Can Women still have babies after RNY

danna36610
on 5/26/14 1:51 am - semmes, AL

Have any females had any kids after RNY, and were their any complications?

poet_kelly
on 5/26/14 2:49 am - OH

Of course women can still have babies after RNY.  The surgery doesn't do anything to affect the reproductive system.  Many women have had kids after RNY, some with complications and some without.  Most complications would not be related to RNY, though, unless they aren't taking their vitamins and have nutritional issues.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

danna36610
on 5/26/14 3:26 am - semmes, AL

What about over eating?

Kate -True Brit
on 5/26/14 3:34 am - UK

You would have to get special instructions from your nutritionist but there is no reason at all why you shouldn't have children after RNY, 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

MsBatt
on 5/26/14 4:02 am

Given your BMI, you really should be looking into the Duodenal Switch rather than the RNY. The DS has the best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats for patients of any size, but especially so for those of us with a BMI greater than 50.

danna36610
on 5/26/14 4:16 am - semmes, AL

Thanks Ms Batts, I am researching that right now...

MsBatt
on 5/26/14 3:01 pm

A lot of women become more fertile after WLS. It's important to use two forms of birth control for the first 18-24 months after surgery, until your weight stabilizes.

Bette B.
on 5/26/14 3:35 am

Short answer? Of course. They do it all the time. But you have to really, REALLY stay on top of nutrition! 

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

dragonlove
on 5/26/14 1:02 pm
RNY on 11/20/13

Most surgeons request/require that you agree not to get pregnant within the first year or so.  While your body is in the weight loss stage, there is a concern that getting enough nutrition to keep both you and the baby healthy would be an issue.  

Even without that concern, I wouldn't want to get pregnant until I reached my goal / stabilized at my new weight because I would want to get the best loss possible.  

However, with that said, I have read on here where women have gotten pregnant within a few months of surgery - it will just take careful watch of your nutrition.

Pam (RNY: 11/20/2013)

Most Active