Helpful self-messaging

Jenny C.
on 10/27/13 3:36 am

Hi all,

I'm 2 1/2 years out, and about 10 pounds up from my lowest weight of 135.  I feel at times that my body is trying to regain weight, that cravings for high calorie foods are more than just "head hunger."  In my opinion, it is body hunger, but not necessarily stomach hunger, if that makes sense.  In a way, it doesn't matter to me what the hell it is, I only know that I have a struggle going on right now.  Especially now!  This particular season change is my least favorite, ick.

In my strategizing for how to win this struggle, I realize that the things I say to myself can be helpful or harmful, and I'm coming up with a list of messages that make me feel strong and committed to the nutrition principles that are important to me and my health.  I'm going to try picking one a day that I focus on so they don't get stale!  Please add messages that are helpful to you if you have them:

• I feed my body good nutrition
  • Cravings are temporary
  • I will eat slowly and enjoy every bite of this healthy meal
  • Strong and lean keeps me fast on the bike
  • Simple carbs are unhealthy and lead to more cravings
  • More water helps!

Tracy D.
on 10/27/13 3:45 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13
I only eat food that is safe and healthy for me.
Everything I eat now turns to health and beauty.
I accept for myself perfect health.
I am losing weight now easily and safely.

These are all favorites of mine.

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Jenny C.
on 10/27/13 5:48 am

Adding those to my list!  Fantastic.

kimbethin
on 10/27/13 4:21 am - CA

I love your positive self talk!  What a great plan!

putting one foot in front of the other...        
Member Services
on 10/27/13 4:25 am - Irvine, CA

Awesome posts!   OH members ROCK!

(deactivated member)
on 10/27/13 6:17 am

The most likely explanation to what is going on with your body is that the set point you were at before losing weight is getting harder and harder to fight off.  Here are a few affirmations that might help..

I eat mindfully, slowly chewing each bite.

I am grateful for the opportunity to eat healthy food as it nourishes my soul as well as my body,

I take a breath of gratitude between each bite.

I am done eating when the pre-measured food on my plate is gone or as soon as I feel comfortable.

Jenny C.
on 10/27/13 7:25 am

Thanks, Elina, those are lovely.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 10/27/13 7:50 am
VSG on 10/09/12

Nice ones! Hard though when the message inside my head spins around saying "fuck it all and pass the fries." Its difficult if not impossible to truly get it when fresh out from surgery. It is not a cake walk one year out and probably going to get even more of a challenge as the years move along. I know exactly what you mean too, I never feel the stomach hunger anymore but sometimes I am just compelled to eat and usually when that happens, bad things get eaten or damn good things but calorie dense. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Dakinbar Yes
on 10/27/13 9:38 am
VSG on 05/07/14

Food is for fuel, not for fun!

The food you eat can be either the safest and most powerful form of medicine or the slowest form of poison

reneemosley
on 10/28/13 2:55 pm - WA
VSG on 05/21/12
Jenny struggle sucks. It will always be there in various degrees. Here are a couple I use alot.
When I eat crap I feel like crap.
To continue to be a trail runner I need sustainable fuel for my bod.
Its like getting drunk or giving birth.....we forget the bad part and do it again.

You will conquer Jenny.

Band 5/2006          Revision to VSG 5/2012

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 148 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 422 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 442 views