3rd day Post-op July 3, 2008

Jul 10, 2008

Took hotel shuttle to the airport.  Our flight was over booked and they needed 5 people to take the next flight.  NO WAY I was going to.  Got back to Nashville and went directly to our place on Kentucky Lake for the 4th of July weekend. All went well.

1 week post-op  July 7, 2008

Down 5.4 lbs since surgery.  Liquid diet is going ok.  Getting boring.  I'm having diarrhea from all the liquids but have now started putting benifiber in drinks.

My Surgery Story

Jul 10, 2008

1 day before surgery: June 29, 2008

Arrived in San Antonio  about 11:30 am.  My daughter was with me, so she proceeded to baggage claim and I called the La Quinta shuttle.  We were told to go outside to shuttle pickup and were promptly picked up by the shuttle and were taken to the La Quinta where Rosey was waiting for us.  We exchanged greetings, loaded up in the "fat van" and began our journey.  It is a 2 1/2 to 3 hour drive to Eagle Pass.  The roads are long and straight (very dull), but the conversation with Rosey was great.  We arrived in Eagle Pass. Rosey checked us in at the Holiday Inn Express and said she would pick us up at 8:15 the next morning.  We settled into our room and called Tobie aka texasdragonlady - Super nice lady.  She only lives a mile or less away and took us to Walmart for a few last minute items.  Later we were planning on going across into Mexico for dinner, but the shuttle doesn't run on Sunday.  We found a little Chiense place down the street and ate there. It was ok but not great.  Went back to Hotel, worked out in the weight room, showered and then got in bed. Took 2 x-strength gas-x(tip someone had given me). Didn't sleep well.  Got up at 3 and read a book.

June 30, 2008  - Surgery day

Rosey was at the hotel at 8:15.  We loaded up and crossed over.  Arrived at the hospital at about 8:45 or so.  Dr. Alvarez met us outside his office and carried our luggage in.  I was to go first so while Amy (my sleeve sister) talked with Dr. A, Pricilla walked me over to the hospital for lab and x-ray.  Walking in the hospital is like walking back in time.  Much like hospitals looked here 30 years ago.  In the x-ray department they still type orders up with a typewritter.  They took 2 chest x-ray's, then we were off to the lab where 2 vials of blood were drawn.  After this it was back to Dr. A's office.  His office is very nice and modern.  We sat down and exchanged paper work, check, etc. I met Dr. Gabriel  was weighted and everything was explained, surgery and so on.  Dr. A even looked my house up on google maps.  I was very as ease with him.  Up to the room I went. I was in room 29, very nice.  Nurses came in toook vitals and started IV.  It wasn't long before Pricilla came in and said she was going to give me something to just take the edge off. I went out like a light.  Next thing I know I'm reaching up to take a mask off my face and I said "is it over".  It was and I was back in my room.  I had to reach dowm and feel my bandages to believe it.  I had no real pain just pressure and dull aching in my back and under my breastbone.  I put the heating pad on and they gave me anti-nausea, pain and acid blocker meds every 6 hours.  I slept off and on the rest of the day.

July 1, 2008  1st day post-op

I began to get up and walk the halls. I tried to make 2 laps every hour or so.  I think this is one reason I did so well.  In the afternoon my IV became infiltrated and was taken out.  Then the all important leak test.  Down to Dr. A's office for a florascope type machine.  I stood with my back to it and then drank the pink liquid (I didn't think it tasted too bad).  I could see it going down and then emptying out of the stomach into the small intestine.  NO LEAKS!  Yeah, I can finally get ice chips.  They tasted so good.  I got to take a shower and it felt great. I continued to walk even at 2:00 am.  I did sleep about 4 hours at one time.

July2, 2008  2nd day post-op

Dr. A came in about 7:00am and he and Dr. Gab. went over discharge instruction and box of meds.  They give you this approx. 8" square plastic box with your name on it with pain meds, acid blockers, antibiotics, etc.  It also has your "childs meal" card.  They gave us a copy of our surgery report.  Then ask if we had any question, gave us hugs and we were discharged to Rosey.
Went back down to the "fat van", loaded up and were back on our way across the boarder.  Customs was a breeze.  Drove 3 hours back to San Antonio.  We did stop on the way to stretch and rest stop.  Rosey checked us into the La Quinta hugged us and was out the door with her next patients.   After resting a bit daughter and I walked to Target.  It is located directly behind the hotel about a ten minute walk. Purchased soup at hand and jello to eat. There is also a Walmart there.  Went back to the hotel and rested a couple of hours then took a taxi downtown to the Riverwalk.  We took the boat ride and daughter ate dinner.  Walked around a bit more and then caught a taxi back to the hotel.  Taxi cost approx. $23 each way.  I was tired and went to bed. Woke up at 2:00 am and couldn't go back to sleep, so I went to the lobby with my soup and a book.

About Me
newbern, TN
Surgery Date
May 12, 2008
Member Since

Friends 13

Latest Blog 2
3rd day Post-op July 3, 2008
My Surgery Story