Nexium 24 Hour Release - Post Gastric Bypass

lisashe
on 11/16/15 12:56 pm - Cary, NC

So,what is the story with Nexium 24 hour extended release capsules? Can we take them? Are they still effective for us? When searching online, I keep seeing medical information saying for us to stay away from extended release meds (which I have heard for years), because we no longer have all of our small intestine for absorption, etc. etc. However, I also find different surgery centers and doctors posting that they prescribe Nexium for their patients post op for about a month, and in once case for life, to protect the stomach lining. Is there a form of Nexium that is not extended release that I am not aware of?

I called my own surgeon's office. Now granted, I have not been there in over ten years ... I would make an appointment, but have no insurance, and don't have $75.00 to ask the doc if Nexium is okay or not.. So, the medical assistant said my chart was in storage, and she could not answer my question. It was out of her scope she said. I asked her to please ask my surgeon, and she told me he was in surgery. I didn't mean right this minute! You can tell it was a fun call... So, I may or may not get a return call from her tomorrow after she asks my doc.

This all started because it feels like I have an ulcer. I can't get it checked because I have no insurance, and no $$, but wanted to help protect my lining with Nexium, which is supposed to be better than Prilosec and Prevacid?

Thanks in advance!

Lisa :) 

GinaTx
on 11/16/15 4:21 pm

Hi. I had surgery on Nov 3rd and prior to surgery I was on protonex. When I was discharged they changed it to Prilosec because the pharmacist told me we absorb it better. 

sweetpotato1959
on 11/16/15 6:41 pm

Lisa, 

I use prevacid in 2- 15 mg 2x a day when I am in acute distress, for three days and then daily/10 days ...If i am not better in  the three days, It is my plan to see a MD.. Usually I can tell improvement within 24 hours... I am 20 yr post op. It seems to work better for me than any other medication, and is available without a RX. 

If you have taken nexium and it worked..then that is what I would recommend you take. Your own chemistry will influence what medication works for you. AT ten years post op, you will absorb enough to have the desired effect.

Denise
hollykim
on 11/16/15 8:03 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On November 16, 2015 at 8:56 PM Pacific Time, lisashe wrote:

So,what is the story with Nexium 24 hour extended release capsules? Can we take them? Are they still effective for us? When searching online, I keep seeing medical information saying for us to stay away from extended release meds (which I have heard for years), because we no longer have all of our small intestine for absorption, etc. etc. However, I also find different surgery centers and doctors posting that they prescribe Nexium for their patients post op for about a month, and in once case for life, to protect the stomach lining. Is there a form of Nexium that is not extended release that I am not aware of?

I called my own surgeon's office. Now granted, I have not been there in over ten years ... I would make an appointment, but have no insurance, and don't have $75.00 to ask the doc if Nexium is okay or not.. So, the medical assistant said my chart was in storage, and she could not answer my question. It was out of her scope she said. I asked her to please ask my surgeon, and she told me he was in surgery. I didn't mean right this minute! You can tell it was a fun call... So, I may or may not get a return call from her tomorrow after she asks my doc.

This all started because it feels like I have an ulcer. I can't get it checked because I have no insurance, and no $$, but wanted to help protect my lining with Nexium, which is supposed to be better than Prilosec and Prevacid?

Thanks in advance!

Lisa :) 

no,extended release meds no longer work for you.

MsBatt
on 11/16/15 10:31 pm

Extended release meds may or may not work well for you. The only way to know is to give them a try and see what results you get. If it's OTC, buy some and give it a try---even if it doesn't help, it's not going to hurt. And some people fiind one PPI works better for THEM than does a different one. Sometimes you just have to try and few and decide what works best for you the individual.

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/17/15 9:06 am

I take Omeprazole daily.  it is available generic, and it is the least expensive from Sams or Costco.  no insurance or script required. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active