I can't believe how costly reconstructive surgery is after extreme weight loss!

(deactivated member)
on 5/28/14 12:21 am

I just had a baby so money is pretty tight right now and I find it really disappointing to not be able to afford getting my excess skin removed. I lost 115 pounds but I look in the mirror and I still see that same unhappy overweight girl hanging on me for dear life. It's also hard doing anything when I feel like my body is a wave pool and my skin ripples with every move I make. Very upsetting to me that the only thing insurance will cover is just my stomach. I'm only 21 years old and my whole body sags as if I'm triple my age! I have to wear really tight clothes that hurt me and make it difficult to breathe just to try and look somewhat normal. I feel very insecure and even during sex I will try to wear as many clothes as I can because of how uncomfortable I am. To be honest, it depresses me and I wish something could be done :'( 

Nikke2003
on 5/28/14 1:47 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

I truly can understand where you are coming from.... I hate to be one of "those people" - but look on the bright side, your insurance will pay for work on your stomach. My insurance will pay for absolutely nothing (not that I think they should). You have a lot of years ahead of you that you can save in order to do more... until then, consider yourself lucky - I know it's hard. I too look in the mirror and get depressed by what I see... I'm 28 and look like I have the body of an 88 year old! It's tough... but it's important to focus on the positive as well as specific actions that will help you put yourself in a situation where you want to be!

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

Eggface
on 5/28/14 3:04 am - Sunny Southern, CA

If it's possible to self pay for another procedure at the same time you have your panni done I'd try and swing it... you generally get no additional hospital charges, anesthesia or medications and may be able to reduce the surgeon's fees.

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 5/28/14 3:57 am

My insurance would pay nothing, so I started saving before the weight was all off.

I did still have some plastics, but what I discovered is that things adjusted a bit, and the skin wasn't as bad after a few years. It will NOT go back to normal, but it can improve a tiny bit.

Exercising helps too, and not that it can repair damaged skin, but the skin looks better draped over toned muscles, rather than bones.

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/28/14 9:03 am

You are 21... you have a lot of time to save for it... get another - second job, and think of ways you can save... job.

I.e.  I make my own coffee, make brown bad lunches, and do my own nails.  I  buy a lot of clothes from thrift stores and ebay. There are a lot of websites that talks about way to save money. Also - any celebration - instead of gifts or flowers - ask for small donation for reconstructive surgery funds. It can be done.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

kathkeb
on 5/28/14 1:38 pm

Something CAN be done .... You can save for procedures, possible pay a little extra from what your insurance will cover and get a full tummy tuck.

You are young and have a long life ahead ..... With a new baby to focus on.

Save what you can, when you can and over time it will add up.

I deferred getting a new car so I could pay for my procedures.

My Realize Band and then 2 reconstructive surgeries totaled about 27,000.00 ...... So, I drive an 11 year old car, but have a body I love.

Hang in there.

Kath

(deactivated member)
on 5/28/14 2:26 pm
with

You are incredibly lucky to have your surgery and stomach plastic surgery covered! Many people don't even have that.  Take it one step at a time. Think how much better you'll feel with that stomach skin gone. Then think of the rest of your body as a long term project. Plenty of time to do a bit here a bit there at your age. The idea of combining surgeries to reduce cost is a good one too. Maybe you could finance it and try to cut some corners. Good luck,

Gwen M.
on 5/28/14 11:22 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Another thing you can do in the meantime is to start seeing a therapist to help you deal with the body you have now from a healthy place. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Eno
on 5/28/14 11:37 pm - ocala, FL

I just seen your pictures you are absolutely gorgeous I'm 22 years old hopefully having surgery next month and I feel the same way you do right now about myself but put the plastic surgery as a goal for example I wanted a new car me and my  fiance didn't have the money so every paycheck I would put back a car payment even though I didn't have the car now 2 years later I have a brand new car that I paid off.. money is tight for us i have a 3 year old but in the end it worked out keep ur head up u have done a amazing job 

White Dove
on 5/28/14 11:47 pm - Warren, OH

When you want something, you must take the steps to achieve it.  Look into plastic surgeons and set up your consultation.  Your weight loss surgeon's office is a good place to get recommendations.

Most surgeons charge a fee for a consultation.  I paid $50, but that was six years ago.  During your consultation you will be examined, usually pictures will be taken, and you will be given an estimate of what procedures you will need and what it will cost.

Once you know how much it will cost, then you can get creative on getting the money to make your dream come true. 

When you start climbing a mountain, it seems impossible, but each step gets you closer to the top.  Once you are actively working on achieving a goal, you will be amazed at how your mind will find ways to make it happen.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active