4 weeks post-op today! Is this normal?

Erin S.
on 6/6/22 7:38 am

I've gone 1 week without any weight loss and am nervous because I cheated. Is that normal to have a week without any weight loss? or are my small cheats bigger than I think? I ate some cheez whiz and crackers. twice, about 10 each. when does the compulsion to eat go away? how do I get it to go away?

catwoman7
on 6/6/22 8:23 am, edited 6/6/22 1:24 am
RNY on 06/03/15

yes. Do a search on this site on the "three week stall" (it's not always the third week, it can happen any time during the first 4-6 weeks after surgery, but the third week is the most common - hence, the name). You're likely to find hundreds of posts on this. Almost everyone has their first major stall then. Just stick to your program and stay off the scale for a few days. It'll break - and you'll be on your way again!

P.S. It usually lasts 1-3 weeks.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Partlypollyanna
on 6/6/22 10:27 am
RNY on 02/14/18

CW gave you great advice about the three week stall. I wanted to answer your question about "when does the compulsion to eat go away". I don't think it does, you have to work on your triggers and coping mechanisms the same way the surgeon worked on your body. Some days are easier than others for sure! Good luck!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

sor09
on 6/21/22 7:19 am

It never ends, and it's all about coping and managing what you do with food. Accountability and responsibility are based on coping skills learned in pre-op training. If you did not get this type of training, there are web site and folks doing video blogs about their struggles and things they face post-op. We only need for living and not self-medicating post-op. You have fat stores to burn off and it will not be in a few weeks or a few months. You are still healing and not everyone heals or loses at the same rate. Fat loss is not linear.

Cathy H.
on 6/11/22 12:55 pm
VSG on 10/31/16
sor09
on 6/21/22 7:13 am

You just had selective serious surgery.

Your body is still filled with medications and VI fluids from your surgery.

Mindfulness with what you drink and eat is very important. It will be months before all the cuts inside and your guts will have healed. it will take time and there is no rush.

Becareful and be safe.

Jmm4321
on 6/21/22 6:16 pm

Oh my god, not the Cheese Wiz!!!, anything but that. :)

Full disclosure I'm eating a Milky Way while I'm writing this. You're definitely going to screw up every day, but as long as you generally follow the program you'll lose a good deal of weight. For whatever discretions I have in my daily eating, there are many permanent better life choices I make that combined with the surgery are enough.

After WLS I lost maybe 12lbs the first 6 weeks and saw others on this board showing 20 to 30lbs a month. I felt good regardless and after a year or so, I was down about 150lbs. I keep it off with exercise and mostly eating healthy but lots of fruits, carbs and some sweets every day.

Most Active