Dose this happen to anyone exercising and breathing with heavey chest?

pebtash
on 5/28/14 8:09 am
VSG on 11/25/14

Hi everyone.

I just went to my weight management program assessment and I was asked about any pain in my chest or burning. My answer was since I've gained all my weight back if I over do things ( like walking to fast and I get out of breath) then my chest feels heavy and sometimes I will get some burning in my throat until I sit and rest for a min.    Any way my question is does this happen to any one else?

She said I might have to have some test to make sure I can exercise. This worried her some. I thought this was normal. I am a little worried because I was told by my NP that if I can't exercise I can't have the surgery. 

I also thought that this was my 6 month medically supervised diet and was told no. This program is for 3 months only. So I am calling my PCP in the morning and making a appointment for that.

This weight management thing I hope my insurance will cover the lady told me if they don't then I wouldn't be able to afford it.

But really just wanted to know if I was alone with this or if this happens to any one else.

Mary Gee
on 5/28/14 9:00 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

I told them I had shortness of breath with anything beyond walking down a hallway, and even then if it was a long hallway.

Maybe they'll require a cardio clearance.  I have congestive heart failure and got clearance after undergoing some type of stress test (not the treadmill type because I have mobility problems - I had to have some type of injection and ultra-sound).  

With regard to exercise, maybe you can do "chair exercises" -- there are loads of videos of same on You Tube.  I can do those, nothing more at this point.  You sit in a chair and do stretches and leg lifts, etc.  The "Exercise Lady" from our program said that was fine.

With regard to program fees, I went to the Patient Finances office - they reviewed my income and ended up waiving my $300 program fee, and also my $600 in-patient insurance co-pay. (Thank goodness!)  Apparently, I qualified for some type of "assistance" (never qualified for any assistance before!)  As a matter of fact, I'm going to check with them tomorrow to see if this "assistance" will cover my office visits co-pays too.

So, maybe you'll have a few extra steps, but what else is new?  I'm sure things will work out fine!  

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

pebtash
on 5/28/14 9:21 am
VSG on 11/25/14

Hi Mary,

I kind of thought they would do some sort of stress test. I had one before but many years ago and they had to do the injection since I couldn't walk much. I don't mind that. I really wanted to know if any one ever had heavy chest and some burning while in a state of heavy breathing. Just until they caught their breath.

I am going to call my PCP tomorrow morning to get an appointment to start my 6 month weight loss plan or I'll never get this done. I wish I knew this program I went to tonight wasn't it. Every time I called them I asked if this is the 6 month supervised program I have to do and every time I was told yes.

I know I can do chair exercises and I bought a table cycle for my arms. I guess I am just worried that they will find some reason to stop this surgery. My husband always tells me I worry to much and that might be all this is and more than likely that is all it is. ( I hope).

I had already talked with my PCP and she told me that she would do it if the program tonight wasn't it. She is really good about getting people in unless she is on vacation. I'm hoping to start this Friday or Monday. 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/29/14 3:04 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I get burning in my throat when I exercise, especially when I'm working hard on my bike and really getting my heart rate up. Turns out it's heartburn/acid reflux acting up! I've started taking 2 tums about 10 minutes before I start exercising (in addition to the PPI I've been taking every night since surgery) and it's taken care of the problem completely. You might want to give it a try, I imagine there's no harm in trying it out even if that's not the problem.

I also have exercise-induced asthma, which I've had since I was a teenager. When I'm having the start of an attack, I feel like there's a rubber band wrapped around my chest and it feels like I'm breathing through a drinking straw; I can take sips of air in, but it's very hard to breathe out. That might be something to ask your PCP about as well.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

pebtash
on 5/29/14 3:36 am
VSG on 11/25/14

That kind of sound like what I feel. My throat does burn and my chest although very lightly feels pressure but now burning. I found out today because it happened again. I thought there was burning but my memory isn't very good. I did notice though if felt like my lungs hurt some. I find it odd and at the same time I thought that this is how is was suppose to be. Thanks for replying

YettaW
on 5/30/14 8:27 am - brunswick, GA
RNY on 12/22/14

Hi, I have burning in my lungs when I excercise too hard. Mine is just plane runners lung. If I remember to breath in through my nose and out of my mouth it isn't as bad. Mind you, I am only on a light excercise regimen. That's all my body can handle.  It may be something to google. And see if you relate to it. 

Yetta

Most Active