Any teens out there who had WLS??

MissCarpeDiem 2010
on 11/8/10 4:42 am
 Looking around this site to see if any teens had weight loss surgery. I am 18 years old and had surgery 5 months ago.

post if you have had surgery or interested in having surgery. would love to hear from you :)
curvaceousdiva
on 11/27/10 2:56 am - Hyattsville, MD
My daughter is getting it in a couple months... She's 18 as well. Which surgery did you get?
Babygirl got her surgery March 3rd...     She's from 339 to 200 as of 6/14/2012.. SOO proud of my bigbabygirl                                                                   
MissCarpeDiem 2010
on 11/28/10 12:04 am
 I got the VSG (Vertical Sleeve)
Bethy009
on 12/14/10 1:50 pm

Hey,
My name is Bethany.  I am 17 and had the sleeve gastrectomy on Oct. 11th.  I too am interested in finding other teens to share this journey with.

asoulinrhyme
on 4/6/11 5:14 am
Hey all!
My name is Lauren. I am 18 and had Lap-Band surgery in July of 2008.
Would love to make connections as a lot of people our age can not relate to the process. :)

Banded 7/29/08

Starting Weight: 240         Goal Weight: 140            Current Weight: 119

Ashley O.
on 4/12/11 11:18 am
I havent had a surgery yet, but i got approved for it. My next appointment is next month. I have to be in the program for 3 months before my insurance will pay for the surgery.

I"m 15, by the way. (:
dawn88
on 4/21/12 7:34 am - OH
how did you get approved for surgery, my daughter is 14 5'10 and 325lbs, she has always had a weight problem, she weighed 100lbs in kindergarten. it is all well documented, even her primary doctor thinks she would benifit from surgery, but of course the insurance company is fighting it, saying she has to be 18, any advice would be wonderful
Ashley O.
on 4/22/12 11:26 pm
I'm 5'3" and my highest weight was 285lbs. i know my bmi was around 48 or so.. i'm not entirely sure what your daughters bmi is, or if she has any comorbidies..

The best advice i can say is just consult with a surgeonw ho will operate on a minor, and send a request ot insurance... and if they dney, just continue appealing.. that's all you can do. if your insurance wont budge, then they wont. I was really lucky in that my insurance was really complient.. they covered it immediatley.. I had caresource (medicaid) at the time. we don't have ti anymore, unfortunatley.. but yeah.

I'm not sure where you live, but i live in ohio.. i'm not sure state by state if different insurances have different policies... but if you can wing it, theres always the self pay option.. see if theres any way you could work it out with the surgeons office to pay it off over time.. something liek that. or just start saving aside a little money now... a little bit each paycheck and see how quickly it adds up.

I really hope you all figure it out. I did respond to your message onf acebook by the way, and if you have any other questions/concerns feel free to message me anywhere.. or if your daughter has any questions or anything i'd be happy to talk to her, too. (:

have a great day.

-ashley

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting some kind of battle."
~

Check out my blog? (: www.ourfightnow.net
~

ashli H.
on 1/11/12 2:29 am - NY
My name is Ashli and i had gastric bypass in June '11. :) 

Sw: 241 Weight on SD: 221 GW: 130        
CarlyEvette
on 12/30/10 1:29 pm - TN
Hi, I'm Carly.

I'm 19, and had a gastric bypass RNY a month ago.
It's nice to know I'm not the only teen on here. :]
Nothing splendid has ever been achieved except by those who dared believe that something inside of them was superior to circumstance. -Bruce Barton

Most Active