One year ago today......who could have known?

Kerry J.
on 9/17/09 12:27 am, edited 1/5/10 2:55 am - Santa Clara, UT
I've been thinking about what I would post today for some time now and to tell the truth, the words escape me; I really do not know what to say to communicate what I've been through and what I'm feeling and thinking.

The changes are massive, much more so than the 90 pounds I've lost have caused my body to change. My attitude, my confidence, my peace of mind, my relationship with Barb and my family, my business, my employees, my vendors, my friends; in fact my relationships with everyone I know and everything I'm involved with have all changed to some degree. How can I explain this to you, or to anyone for that matter; the changes are so far reaching that I doubt I even understand what all is going on.

That being said, let me just start with what things looked like a year ago and then try and explain what it meant. I'll start with a picture I took the night before surgery, followed by one of me in the recovery room after 8 1/2 hours of surgery, then one more of me sleeping after the second surgery. I can hardly remember how I felt back then, but I do remember it was pure misery:

OK, that's it for the misery and old me. I will say though that I had a long recovery, it was two months before I could eat and start feeling human again. But once I got over that revcovery hump, things just got better and better. Here I am between 4 & 5 months out:

Here I am after my first solo in a chopper May 6, 2009 about 8 months out:

I got my rotorcraft rating in June and crossed off one of my goals, then in July, I went water skiing for the first time in over ten years, it was incredible:

We went fishing in Alaska in August, this is me and a 70 lb. Halibut, I also had a 48" Lincod on the same line when I reeled this sucker in, I thought I had Moby Dick on the line!

I would not have been able to ski or reel in those fish if it weren't for Patty & Christy, they have been great in helping me get my strength and stamina back, it feels so good to be fit, strong and ready for anything, I really appreciate their help and I actually love going to the work outs, they really do make it fun and interesting:

Here's a picture of me cooling off in the back yard after one of the work out sessions:

And this is just an hour or so ago just heading off to work:

How do I put this year into words? I have no words to express the gratitude, the hope, the positive outlook, the wonder I have now at how great life can be. How do I convey to people who are struggling with their obesity that there is hope and a wonderful life waiting for them, if they will just do it.

I just do not know what else to say, WOW, WOW, WOW, WOW. I love my DS and I love life!

I hope you all have a great day, I'm planning on it!

Kerry
Redhaired
on 9/17/09 12:32 am, edited 9/17/09 12:32 am - Mouseville, FL
Congratulations on your success and all of your accomplishments.  For an old guy, you have done well!

Red

ETA:  Yes, I know, kettle meet pot!!!!!!

Kerry J.
on 9/17/09 12:35 am - Santa Clara, UT
LOL! 

Red, I have to say that I now really believe you're only as old as you feel and I don't feel old anymore!

Kerry
Redhaired
on 9/17/09 12:41 am - Mouseville, FL

Kerry-
I have to agree. 

carmeldip32
on 9/17/09 12:42 am - Brooklyn, NY
Wow Kerry,

What a difference a year can make  You look fantastic!!  You have been doing a lot of living this past year, and that is the beauty of wls. To help us live the life we have always wished for, congrats and lets hope this year is even more kick ass!!!!

P.S. get some sun on them legs
HW-346/SW-294/CW-158/GW-160
Be Blessed
Deirdre

"Your life becomes the thing you have decided it shall be."
– Raymond Charles Barker 
Kerry J.
on 9/17/09 1:10 am, edited 9/17/09 1:10 am - Santa Clara, UT
LOL!!! Thanks Deirdre, but believe it or not, those legs have had some sun...I just don't tan worth a darn, you guys with the olive / brown skin are so lucky, this white skin really sucks! I have to hide from the sun when I'm at the lake and keep SPF 50 on everything or I burn like crazy.

Kerry
Fade2Pink
on 9/17/09 12:46 am - Salt Lake City, UT
Kerry, I loved reading your update, Happy Surgiversary!!  You have such a great attitude, I do so admire you.  Congrats on all of your successes, measurable and immeasurable.  You rock, sir, indeed! 
Duodenal Switch 4/29/09
Loving my DS!!

Kerry J.
on 9/17/09 1:07 am - Santa Clara, UT
Ah thanks Maria, I almost feel guilty I'm enjoying life so much these days.

And you're heading in the same direction!

Kerry
Renee2007
on 9/17/09 12:50 am - Central, FL
I can't believe it's been a year already. What a gerat update and I completely understand how it's difficult to put into words just how incredible the changes are. Your pictures do a great job of showing a small part of that. Congratulations Kerry!

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

Kerry J.
on 9/17/09 1:05 am - Santa Clara, UT
Me either Renee, this past year has just flown by.

Thanks for your encouragement and positive attitude!

Kerry
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 314 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 778 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 259 views