7 YEAR SURGIVERSARY!

Debbie P.
on 5/15/13 12:32 am - Kettering, OH

WOW.  Just now looked at the calendar and realized it has been 7 years and 101 pounds ago that I had my DS.  Thought I would stop here and update a little.

I'm doing well.  I can still lose when I get back to basics.  I never got to goal due to my love of carbs. 

Just a recap of my weight loss journey (a quick one!).  Started out at 281 pounds, 5'2".  I needed to lose 140 lbs. to get to my personal goal.  I lost 60 lbs. fairly quickly and then it came to a screeching halt (added carbs back in WAY too soon).  I stayed  at 220 pounds for probably 4 years.  Then I just dropped 20 pounds without really trying.  Not sure why.  I think it was health related because my calcium, Vit. D, iron were in toilet.  I had ZERO energy -- even to eat.  So I hovered around 200 pounds, which was terribly depressing to me.

I decided to get back to basics 2 years ago and reduced carb intake.  I lost another 20 pounds, which puts me where I am today -- 40 pounds from goal and still **obese** but at least not diabetic anymore and cholesterol is great. 

Would I like to lose more?  YES.  Am I willing to put in the work to make that happen -- still wavering on that one.  I'm terrible at **dieting** (hence my weight getting so out of control in the first place), so this year, I have decided to be more active.  Actually went on a bike ride yesterday (first time in 10 years).  I'm going to really try to increase physical activity this summer and just see what happens. 

I still struggle with vitamin levels.  Same ones, all the time.  Have to get iron infusions about every year or so.  I have no *bathroom* issues whatsoever.  About the only thing that gives me major *gas* is milkshakes and some ice creams.  I'm to the point of almost being constipated and only *go* about every other day.

One thing I ran into that I hadn't thought about when having this surgery.  I lost my health insurance.  Paying for labs was a HUGE struggle and paying for infusions -- impossible.  So this is something people need to think long and hard about.

Having a HUGE life change this Fall.  I'm getting married.  Yep.  We are getting married on the beach in FL and then heading off on a cruise for our honeymoon.  I won't lie -- I'm a LOT nervous about this and about being intimate again with a man.  Heck, just sleeping in the same bed scares me because if I'm gonna get gas -- it will be at night time and I (evidently) let loose at times (haha).  Sorry if TMI.  So that will be a huge adjustment for me.  My fiancee and I have been together for nearly 2 years now though and he knows all the ins and outs of my surgery.  It won't be a shock to him -- but would likely be a huge embarassment to me.  Will have to learn to deal, I guess.

Debbie ~

Irishnurse
on 5/15/13 12:50 am
DS on 04/17/13

YOu can do this! You have the tool. Exercise will change you. Congrats on your engagement!!! 

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...

Debbie P.
on 5/15/13 1:02 am - Kettering, OH

Thank you!  I have heard that exercise will change things for me.  I'm willing to give it a try.  Sad I didn't do it sooner -- but that's just me.  Baby steps.  :)

And thank you!  I never, in my wildest dreams, thought I would meet such a wonderful, loving man.  He adores me and actually SHOWS it in everything he does.  I've never felt so loved, respected and adored (sorry, if redundant!).

Debbie ~

Member Services
on 5/16/13 12:16 pm - Irvine, CA

Congratulations on all the wonderful things happening for you.  Thank you for sharing your story with all of us.

calendargirl
on 5/15/13 4:53 am - Land of Oz, KS
DS on 04/20/12

Hey Debbie,

Congratulations... on all fronts!

Thanks for coming back and letting us know how you're doing.  It's nice to get a take on what "7 years out" looks like.

C-Girl

Starting Stats: Ht: 5' 0" HW: 242 ~ SW: 229.9 ~ CW: 117 ~ Goal: 124.9 ("normal" BMI)
% EWL @ 03 months: 36%             % EWL
 @ 09 months: 80%
% EWL @ 06 months: 63%             % EWL @ 12 months + 2 weeks: 100%

Sunshine16
on 5/15/13 5:19 am

Hi Debbie,

Congrats, and quick question, how long did it take you to lose the 20 pounds when you cut back on the carbs, and how extreme did you cut back on the carbs?  I need to lose about 14 - 16 pounds myself.

SW / CW / GW 292 / 188 / 174 - Height 5'7, Size 10

Debbie P.
on 5/15/13 5:34 am - Kettering, OH

I'm a carb crazy woman, so *cutting* way back for me is likely toooo many carbs for many on here.  I cut back to 100 grams of carbs a day (tried 50, but would end up going nuts and shoveling in carbs after a few days!).  It didn't take long -- about 6-8 weeks.

Hope that helps and you get that last 14-16 lbs. off!  Good luck!

Debbie ~

Sunshine16
on 5/15/13 9:57 am

Thank you Debbie, that was very helpful and motivating.  Just like before my weight loss, every week I try to get back and push those carbs away, its like every week I'm on a new diet still.

SW / CW / GW 292 / 188 / 174 - Height 5'7, Size 10

MajorMom
on 5/15/13 7:39 am - VA

Happy surgiversary and congratulations!!  

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

nightowl
on 5/16/13 5:52 pm, edited 5/16/13 5:53 pm - Topeka, KS

Thank you for posting the update!  Congrats on the surgiversary and upcoming marriage!

Edited for spelling.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 979 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1170 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 443 views