Hemoglobin 9, Ferritin 4

Debbie P.
on 5/10/12 4:00 am - Kettering, OH
I'm about 6 years out from surgery.  Had my labs done this week.  Prealbumin was a bit low.  D was a tad low.  Calcium was slightly low.  Nothing too horrible.

Iron -- well, that's another topic. 

My hemoglobin was only a 9 and my ferritin was a 4.  Explains the exhaustion!!

Of course, my doc suggests iron infusions.  I had to have them about 3-4 years ago -- so this isn't such a big deal to me.  I will do it again.  But here is the catch.  I'm now self pay (I'm self employed).  Last time, I was on my ex-husband's COBRA so it was covered.  Now I can only get catastrophic coverage -- won't cover this at all.

So -- how do I go about doing this?  My mother has offered to pay (I know it's going to be astronomical!!).  Do I call around to different hematologists to get the best price?  Do I tell them I'm self pay and see if they will work with me on payments?  Would it be the most cost effective to get it done at once or go for weekly infusions (for 6-8 weeks as before)?  Anyone ever dealt with this?

Thanks!

Debbie ~

Krazydoglady
on 5/11/12 4:04 am - FL

With self-pay medical, the best bet is to call and tell them you're self pay.  Ask for their 'cash' price if you pay 100% at the time of each service.  Honestly, it's likely not going to be a lot more than you would have paid in co-insurance if you're on  say an 80/20 PPO plan.  'Usual and customary' used for billing insurance is generally a good bit higher than cash on the barrel-head pricing.  My surgeon, for example charges me $75 now for a visit since I'm beyond my 'plan' time.  Insurance would be billed at least $150 for the same visit, and I would be paying $30 for it. 

Carolyn  (32 lbs lost Pre-op) HW: 291, SW: 259, GW: 129.5, CW: 126.4 

Amanda-DS
on 5/12/12 3:55 am
definately go one infusion much cheaper.
They charge you for the cost of the medication, cost of  infusion set, pharmacy fee-the prep of the med (yep the pharmacy put your name on bag and sometimes they have to make up the bag too), the venipuncture ( the staff putting the needle into the vein, putting the tube in, connecting the tubing etc- and at end they pull it out) and there was another expense or two each time.

Actually many infusion centers only do the multiple infusion citing less patient reactions. When I asked my hematologist he said they can slow down the one infusion and do it over hours to lessen the local infusion reactions. Rather the hospital makes more money on doing the work 6 times.

if I had a choice self-pay or with insurance I would go for one infusion.
Gratitude is my attitude

Amanda-DS October 2001
highest >350/342 start of wls journey/ 192 @8years

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 843 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1097 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 368 views