Okay vets, let's get our list of tips on how to lose the weight: DS-Eating 101

sia
on 7/30/09 5:16 am - NY
 BOOKMARKING!  Thank you!!! 
We Are A Fever. We Are A Fever. We ain't born typical. ~ The Kills
If you have any g-ddamn sense and want WLS, think about the DS.www.dsfacts.com
CAJUNMAN3366
on 7/30/09 5:44 am - Breaux Bridge, LA
thanks for the info i was approved Monday surgery date is 8/13/09. this will really help!!!
Amanda-DS
on 7/30/09 6:15 am
1) Age at surgery 44

2) Pre- and Post-op Activity level (choose one: active, sedentary, etc.)pre-op water aerobics deep water 3 times a week. Post-op I teach aqaquajog, water yogawalk, aquaweights, water starfish. water rehab-for 1-2 hours daily 5 days a week.

3) CC length/stomach size_ Hess method 10% of entire length, 3 oz stomach

4) Surgery weight/Highest weight/Current weight: now now don't forget the height 5'81/2 inches at surgery got one inch back after 1 year: 326/>400lbs/182

5) How far out are you from surgery now?7 1/2 years

6) Typical menu at 3 months out/6 months out/1 year out (be as specific as you can)
Protein first, then vegetables >fruit, then carbs if any room left over. At one year I was a BMI of 27 and I wanted to slow down my loss so I added in 2 snacks a day of up to 200 calories of carbs---fun carbs/ tasty carbs!!

7) Your basic strategy.  Did you low carb, or take a less anal path.  By following my surgeons rules protein>veggies> fruit>white carbs. I was always low-carbing.

8) If you're in maintenance mode now, how do you eat now as compared to while you were losing? I still eat my major meals the same protein>veggies>fruit. With the exception that one hour before teaching water aerobic classes I always have a protein bar.

9) Do you have a plan to avoid regain? I have maintained my weight for over 5 1/2 years after wls/ rapid weight loss/ and 3 plastic surgerieswas done

10) Tip for newbies you'd like to share
Trilogy of DS
1) Nutrition: you need to eat right and take your supplements and minerals.
2) Exercise: for cardiovascular health, for mental health, for preventive care of your joints and bones.
3) Mental: you need to cultivate a sense of responsibility and caring for yourself. You need to surround yourself with people that will care for you this can be mental health care provider, support group local or on-line, clergy or family.

It is in the balance of all three elements that success will be found.

Gratitude is my attitude

Amanda-DS October 2001
highest >350/342 start of wls journey/ 192 @8years

kymma29
on 7/30/09 6:16 am - willow park, TX
OMG  This is absolutly amazing !   Just what all of us Newbies needed.  Thank you all so much.
Valerie G.
on 7/30/09 6:36 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
1) Age at surgery
2) Pre- and Post-op Activity level (choose one: active, sedentary, etc.)
Low/moderate, yet painful activity level - active when duty called.  Today, very active, just try and keep up when I've got an agenda.
3) CC length/stomach size
100cc stomach, 100 cm common channel
4) Surgery weight/Highest weight/Current weight
272/286/144
5) How far out are you from surgery now?
3 yrs., 10 mos
6) Typical menu at 3 months out/6 months out/1 year out (be as specific as you can)
3 - 6 mos:  nuts, a few bites of lots of stuff
1 yr out - a little bit of everything, lots of ricotta cheese.
7) Your basic strategy.  Did you low carb, or take a less anal path. 
Protein first > then veggies > then what you want with whatever room is left
8) If you're in maintenance mode now, how do you eat now as compared to while you were losing?
I'm a lot more liberal today than I once was.  I eat more goodies
9) Do you have a plan to avoid regain?
Kinda.  I notice when I'm craving carbs stronger than I like to.  I load up on my favorite protein snack foods so they're there at a moments notice.
Don't make it harder than it has to be.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Margaret W.
on 7/30/09 6:51 am - TX
1) Age at surgery 29

sedentary

3) CC length/stomach size 75 / 3 oz

4) Surgery weight/Highest weight/Current weight 346/346/280

5) How far out are you from surgery now? 3 mos

6) Typical menu at 3 months out/6 months out/1 year out (be as specific as you can) 3 months - (B) 4 slices of bacon, (L) rolled up mozz cheese w/ meat, (D) 1/3 of a fajita mexican salad, various snacks - nuts

7) Your basic strategy.  Did you low carb, or take a less anal path.  lower carb than pre-op but I don't count them

8) If you're in maintenance mode now, how do you eat now as compared to while you were losing? not there yet

9) Do you have a plan to avoid regain?  i will go back to basics, and always focus on protein first

10) Tip for newbies you'd like to share  stop worrying so much and comparing your loss to others.  it WILL happen, just enjoy the ride

colene
on 7/30/09 7:10 am
1) Age at surgery
pre op: senentary...post op active
3) CC length/stomach size
cc 50ish   2 ounce
4) Surgery weight/Highest weight/Current weight
387 pounds highest weight and at time of surgery...now 162
5) How far out are you from surgery now?
nearly 8 years...
3 months I ate as reccommended by physician..protien first then veggies or fruits
6 months out:  protien first followed by veggies and very little carb...like potatoes
1 year post op:  protien first followed by veggies and potatoes
7) Your basic strategy.  Did you low carb, or take a less anal path. 
Early out (during the first few weeks) I did not follow the low carb path as I was experiencing alot of difficulties with foods....though as I was more able to tolerate new foods I added more variety and much more protien.  After about the 3rd month I was able to tolerate many more foods and felt stronger by the day...
8) If you're in maintenance mode now, how do you eat now as compared to while you were losing?
I now eat pretty much the same as I did during the weight loss phase with the exception I allow myself the desserts if I want them...and from time to time enjoy more carbs.  Not every day however from time to time!

9) Do you have a plan to avoid regain?
Thus far I have had no regain though when/if it happens...back to the DS basics

Listen to your body, it will show you little signs of what it needs.  Take your vitamins faithfully and protien protien protien....Also, enjoy your new life and all of the new experiences awaiting to the fullest!

Beam me up Scottie
on 7/30/09 7:22 am
If someone has the link to the lab rat data that might be really helpful.

Scott
BeSwitched
on 7/30/09 8:39 am, edited 2/12/12 1:49 am

kidnee
on 7/30/09 9:47 am - WILLIAMSTOWN , NJ
Bookmarking it. thanks guys

Donna      HW 242   SW 227  CW 117 

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 622 views
calcium/protein