing the week of 2/20/06. I am waiting to hear from MMPC. I will keep you posted... I am so EXCITED!!!! I hope they can get me in sooner, the waiting is what kills ya! PRAISE GOD for everything!

Well, I had to go and pick up the CPAP machine and start using that. I actually sleep better without it. I have been using it for about 2 weeks now and really cannot seem to get used to it. Oh well. I am also STILL waiting for a surgery date. There were some questions on my chart (I wish they wouuld have called me instead of waiting for me to call them). Seems they never received confirmation of me picking up my CPAP machine, and the final titration results for the second sleep study had not been received yet. ARGHHH, that set me back 2 weeks. I would have had a date by now had all that been sent in a timely manner. I don't know, the hardest part about all this is the waiting. I had to take xanax yesterday when I found out it would be another week before I had a date. I was so stressed. Pray for me :-(

I HAVE A DATE - Wooo-Hooooo!!! I am scheduled for February 21, 2006 - less than a month away. I go in on 2/6 to meet with the Nutritionist and Exercise Therapist and get my yummy suppliments. I hear they are not the greatest, we will see. Then I go in on the 16th for the final checkover before surgery. I am so excited!!!! I will write later - got to tell everyone. Oh, I tried to download my "before pics", but I have to mail them in so hopefully you will see them soon!!! TTYL

Less than 3 weeks until I am on the losing side. Sounds so funny, but true. I'll be a loser LOL, sorry. Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait....... Oh, I figured out how to download my pics :-) These are the "Before" shots.

God Bless

Here it is less than 2 weeks until surgery. I am getting more and more excited. I went to MMPC and met with the Nutritionist and Exercise Therapist. They kind of did a group session with about 12 other people. We got to pick out the food we would be eating for the next two weeks. I am not thrilled about eating this stuff, it tastes terrible, but you would be amazed what you will eat when you’re hungry. This is the 3rd day and I have already lost weight, I can feel it. I did gain 4 pounds from my last weigh in, but who doesn’t do the final PIG OUT until surgery. I ate every thing I wanted and all the stuff I never allow myself to eat. Cookies, ice cream, high and fatty burgers and sandwiches. I pigged out for about two weeks. I actually got sick of eating. I can't lie, I am hungry, but I prayed that God would help me through it and the hunger has not been unbearable. So, I thank Him for that. I will write later, Ta Taaaaa.

OK, it has been almost a week now eating 800 calories a day and I am starving all the time. The weekend was very hard because I am at home and it seems like I ate more when I was home on the weekends. I have stuck with it. I am too afraid not to. What if I do not lose the weight I need to before surgery? That fear keeps me true to this diet. It is kinda hard though. The food is really bad, I hate to tell you. It gives me terrible gas too. My hubby was not too pleased with me the other night, but I was glad I had a chance to get even for all the bad farts I have to endure that come from him HAHAHAHAHAHA!

I was in the elevator at work today and I could smell the food from the lunch room and a few ladies got on the elevator with fries and chicken strips and a nice sandwich and I instantly was hungry again :-( It will all be worth it in the end though and I just have to keep focused on the end result. Kind of like your walk with Jesus, when it gets tuff, keep your eyes focused on the Lord and you'll get there. Love ya and God Bless!

Less than a week away. I have had my friends praying for me and the wonderful people on this site have been a blessing to say the least. I have gotten so much support and wonderful kind words from some of you, I just wanted to thank you all. This is what life is all about, you know? Helping each other, being there for one another, and supporting each other. I am glad I found this site and glad I have met all of you. I pray God bless you.

I AM STILL HUNGRY! This food is getting old real fast. I actually wretched this morning when I opened my oatmeal. Don't get the hot chocolate, it is awful too. The protein bars are about the best I would say. I eat the same thing every day. I wish I would have gotten more of the protein bars, I can't drink the hot chocolate or the cream of chicken soup anymore - I gag. So, I go without.

It was Valentines Day yesterday and there were so many goodies all over the place, chocolates, cakes, cookies, fudge, more cookies. I am proud to say that I did not have one single bite, not even a nibble. It really didn't bother me too much either so that was good.

Steve (my hubby) and I went to the movies and walked the mall last night. We saw The Family Stone, I thought it was pretty good. I gave it a 7.5, Steve gave it an 8.0 (out of a possible 10). Just been passing the time away until my BIG day. Love ya all! God Bless!

Today is the day I go in for my preop appointment. I feel like I have lost more weight and see a difference in the way my clothes fit and my watch fits a little looser too, so I weighed myself. I started this (two weeks before surgery) diet on 2/7/06 at 800 calories a day and 249 pounds. As of today, I weigh 235. I can't believe I have actually lost 14 pounds in 10 days. I have never lost weight that fast before. Anyway, I still have to get on the scales at MMPC so, we will see. OK, so even if the food is terrible - you lose weight on it, that's for sure. TTYL

I am on the losing side now. Yippeeeeee. I got home from the hospital yesterday afternoon and was not feeling the greatest and wondered if I had not been released too soon. But today I feel better and each day it seems I feel a little better. Nothing could have prepared me for the pain though. It hurts! They give you a morphine pump and I wasn't afraid to use it. Dr. Baker said that I had a genetically large liver so it made surgery a challenge. I was glad though when I woke up, I felt my stomach and I did not have a Hugh incision. Thank you Lord and to all of you who prayed for me. They were able to complete it laproscopic. I am so blessed and have the best family in the world. My husband stayed right with me the whole time and they rolled a cot in for him and he never left my side. What an awesome husband God gave me and I could not have asked for anyone better than him. Steve went and got some movies last night and we are going to get some more today and have a movie marathon day. I have been walking around the block and this morning I passed gas. I was so scared I would not. That means everything is running normal and no intestines or anything got twisted and my system is fine. Again, thanks to all of you who faithfully pray for others and have been such wonderful encouragement. Especially you Char! God bless and talk to you all later. I am going to rest right now.

It has been 4 days since surgery and I am feeling better each day. About the 3rd day though, you can really feel those incisions OUCH!!!! I have been walking faithfully and it keeps my system up and running. All the plumbing is doing great and every thing works super. Not sure why I was so worried about passing gas, but now I seem to not be able to stop…. HAHAHAHAHAHA, I am really getting even with Steve for all the years of enduring his Nasty farts HAHAAHAHAHAHA!!! I do not seem to be having too much trouble getting my fluids or protein in. I think it has to do with the Loratab liquid pain medicine they give you. Without it, I am sure I would have some trouble. That’s good, because I DO NOT want to lose my hair. I just got it looking nice!

I got flowers from the ladies at work and have had numerous phone calls and emails. I am doing amazingly well. I just keep doing what they tell me to do and keeping to the program. MMPC called me yesterday too to see how I was doing and to check in on me to see if I had any questions, or problems. That was so nice. Bernie was the nurse I spoke with and she is so nice. She is thorough and patient and very sweet. I am so glad I had all this done through MMPC - they never let me down and have been wonderful. I have a couple friends stopping by so, got to run. Will write later…
Love ya and God Bless!

It has been over a week now since surgery and I am starting to feel better. Each day is a little better and better. I was able to get in the hot tub last night for the first time in over a week and it felt so good. I am not sure how much weight I have lost since surgery – I am guessing about 12 pounds plus the weight before surgery (11 pounds) for a total of about 23 pounds in 3-weeks. I have a scale here at home but I do not think it is real accurate. I think it weighs light, so I am not sure how much until I go in for my 2-week appointment on 3/13/06. My wedding ring fits again and my watch can twist around my wrist now. I had a couple ladies that I go to church with say they could tell a little in my face already. So, I am on my way.

I received a card from Spectrum Health from all the ladies that took care of me while I was in the hospital. They all personally signed it and I thought that was wonderful. How thoughtful and nice they were. That made my day.

It has been hard around food. I am not sure if I am hungry or emotionally hungry. Food smells so good and I have actually nibbled (tiny little tastes) on a couple of things without any problems. The protein shakes are so getting old that I cannot take it. I sucked on a pepperoni, I ate a teeny tiny piece of cheese, and I just hope I can start eating some REAL food soon. I am going nuts. It is a weird kind of feeling though, not hunger like I knew before, but not fullness either. I guess the real story will come when I do get to start eating real food. Oh well. I have to get going though – got a movie to watch. God Bless!

I started to eat soft foods like cottage cheese, yogurt, and creamy soups this week. I have felt so much better too. I have more energy, and today was the first day I actually felt normal. I am not experiencing hunger, but I am not feeling full either. I am afraid to eat too much. Today I had a total of 1 cup of cottage cheese (it took me all day and 3 meals to eat it), one Carnation Instant Breakfast, a sugar-free hot cocoa, 2 sugar-free popsicles, and 2.5 bottles of water. I will probably have another Carnation Breakfast later to get all my protein in. I had the energy to walk (at a very fast pace - sort of power walking) for 25 minutes, and walked around Sam's club this morning for an hour or two and did some house work. I did not sit down until 7:00p.m. I was up doing stuff. More like the me I remember that could never sit still. I love it. People are starting to notice the weight loss too and commenting. I have lost 29 pounds so far since the beginning and 18 since surgery. I go in on the 13th for my first follow-up and will officially be weighed then.

All in all, I am feeling more normal and more energetic each day. I am dreading going back to work, it has been so nice to be stress free and not have to worry about it. I dread my job; I wish I had a job I really looked forward to doing. But I am so grateful to have one; so many people don't right now so I feel very blessed.

I am getting ready to get in the hot tub to soak before bed. I will write soon.

God Bless,

Today is the 1-month anniversary of my surgery and I am down a total of 37 pounds. I feel better, my lower back does not hurt like it did before but my hips still hurt. They really hurt last night but that may be because I am pushing too hard. I am power walking and I need to take a break every now and then. I started doing sit ups too. I have graduated to REAL food. Chicken, eggs, soft meats, soft veggies - just about anything but I stay away from sugar all together and carbs as best I can. No breads or pasta. I did eat a little bit of ribs and the topping off a very small piece of pizza the other day. Yummy, those pepperonis tasted so good. I did get some protein powder though. I cannot eat that much and am too afraid of not getting my protein in so I had to. I do not want to lose my hair.

I did get something stuck the other day, not fun!!! Ouch, I got sick the rest of the night and could not keep even water down. It hurt too, right where your stomach should be. Eating has not really been a pleasant experience for me and hurts sometimes. I need to be very careful to chew and take my time. I called MMPC (the nutritionist) and she said that others have said the same thing, but I will still talk to the PA next week at my second follow-up appointment. I just have to be very careful. I can also swallow pills now. So my vitamins I break in half and swallow and my meds too. I started on Pre-natals too. I had noticed my skin looking a little rough and that seems to be helping a lot! I have always had nice skin and hope to keep it that way.

I am down 2 sizes and fit in the jeans I was wearing at the beginning of last summer. I went to Maurice’s and got a couple really cute (size L) shirts I should be able to wear by mid- late summer this year. Can't wait! This is great!

Well, gotta go, just wanted to keep you in the loop. Love ya and God Bless!

OK, a lot ha happened. I got something stuck a while back and I guess I ulcerated something down there. It hurt so badly for about 2 weeks and then finally last Sunday I couldn't take it any more. When I ate, it felt like I was swallowing tacks it hurt so bad and I would throw up, not because it wouldn't go down but because it hurt. My poor pouch was retaliating. Dr. Baker put me on 3 meds for ulcers and I feel great now and am able to eat with little or no pain. This is the first time since I started to eat regular foods. I guess all that throwing up the night it happened hurt/tore something and it just kept getting worse each time I would try to eat. REMEMBER to CHEW WELL!

I sat at a plateau for almost two weeks and cried at the doctor’s office. From my 3rd week - 5th week (after surgery), I lost NOTHING. I have been keeping a journal too and I have not eaten over 1000 calories a day. I average between 700 and 950 per day and that is pushing it. I walk 1-3 miles every day and I walk hard. So what the???? I cried when I went to MMPC to get weighed in and they said that was very normal. The body is healing and holds on to water and weight as a protection. Guaranteed I will lose they said and sure enough in the last week I have lost 4 more pounds. That makes a total of 41 pounds (total since the diet) in 8 weeks.

I started back to work this week (4/3/06) YUK!! Don't get me wrong, I have a great job I guess I am just bored. Anyway - people have commented on my weight loss and noticed (at church too). Some times I get all embarrassed, but for the most part I have felt pretty. It has been so long since I have felt pretty. It is nice.

Gotta go - lunch is over...God Bless!

I am down 51 pounds. I have been working out (walking at least 2-3 miles a day) every day and watching what I eat. It is weird - I will lose about 8 pounds and then I will sit there for about 1-2 weeks and then I will lose another 6 or so and sit there. I wish it would just come off steady instead of this. But hey, it is coming off and I will take it!

I ended up having an EGD (Esophagogastroduodenoscopy) done yesterday because I was still experiencing pain, not only when I ate, but also when I was not eating. It would get better for a couple days and I would feel good then Wham, I would feel worse than before. I found out I had a stricture, which was causing everything I ate to irritate that opening and it caused an ulcer. So I have an ulcer and a stricture. I was puzzled because I do not drink or smoke or take any meds I am not supposed to, but I knew there may be complications going in to all of this when I started. I am just grateful Dr. Baker was able to fix the problem by ballooning the opening and making it bigger. Today I feel like a new woman. I have NO PAIN. For the first time since surgery I can eat with no pain. How wonderful it is :-) I feel like a normal person, it is amazing. Thank you Jesus!!

Well gotta go, love you all and God Bless!

I am down a total of 53 pounds now. I feel great and am eating with no pain. I feel completely normal. My hips do not hurt near as bad as they were, I am capable of walking 5 miles a day and still have energy left over to get a few chores done around the house and when I get in bed at night, my hip does not hurt and keep me awake anymore. I am starting to fit in to my old clothes (size 16). I feel healthy, happy and pretty again :-) I still have about 60 more pounds to lose and have an aggressive goal of having it lost by Christmas. That gives me almost 7 more months to go. I can do it!

My Husband and I celebrated our 2nd year anniversary yesterday and it was so nice. We ate at a nice little Italian Restaurant called Carraba’s in Kalamazoo, MI. Wow, what excellent food. Of course I ended up bringing most of it home, but it is still good the second day... YUMMY.

Well, have to go, love ya...

Woo-hoo, I broke the 100’s. I am officially at 198 for a grand total of 57 pounds since this journey began on 2/7/06 (that includes the two week diet prior to surgery on 2/21/06). I am really starting to notice the transformation taking place. I actually have a waist, my legs are getting thinner and muscular again, my butt is way smaller, and my face looks younger and thinner. Funny, I work in a hospital and there are 1000’s of employees here. When I run in to someone I have not seen since the beginning of this journey – I get a kick out of the look on their faces. Some look surprised, some I don’t even think recognize me, others just stare. My clothes are way baggy and some people have mentioned I need to get some new ones. This was the best decision I have ever made. I feel great!!

Love ya and God Bless!

It went great at my 3 month follow-up appointment yesterday! I am down a total of 61 pounds. They were amazed at the weight loss so far. They said I was ahead of schedule. Extraordinary was the word they used. They say I am (at 3 months) where most patients 5-6 months out are. I think it is all the walking I do that really made the difference and speed weight loss. Plus I started a little bit of weight training for my arms. I should be close to my goal weight by the end of this year at this rate.

I did double check with the nutritionist because I seemed to be able to eat a lot and was wondering if that was normal. Come to find out that I was drinking with my meals (I know, big no no) and that was washing food down. I have stopped doing that and I find I can eat a few bites and be satisfied :-)

The weight loss will start to slow, but I can eat steak now and they gave me a list of all the fun foods I can eat. All in all, it went very well and I am ahead of the game. God Bless!! Oh, I am going to have a steak tonight for dinner :-) Woo-hooooo!

I am down 68 pounds and the weight loss is slowing a little. I got stuck on a plateau for 4 weeks and the scales just started to move again. Those plateaus really stink and are frustrating but I am now at 188 pounds. I just have about 53 more before I hit goal. I am hoping to be there by Christmas...pretty aggressive huh?

All in all I am well, doing great - no complications and 4 months out. Thank you Jesus! God bless you all :-)

OK, I am 7 months out and I have learned that this surgery is just a tool. We still have to work at it just like everyone else. It is NOT an easy fix and requires self discipline, exercise, commitment. I have really started to slow on the weight loss and so now I have made that commitment to go the extra mile it is going to take to get where I want to be. I have had no real issues, serious dumping, or problems (except that pesky stricture and ulcer in the beginning). I can eat just about anything within moderation. Kellogg's special K with Red Berries for some reason does not do well with me if I eat over a half a cup. If I stay under that, I am OK and it is filling for me too. I still eat a lot of protein - some good for me and (yes) some not so good (bacon, cheese, etc.). I have never been one for diet cheese, dressings, Mayo, etc. so I think my weight loss is not going as fast as I would like. Some days I feel like I can eat so much and then other days a bite here and there is enough.

People say they really see a difference and my nic name at work has become "slim". It cracks me up because I am still far from slim, lean, skinny, or small. But it is so nice to be noticed for an accomplishment. It makes me feel good :-)

I have updated my pics and will keep in touch to let you know how I am doing.

Thanks and God Bless :-)

May 30, 2007

Well, I am scheduled for a tuumy tuck and lipo on July 5th and I am so excited.  I will fianlly have this hanging skin and extra fat I can't get off removed.  I am kind of nervous but excited at the same time.  I have been looking at before/after photos of abdominoplasty and amd excited to have a nice flat stomach.  I wished I would have lost as much weight as I wanted - I still have about 30 to go.  Oh well, I will keep plugging away.  I will update after the tummy tuck with pics and all.  Thanks for reading and God Bless!!

About Me
Battle Creek, MI
Surgery Date
Dec 16, 2005
Member Since

Friends 3