carnation breakfast essentials

Mags W.
on 5/1/11 6:45 am
Has anyone used the no sugar added carnation breakfast post-op?  I couldn't keep the protein shakes down pre-op and am desperately looking for something I can stand the flavor of to actually sip it.  I was GULPING the shakes down pre-op to keep from vomiting.. not really an option now.
Donnamarie
on 5/1/11 7:14 am - NY
I have not tried the carnation instant, but I do have a box of it in my cabinet.  I can understand how some of the protein shakes can be difficult to stomach.  Have you tried to put some ice in it and mix it up so that it is kinda like a milkshake?  I sometimes put a teaspoon of peanut butter in and sometimes some mixed frozen fruit.  just a little bit, not a lot.  Today I had one of the Synthrax Nectar proteins, the Strawberry Mousse, and I put in two large strawberries and about 6 ounces of milk.  It was amazing!  Best thing was between the Nectar protein and the milk, I was able to get in 32 ounces of portein in one shake!!

Do you use milk or water to make your shakes?

Good luck in figuring out something that works for you!

"Accountability first to yourself, then nobody else matters"

Lisaizme
on 5/1/11 7:48 am - TX
That sounds very good.  I like the Syntrax Nectars too.

You might want to check with your nutritionist/dietician/physician and make sure that 32 grams isn't too much for you in one serving.   I've been told that more than 20 to 25 grams at a time is all our bodies can handle and that more puts strain on our kidneys.  A one time or occasional going over the 25 is probably not harmful, but I'd be cautious about taking in that much at one time routinely.

of course, your bariatric professionals might have a different viewpoint and you should do what's right for YOU.  :) :)  

I think I have a sample of the strawberry here.. and I do have some fresh strawberries.. I might make that tomorrow for my post workout drink.  .. but no milk for me.  :)   Thanks for the idea!!
Lisa
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Reinhold Niebuhr

Donnamarie
on 5/1/11 7:56 am - NY
Lisa,

Thanks for the info.  The Nectar products are 23 grams of protein in one serving.  Adding the milk alone brought it that high.  That is the very highest in one meal that I've ever gone, well, except for once eating chicken stir fry and I calculated that the chicken was 33 grams?? Thought it was a little high.  I too know that our bodies can't process more than a certain amount, not sure what it is, guess I'll be googling soon!!

Sadly, and I guess I didn't do my research, my surgeon doesn't actually have a nutritionist on staff.  There is a nutritionist at the hospital that I saw for my pre-op stuff but she doesn't work for him regularly.  After my consult she told me that if i got stumped along the way I could pay for her time, $30 for 15 minutes.  I didn't find her to be staggeringly fascinating or knowledgable so I haven't used her yet. 

I was actually splitting the Nectar protein into two servings because they suggested 8-16 ounces of liquid -- milk or water -- with the entire package.  I am only drinking like 6 ounces at a time.  It was difficult to get the total amount down so I am going back to splitting it in half.

Why don't you do milk??? You have me curious now!

"Accountability first to yourself, then nobody else matters"

Lisaizme
on 5/1/11 8:07 am - TX
I just prefer to spend my calories elsewhere.  :)   I do eat laughing cow cheese, and greek yogurt & use a little bit of milk in my coffee and a little in my oatmeal.  I'm not anti-milk, just don't use it much.  :)

I'm with you on dividing the syntrax into two doses.. I usually mix mine with 16 oz of water or crystal lite or powerade zero & 4 ice cubes.. pour about 12 ounces out to drink then and the rest goes into a bottle in the fridge for the next day.

Sorry your doc doesn't have a nutritionist that works with the practice.  My doc has one that will meet with us post-op once a month on the fourth monday of the month for free.. but if we want more I think there's a charge.  I don't remember what her rates are cause I've not needed her.
Lisa
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Reinhold Niebuhr

Mags W.
on 5/1/11 7:26 am
Pre-op I tried water, skim milk, almond milk, all with and without ice.  I've tried frozen banana, mango and strawberry (separately and together in various combos) in syntax nectar chocolate truffle, caribbean cooler, and jillian michaels triple chocolate shake.  I've also tried the peanut butter in the chocolate, and it still didn't help.
Kidplay2009
on 5/1/11 7:49 am
 My doctor's office recomended this to use after surgery to get the protine in, I used 1% milk and a pack of the carnation, it was very good! I still use it some now when I do not feel well.

Lisaizme
on 5/1/11 7:53 am - TX
Is it the sweet taste that's bothering you?   If so, Unjury has a chicken soup flavor.  www.unjury.com

I'm guessing you're still very early post-op and that's why you're looking for protein drinks? 

I only drank protein drinks once or twice during my recovery.  Honestly I didn't worry about protein.. I figured that I was only going to be a week or so on liquids and I had plenty of energy in storeage in the form of fat.  LOL.

I lived on campbells soups, that were diluted with 1/2 can of water or chicken broth and ran through the blender.

You could find unflavored protein powder and add it to soups and other things.  Unjury makes an unflavored and so does syntrax (www.si03.com)

Hope this helps.
Lisa

Mags W.
on 5/1/11 9:05 am
Lisa - this is my third day post-op, so still very early out yeah.  It's not the sweetness that bothers me, it's the whey protein itself.  We thought I was lactose intolerant but the almond milk and the water produced the same results so all signs point to the protein not settling well.

I'm afraid of slowing my healing by not getting the correct amount of protein in my system, but at this point, couldn't care less if I NEVER drink another protein shake again.
Emily F.
on 5/1/11 9:19 am
Do real whey protein shakes but add a lot of sf jello pudding powder, makes it taste better.
Most Active