Pancreatitis from not eating right or a virus !!!

nhowe61
on 5/19/15 5:33 pm

Well last night i spend a few hours in the ER with what i thought was a heart attack from hell.After blood work ,c-scan, xray, and meds. They found i have severe pancreatitis something that happens after having RYN surgery. Now i'm on clear liquids for 3 days then slowly add bland foods that are on the diet and stay away from fats. But when i got home and read the papers it said high protein and high carb diet so now what do i do.I never want the feeling again so no sugar ,no alchol,no spicy food until i can handle it and lots of meds and pain killers.Anyone who has had this please let me know.

NYMom222
on 5/19/15 6:28 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I had pancreatitis years ago pre-surgery, it was brought on by my gall bladder going bad... after the panceatitis calmed down I had to have my gall bladder out... same hospital stay. I don't remember being on any special diet after. You should call your surgeon's office, and see what they have to say. Make sure they send the records from the ER/hospital to your surgeon too, so they can see your tests.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

nhowe61
on 5/20/15 9:00 am

I have had my gallbladder out years ago thought I was good to go. Now clear liquids for 2 days no protein shakes. Then a bland diet for a week then slowly back on regular diet.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/20/15 8:56 pm - OH

There is nothing inherent in the RNY that causes pancreatitis. One of the potential causes of pancreatitis, however, is gallstones stuck in the duct, and ANY type of rapid weight loss can result in an increase in gallstones.

If they did not hospitalize you, it is likely a mild case (I have had it twice... once in 2004 (3 years before my RNY, and NOT caused by a gallstone) and about 18 months after my RNY (which WAS caused by a stuck gallstone) and both times I was hospitalized for 5 or 6 days and not allowed anything to eat OR drink for that entire time (but getting fluids via IV).  That is the standard treatment.

You will need to ask the doctor about the diet since spicy foods, sugar, and alcohol don't contribute to gallstones (but fat does). I am personally not aware of any reason that higher carbs would be desirable. Once I was permitted to eat, I went right back to my high protein, limited fat, and limited carb post-RNY diet.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

nhowe61
on 5/21/15 10:15 am

I live in a small town of less than 29000 people they asked if i wanted to  admitted but we asked if we could just go home and take care of it there and that i would keep in contact with my doctor. To be admitted i would of had to be air lifted to a bigger town hospital so i took the fluids and chose to try it at home.If this was mild i dont want worse. It was worse than my labor pains that is enough.I just need to straighten out the diet to keep this thing calm. low fat no sugar i can do that!

Most Active
Recent Topics