May 17, 2009

I had my surgery on Wednesday, started at 11, got to rocovery about 3 hours later, and sat in recovery in a broken bed ( wouldnt' go up or down) until 9:30 PM - that sucked, especially for my husband who was patiently sitting there waiting for me to get put in my room all day. He was worried, bored, and wanted to make sure I was ok. There was a crazy man in the recovery bed next to me, trying to get up out of his bed just after havign surgery to fix his fractured pelvis, and he was SO LOUD. As I went in and out of sleepy-land.

I was pretty medicated the first night post op in the hospital, so I was thinking that it wasn't going to be so bad - boy, was I wrong - I woke up in a lot of pain, sore as hell, and I was barely able to get up. I tried to walk the hallway, and made the smallest loop ever, with a walker. I did it again that evening, but it wasn't as easy as I thought it was going to be. I totally could not stand upright.  My nurses took a long time to respond to any calls, which was frustrating, but I made it through to Friday which was going home day.  

My first night at home was ROUGH. I was sore as hell, nauseous, the drive home ( an hour of bumpy roads - yikes) was hell, but Josh was trying to make it as easy on me as possible.  It pretty much sucked, then the gas came, whcih increased my pain and nausea because I just couldn't burp. IT was definitely the worst point of this whole experience. I spent nearly the entire evening going back and forth to the toilet to try to expell gas, and the up and down hurt. My binder was itchy, and I was generally not happy. The only sleep Josh and I got was outr of sheer exhaustion for about 20 minutes here and there. 

We finally had about a 2 hour break on Saturday, the next day, becasue we were both so tired from the night before.  I awoke to the smell of Josh cooking himself some breakfast in theI wondered to myself, "Is it ever going to get better?"   morning. OMG - the smell of other people's food was for sure not something I had considered pre-surgery.  Thought I was going to die, and started up again with the dry-heaves. I was soo nauseous...and gassy. So, pretty much every time I smelled food and woke from any naps, I was in semi-puke mode. Not fun.  I had several posts and calls from friends and family, offering support and telling me how much they cared and what a great thing I was doing for myself and our family - that's what kept me going, and it meant more to me for them to take a few minutes here and there to email or txt or facebook me than they will EVER know.

My dad came into town later that day  2 weeks early and surprised me by bringing by our son Jack, and it totally lifted my spirits, and I can honestly say that was a true turning point in my recovery. I was still nauseous, but much less so ( only had one dry-heave), and even managed to sleep through most of the night.  All day today, though, the smell of food was killing me. Around 8PM, the nausea has pretty much stopped. I have forced most of the gas out of my body, so that helps too.  Now, I'm gettign better by the minute. Whew!!!

Get this craziness - I weighed myself just for shits & giggles around 8, and I've lost 6.5 pounds!  I know it's most likely water weight, but it could also be that I've gone into Ketosis - I'm hoping that's the case. We'll see!


About Me
Dunedin, FL
Surgery Date
May 31, 2008
Member Since

Friends 21

Latest Blog 7