August 16, 2007 - 5:44 a.m.

Sorry that it has taken so long for me to post after my surgery.

My actual roux en y surgery went well. My problem has been my other illnesses post surgery (e.g., type I diabetes, coronary artery disease, and rheumatoid arthritis.). The day after surgery I had chest pains and was put on nitroglycerin patch, which gave me a major headache, I also had a high heart rate and arythmias. The cardioligist checked me out to make sure that I had not had a heart attach (which I knew that I had not). I was released on Wednesday evening to come home. Thought I was o.k., on Thursday began getting sick. Called Dr. and got phengren suppositories. Continued to be sick the next day and by Friday afternoon, I had chest pains, racing heart, dry heaves, etc. Called the rescue squad and back to the hospital I went. Not from surgery but from ketoacidosis (extremely dangerous complication of diabetes Type I) and dehydration. The next entire week was totally not fun trying to bring my potassium back to normal levels and it kept falling. I was finally released from ICU the following Thursday evening with strict instructions for more blood tests and potassium pills. Turns out that getting your potassium too high is as dangerous or more dangerous than too low.

It has taken me this time to adjust my diabetes to these changes and to keep myself from going back to the hospital. I am coming back thanks to everyone's prayers. I will begin to post regualarly again now.

I do want to give major kudos to the nurses and staff at Pitt Memorial Hospital! They are the best I have ever had! Also, my surgeon, Dr. Wade Naziri is awesome!! He not only does great work but has a wonderful bedside manner and truly cares for his patients! With my case, he took on a challenge due to my other illnesses and he is definately up for it, which makes me feel much better!

Good news thus far - my blood sugar levels are the best they have ever been with the exception of the ketoacidosis episode. My insulin use per day has been cut in half and I have lost 24 lbs total.

Thank you all for your thoughts, prayers, and caring enough to communicate with me. I will be posting regularly now (as long as I can stay out of the hospital).

July 23, 2007 - 1:40 a.m.

I have stayed busy today with my list of last minute things to do. I will be leaving for the hospital at 4:00 a.m. We have a 1 hour and 15 min drive to get there. I decided it is probably best that I don't sleep until my surgery. I'm sure that I will be getting plenty of sleep later today.

I haven't been able to see my children today; my son (age 21) has worked all day and is staying in Greenville tonight, with his girlfriend, so he can see me at the hospital before surgery and my daughter (age 17) is in Chatanooga, TN on a mission trip with our church youth group (working with World Changers). She will be roofing and hanging gutters this week. Please pray for her safe return. They both called me Sunday night before bedtime, which was nice! I love them so much and could not be more proud of them!

I guess I am a little anxious about my surgery. Not afraid, because I know that God will be with me and the surgery should improve my health so much. I look forward to taking fewer prescriptions each day and improving the condition of my heart and diabetes.

Please keep me and my family in your prayers today! I look forward to talking to you again, after my surgery! I will post as soon as I am able to.

God Bless Each of You!

About Me
Four Oaks, NC
Surgery Date
Jul 19, 2007
Member Since

Friends 6