I am a 27 year old speech therapist in Spartanburg. I am married to my darling husband, John and I have one dog, Drake. We have no children although we have been trying very hard to conceive!! I am currently looking into WLS and maybe that will help me conceive!

My hobbies include scrapbooking, hanging out with family and friends, meeting new people, working with children, reading, and any type of crafts....



I just got back from the seminar on WLS with Dr. Bour in Greenville, SC. He was great!!! I feel so comfortable with him. My husband wasn't able to go but my best friend went with me and she was so impressed. I go Tuesday to start the process. My insurance requires 3 months prep so it will probably be in the fall before the actually surgery!!! But, at least I took the first big step!!



I went today for my psych eval!!! It was fun!! LOL!! Actually it wasn't that bad. Just lots of true false questions. I laughed at most of the questions...I hope that is a good sign...:) I filled out the papers, talked with Lacy and made my upcoming appointments. Since my insurance is requires a 3 month prep routine I had to get all that squared away. I have my appointment with the Psychologist and nutritionist on July 13 and Dr. Bour on Aug 1. Lacy said that the packet would be submitted to the insurance after the visit on August 1. I could be having surgery as soon as September!! WHOOO HOOO!! I was thinking it was going to be more like November or December. It is a little scary but exciting.


Well...today has been a rough day. My husband is out of town fishing and I hate that. I love to have time to myself but I dont' sleep well at night without him. I miss him. Also, I am really depressed about my size!! I enjoyed the heck out of some food this weekend!!! I am enjoying too many last suppers and my surgery is months away!! I gotta get control!!! I don't know what has gotten into me. If I continue to eat like this I will be 20 lbs bigger by surgery!!! :( On a better note, I attended my first support session tonight at Dr. Bour's office. It was with Ed the chef. He is really interesting. I look forward to the next one already. What is great is meeting people that are just like me. That is so nice to have people that understand.


I attended a pre-surgery support group with Chef Ed. It was very informative. I stayed after for the post surgery support group to meet the ladies that I have been chatting with on here. They were wonderful!! They were so funny and friendly. I don't think I have ever met such wonderful ladies. I felt like I have known them forever. God is amazing how he places people in our lives when we need them the most. It is truly incredible.


I attend my psychological evaluation results meeting today. Dr. Russell said that I can be obsessive about somethings...DUH!! He also said that I scored low on the critical (crazy) scales thus I am a NORMAL person!!! I thought that was funny!!
I also met with Michelle (the Nutritionist). She was very informative and I enjoyed talking with her.
I am so ready for the surgery. It feels like I am having to wait forever!!!


I had my consult today with the surgeon. It went ok. I expected it to be different. I am not really sure how I expected it to be different. I left there feeling a little let down but I don't really know why. Maybe it is because Dr. Bour isn't extermely friendly. He did try to make a few jokes which eased the tension a little bit. My husband went with me. He didn't really say anything about the visit. He was just in a hurry to get back home so that we could take the boat out. Lacy said that my insurance packet should go out today or tomorrow. Now, it is in Aetna's hands!!! I pray for a quick approval!


Well a minor set back.... Lacy did not count correctly and it seems like my 3 months of pre op stuff isn't over until 9/8/06 so my packet cannot go out until then. I wondered about the dates when we set them up but I thought "well, she does this all the time, so who am I to question her?" It was a little disappointing since I wanted to get this out of the way and on with my life on the "losing side." Also, DH and I are going to Nashville to an USC football game in October and I wanted to be healed by then. So who knows? Anyway, keep on keeping on for now!


I'M APPROVED!!! AETNA IS STINKING AWESOME!!!!! THEY APPROVED ME IN A MATTER OF HOURS ONCE ALL THE PAPERWORK WAS PROCESSED!! THEY EVEN CALLED TO TELL ME ABOUT THE APPROVAL!! My surgery is scheduled for October 3, 2006 which is my hubby's birthday. But, what a great birthday gift....a healthier wife. Now time is really flying by!! WHEW!!!



I had my EGD today. It went ok. I don't remember much about it other than asking the nurse for a bag of whatever drugs she gave me so that I could take it home with me. LOL!!! Surgery is getting closer and closer. I start Optifast tomorrow. I'm having a hard time taking it seriously since I know my surgery is only 2 weeks away. Oh well. We will have to see how it works out.



I started Optifast today. It started out Ok but as the day progressed it got harder and harder. I got really depressed when I began to think about how I am going to make it through the first month after surgery when I can barely make it through one stinking day of optifast without being depressed. I talked with my friend and she assured me that they optifast was the hardest part. We will have to see. I have to make this work for me! I have to get through this!!!


Well, I can't believe just 3 more days until my surgery!! Wow, time did just fly by. We closed on our new house yesterday and started to move things in. It really sucks that I can't be at home today to help my husband with the move. But, I had to work and save all my sick days for when I have surgery! I'll help him tonight and the weekend. I haven't decided yet if moving in a house and having surgery all in the same week is a good thing. It has been really stressful but at least having 2 things to stress about has kept me from completely stressing over the surgery!! LOL!! I attended my pre-op meeting yesterday with Dr. Bour. He told us what to expect before and after surgery. I am not worried at all about the surgery. I am the most worried about life after surgery...particularly the first month afterwards. I know I just have to get through this. I kept reminding myself that this surgery IS medically necessary and that it must happen in order for me to have a better life. It must happen the same way that my gallbladder had to be removed to ensure a healthy and happy life. I will keep reminding myself of this.


Well, tomorrow is the BIG DAY when I enter the land of the losers!! I am pretty unemotional right now. We got everything moved out of our old house into the new house. However, we aren't anywhere near settled. But, it took a load off of me just having things moved. We had sewage problem, but that is just reality when you purchase new construction! I am on clear liquids today. It is only 7:30 and my tummy isn't really happy with my new diet!! I'm gonna drink a protein drink here in a minute so that will calm it down for a little bit! I came to work today so that I wouldn't think about eating or worry about surgery.


Well, I am home from the hospital. I tell you all about it now -
I arrived at Hillcrest Hospital at 8:30am and my surgery was scheduled at 10:20. Dr. Bour got tied up in his first case so it wasn't until around 11:00am before my surgery started. I was in a room around 2:00pm. I was up and walking around 5:30pm. The only pain that I could really explain was in my abdominal area around the place of the drain site. I enjoyed the pain medicine and slept a lot the first day. The second day, I was still on the pain meds and I walked more. I walked the halls like 5 times. I started to have more pain around my drain site and it was hard to get up out of the bed. My friends from support group came to see me on Wednesday night which was great. My mom stayed with me the entire time since my hubby had to work some of the time that I was in the hospital. Thursday, Dr. Bour came in at 6:30am and said I could go home if I felt like it after 2:00pm. That was the longest hours I have ever waited. I was off all pain meds so I didn't feel great at all and I was stir crazy. I went home at 2:00pm and felt a little better when I got home. I got my pain meds around bed time and slept like a baby. I felt much better on Friday but I still am easy to tire, still having my period, and having some constipation.


Learning fast about my new life - DO NOT TRUST A FART!!! EWWWW!!! I haven't been able to poop at all so who knew I had one waiting in the wings.... I thought I could just pass a little gas like I have been doing since surgery and opps....out came a surprise!!! EWWWWW!!!! I was warned about it but never thought it would happen to me. LOL!!!! The pain is a good bit better today. Still some mild soreness at the drain site and some mild bloating. Still got the aunt flo visiting - I hoping she will leave soon!!! I have already lost 8 lbs since surgery and 15 since starting optifast so looks like I am on the road to being a loser for sure. Still struggling big time with head hunger!! I want something greasy, fatty, sweet, crunchy, etc. However, I know if I do, I'll get so stinking sick!! I am gonna just try to wait it out. Sent the hubby out for broth, maybe that will help with head hunger and salt cravings. I am getting none of my protein in but I am getting almost all of my fliuds. So that is fine. I'll update later.


I can't believe I waited this long to update!! I will be 4 weeks post op tomorrow. I have lost a total of 25 lbs since surgery and a total weight loss of 32 lbs since the pre-op diet. I am feeling soooo much better. I went back to work after 2 weeks and the transition was pretty easy. Everyone is so curious about my weight loss and I get asked all the time how things are going. Everyone is so surprise at how well I am doing. I go back to Dr. Bour next Thursday for my 1 month visit. I am eating almost anything and tolerating it really well!


I had my one month visit with Dr. Bour today. He was really happy with my weight loss. I had lost 24% of my excess weight. He wants me to lose another 18 lbs by January so that I will be at 40%. I haven't lost but 1lb since my last post. Being on a stall really sucks!!! Oh well.


Just thought I would update. I weighed on Monday and I weighed 200.2 lbs. I have lost 35 lbs since surgery and 42 since optifast. I am wearing size 18-20. I have lost 10 lbs in the last 3 weeks so I expecting a stall soon. I hope not but I have to be realistic. I have lost 32% of my excess body weight. I have to be down 40% by January. That is only 10 lbs so I should be able to do that. I feel good. Had 2 episodes of vomiting all because I didn't chew well enough. I'm having to be really careful not to eat too much. Sometimes I don't fill up. Gotta get back to measuring.



I am finally in "One" derland!! I weighed tonight at Dr. Bour's and I weighed 197!! I wasn't expecting to have lost more than a couple of ounces so it was a nice surprise! Everything is going well.



Tomorrow is my birthday. I'll be 28. I weight at Dr. Bour's office on 12/18/2006 and weighed in at 192.8. I think I have lost more since then. I will weigh officially on 1/4/2007 when I go back to Dr. Bour for my 3 month visit. I hope that I have made it to the 40% mark. I should be there. I have not been exercising like I should be. It's so easy to make excuses not to do it! Gotta get back there though!!! I know how important it is!!! I made it through Christmas ok and it wasn't bad. Not near as hard as Thanksgiving. Just have to be really careful about the grazing. It's so easy to do.


Happy New Year! I went yesterday for my 3 month appointment with Dr. Bour. He was very pleased with me progress. I have lost 43% of my excess weight which is ahead of his goal for this time at 40%. He informed me again of how large my liver was at the time of my surgery. He assured me that it was probably 1/3 of the size it was at the time of surgery. I'm glad I decided to have the surgery before I did some more permanent damage to my liver. He wants me to be at a 60% loss of excess weight by my 6 month appointment at the beginning of April. I feel like I can make it to that. I just struggle daily with patience. I wanted this weight off of me years ago and it is hard to see it coming off slowly. However, I not only will lose weight, I will gain patience!!


Well, I had a big scare last week. I actually gained 1.4 lbs in 4 days. Is was back up to 189.4 I freaked out. I just knew that I had reached a stopping point in my loss and I was going to start gaining. However, this week I was back down to 185.8. That puts my total loss at 57lbs. I'll take it!! I just really need to get into the gym!! I have been sooooo slack about that!!! There is always an excuse!!


I can't believe I have taken this long to update on here.  I went for my 6 month visit today.  I have lost 68% of my excess weight.  The doctor said that I am ahead of the schedule.  I have lost a total of 82 lbs 75 since surgery!!  I'm now wearing a size 14 and some 12's.  My blood work was wonderful!!!  This has been the best decision of my life. 


Ok, I must get better about posting.  I am over 8 months post op now and my weight loss has slooooowwwwweeeeddd down!!!  Ok, it has all but stopped.  I bounce around between 152-154lbs. Still wearing 12's and 14's due to the excess skin around my middle.  I have had some struggles with my self esteem with the excess skin but I think these issues go farther back into my life as a fat girl.  I'm just ready to see the 140's. I have been stuck for over a month.  I have started working out so I am hoping the scales start moving again.


Well, it is hard to believe that I am fast approaching 1 year since my surgey.  I am still stalling and bouncing around between 154-152.  I go back to Dr. Bour on Thursday for my 10 month appointment.  I sure hope he doesn't fuss about my lack of progress.  I think I may be stalling for good.  It may be time to think about plastics. 


Well, I survived my appointment with Dr. Bour.  I was actually down to 148 on the day of my appointment and had lost 79% of my excess weight.  Dr. Bour was pleased.  However, I must have been severely dehydrated because I  am bouncing between 151-153.  It kinda sucks.  I am a true size 12.  I go next week to see Dr. Suber  about plastics.  I think that he thinks he can get rid of my skin by liposuction.  We will have to see.  I'm getting worried about gaining weight because I can eat soooooo much more than I could 11 months ago!!!  It is a little scary.  Oh well....guess life will always be about diet and exercise.  Something everyone has to do.  Welcome to the world of the slightly overweight.  Always struggling to lose that extra 10-20 lbs.  I used to think those people were crazy because I could lose 10 lbs in one week of really sticking to weight watchers.  Now, I haven't been able to lose but 3-4 lbs in months!!!!  Oh well, I'm so glad I had the surgery.

About Me
moore, SC
Surgery Date
May 14, 2006
Member Since

Friends 35