Hematologist

Blank Out
on 7/14/11 7:32 am
 Just wanted to say I am sorry you are going through this.  And, HOLY CRAP, didn't recognize you in your new profile pic!!!  Wow!  

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

Kayla B.
on 7/14/11 7:14 pm, edited 7/14/11 7:14 pm - Austin, TX
I had my first appointment with a hematologist today :)  Seems to be a trend going this week.

I am going to dump clotting stuff and vitamin K on my hema as well and he's already ordered a bunch of clotting tests and testing for diseases just in case.  He said he pretty much tests everyone for HIV, hepatitis, lupus, and RA just to be thorough.  I loved him!  He said he's never heard of a DS--but it going to look into it. 

My hematologist makes the infusion sound like no big deal at all.  I've heard of some people going to the hospital (and I know Julie has to be admitted because of her allergic reaction), but mine does it in the office and he said there's some days the whole infusion room is just a bunch of WLSers lined up!  He says some people even come get their infed infusion during their lunch break...lol.  I was talking to someone about a really awesome infusion called Feraheme.  Seems like if the office offered it, they probably would have mentioned it.  But it's a high dose in a short period of time (instead of other infusions, which are either small amounts several times, or large amount over large amount of time).  Sounds awesome and I'm going to ask my hematologist about it before I decide as well.

So strange for a male to have anemia (especially since you had it pre-op!).  Hopefully it's just a personal absorption problem.  With you being anemic prior to surgery, I'd probably ditch the oral iron for good.  I'm going to ditch mine.  Too much money and side effects for it to be doing nothing.  No problem spending it or going through that stuff if it worked, but it doesn't, so I'm just not going to stress about it anymore.  It took 300mg polysaccharide, 300mg carbonyl AND 2 proferrins to get my ferritin from 19 to 69.  That's a lot of freaking iron.  And money.

But I recently had plastics and had a bleeding complication and needed a blood transfusion, so I'm pretty tapped out of iron right now.

Please keep me updated on your results and infusion :)

5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
scoob
on 7/14/11 9:37 pm - Somerset, KY
Hope they just give your ass an infusion and all is well. Will be thinking about ya! HUGS

Ruby

tazmaddy34 is my HW/SW/CW/GW 346/335/183/150   5'4.25"

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 964 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1162 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 427 views