How do I know which surgery to get?

anggrneyes
on 5/28/14 5:32 am

I am having a hard time deciding which procedure to look into further.  How does anyone decide which one is best for them?  Do I just schedule a consult with a surgeon and go from there?  Thanks!

Tracy D.
on 5/28/14 6:16 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Find a surgeon or - better yet - a surgical center/practice that offers all the various surgeries.  Most of the time you'll find that certain surgeons "specialize" in one or the other but as a group they can provide all of the options available.   Sign up for one of their informational seminars and they will do a good job of providing you with information about each of the procedures they perform.  Make sure to do your research ahead of time and ask them about complication rates, deaths, number of procedures performed per year, etc.  

Only when you have this type of information can you really start digging in and doing even more research before making a decision.  Right now you don't have enough info to make an informed decision.  

Good luck! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Member Services
on 5/28/14 6:55 am - Irvine, CA

Congratulations on taking control of your life and your weight loss journey.   ​ We suggest you research all your options for WLS and OH is the right place for that.  Once you have reviewed your options surgery wise and decided on one then your next step is to find a surgeon.  We can help you with that.     ​​ Here are some links that will be helpful in your research.

​If you have not done so, contact your insurance company and verify if they cover WLS and if so what procedures.​  

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/choice-of-bariatric-proc edure-a-philosophy-obtained-in-20-years-of-bariatric-practic e-2/http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/choice-of-bariatric-proc edure-a-philosophy-obtained-in-20-years-of-bariatric-practic e-2/

If you need any further assistance we can be reached at [email protected]

Regards,

Member Services

Mary Gee
on 5/28/14 1:35 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

I didn't have to decide between RNY (gastric bypass) and VSG (sleeve****il I met with the surgeon about a month before my actual surgery.  During the "pre-op process" (which generally takes about six months) and reading the boards here, you'll learn a lot more about the pros and cons of each surgery.  First things first is confirming insurance coverage for all procedures.  Have you read "About Weight Loss Surgery" on this site?  (Click on "Resources" at the top of the page, on the blue bar.)  Generally, RNY and VSG are readily available; DS is not done everywhere.

Good Luck on your continued research.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Valerie G.
on 5/28/14 10:20 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

WLS is not one-size-fits-all, so its important to look at your own body and how it reacts to past attempts at losing weight.  

• Do you simply eat too much and that's your core problem?   -or-
  • Does your body fight you tooth and nail to see results no matter how hard you work at it?
    • Do you lose easily and gain it all bck again?
    • Do you have GERD?
    • Do you have an ongoing need for NSAIDS?

All of these questions will guide you to the better procedure selection.  Learn all you can about the RNY (gastric bypass), VSG (sleeve), and DS (duodenal switch).  Ask your insurance company what they cover - for that can narrow down the list faster than anything.  Compare what you learn about each procedure to what you know about yourself.  This is much more effective than a 10 min meeting with a surgeon who has his own favorite procedure.  There are boards out here specific to each (and many other not as popular) of the procedures.  See what they are asking about, raving about and complaining about to get an idea of what life is like thereafter.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Valerie G.
on 5/28/14 10:25 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

WLS is not one-size-fits-all, so its important to look at your own body and how it reacts to past attempts at losing weight.  

• Do you simply eat too much and that's your core problem?   -or-
  • Does your body fight you tooth and nail to see results no matter how hard you work at it?
    • Do you lose easily and gain it all bck again?
    • Do you have GERD?
    • Do you have an ongoing need for NSAIDS?

All of these questions will guide you to the better procedure selection.  Learn all you can about the RNY (gastric bypass), VSG (sleeve), and DS (duodenal switch).  Ask your insurance company what they cover - for that can narrow down the list faster than anything.  Compare what you learn about each procedure to what you know about yourself.  This is much more effective than a 10 min meeting with a surgeon who has his own favorite procedure.  There are boards out here specific to each (and many other not as popular) of the procedures.  See what they are asking about, raving about and complaining about to get an idea of what life is like thereafter.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

MsBatt
on 5/29/14 11:15 am

I personally advocate choosing your procedure first, then choosing a surgeon based on his experience and track record doing that procedure.

I agree with everything Val said. No one will ever know you better than you. Ask yourself the hard questions: Why am I fat? Why haven't I been able to lose and maintain on my own? What am I willing to/what CAN I change permanently, and still be happy? What affect with each surgery type have on my individual medical issues, be they current or just ones my family history says I'm at risk for?

I recommend looking further into all three (VSG, RNY, DS). When you know them all inside out and upside down, I think you'll know which is right for you.

Most Active